Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
1969 27' Overlander
Axtell , Texas
Buying an '87 Excella

About to buy an 87 excella 29' rear bedroom trailer. What made the excella an upgrade to other Models? Any warnings??

Reesestream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That is a good question. The Excella I believe was the middle of the road model. The limited was the top of the line and I am sure it had a lot of custom stuff. I think it is just like a car. The Excella had a few more extras included in the package. You can do some research on

Pull the carpet under the beds in the back corners. I bet you will find rotten wood. Also look to the right of the door and pull up the carpet. Also sometime in the 80's they went to particle board or OSB as it is called which is not as water resistant as the old marine plywood was. I had to replace the last 4 ft of floor in mine as a result of the plate above the bumper leaking water into the rear subfloor. Center bath is better because the frame is not so stressed and the rear floor can be replace without gutting the trailer.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by Reesestream View Post
About to buy an 87 excella 29' rear bedroom trailer. What made the excella an upgrade to other Models? Any warnings??
If it was parked for a long time, check the condition of the rubber rods in the axles.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If the axels are the only thing that needs replaceing you got a good one. Don't take the seller's word for anything. If you can't see it work then assume it does not. "No leaks" is a red flag. Many leaks on an Airstream are under the floor covering or neglected plumbing leaks. You can access the water heater area under the sink in the bathroom if it is like mine. You can check the floor integrity in there. Also look under the false bottom on the closet where the water pump is.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Some are just Excellas, and then some are labeled "Excella Classic" like our 1992 29'. Our Excella Classic has parquet floor in the living room and
area (original). Lots of little extras in the trim, but not a lot of difference. Beautiful engraved mirrored cabinets on the entertainment center in the classic model, mirrored closet doors, doorbell, etc.
We bought one recently that is just an "Excella" - 1987. It has the tambor- or whatever they call them - sliding up cabinet covers on both ends, but is oak otherwise. Our Excella Classic has all oak cabinetry. The Excella is a little plainer in our opinion.

Both our trailers have OSB. If it's kept dry, no problem. If there are rotten spots not too big, you can patch. If there are tiny wet or soft spots, fill 'em up with that Rid Rot, or Git Rot, or whatever that epoxy stuff is. On our little spot by the door (most all old ones have it) we filled it up with's hard as a rock. We replaced half the back floor on the curbside because a gasket seal had failed on the storage compartment and it had gotten wet. (pretty common) The rest is fine.

Don't get scared. You bought a great trailer! We've hauled our 1992 over 25,000 miles. She has never faltered. We worried so much when we first bought ours we couldn't enjoy it. Just enjoy! Fix and fix up as you want, but USE it, and you'll be happy!
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins HD
1987 Excella 32'

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
It depends on the year, in some years there were excellas and excella 500s, later excella 1000s. Later still there were excella classics and excella limiters. To make things more confusing, there was also overlap! So depending in the year, an excella can be the very top of the line most tricked-out with options and finishes, or it can be less so.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have an 87 Excella, 32', that we bought 3 years ago. It does have OSB floors. If it has the vista window over the windows in front that was a source of a big leak and some floor rot and frame rust on ours. Check the A frame at the front under the battery compartments for rust. Check floor under WH and in the compartments at the rear. We like it but we had some work to do on it to make it roadworthy. The models are confusing. I gave up trying to understand. When you go to Airstream they do not even know what to call it. I would think the 29 ft would be a great size.

Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote

buying, excella