Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1987 - 1989 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #41
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
devils advocate question

While at Sutton's RV in Eugene, OR, I saw a 34 foot AS, that was a toy hauler. So, what did the factory do to the weak AS frame so as to be able to haul a smart car inside-Behind the rear axle+ all the weight of the opening clam shell rear door? just askin'
ol' bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #42
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
While at Sutton's RV in Eugene, OR, I saw a 34 foot AS, that was a toy hauler. So, what did the factory do to the weak AS frame so as to be able to haul a smart car inside-Behind the rear axle+ all the weight of the opening clam shell rear door? just askin'
ol' bill
Not the same chassis, nor is the slide out models, the same chassis.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Our AS bought used came with a rear mounted hitch receiver.

Based on what I read on this forum, I decided I would take the advice given and opted not to use it. I cut it off.

Who knows if damage has been already created? I couldn't see any evidence though.

I carry our bicycles on a front mounted hitch on our truck as I have done without any problem for the last 12 years or so. Works fine for us - also i can keep an eye on teh bikes to ensure all is well, and worst case scenario, if anyone runs over them it will be me!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
We also carry the bikes out front. Since our truck also works as a snow plow in the winter we use the plow mount and a extra "plow side" upright with a few modifications to hold 4 bikes. I must say that driving in the rain at night makes BAD visibility from the reflections and spray. When it gets to bad I remove the bike tires (this helps a LOT) or toss them in the trailer depending on the weather.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
We also carry the bikes out front. Since our truck also works as a snow plow in the winter we use the plow mount and a extra "plow side" upright with a few modifications to hold 4 bikes. I must say that driving in the rain at night makes BAD visibility from the reflections and spray. When it gets to bad I remove the bike tires (this helps a LOT) or toss them in the trailer depending on the weather.
I agree, that is the only downside. In our case though, it isn't all that bad - and we rarely travel at night, so not much of an issue.

I always suspected that if a LEO wanted to be picky with you, it probably isn'y technically legal, but so far no problems.

The bikes don't really impinge on my field of vision, I barely see the handlebars & seats above the hood line. I think there is a bit of impact on the headlights though, and you can get a little reflection from the bikes.

I guess there is no perfect solution.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
We have travelled many miles over the years with bikes. 2 adults & three kids. We had previously traded in our truck for a Chevy Suburban & although it was a lot more comfortable for the rear seat passengers, we had no place for our 5 bikes inside the vehicle. (With our old setup, all the bikes & gear were inside the Truck box under a canopy.)

I had a 24 foot SOB. I installed a receiver hitch to the rear bumper and it was welded to the bumper and frame as well. We had set this up for a cross-Canada Trailer trip. It was quite Skookum...BUT:

With the bike rack on (a large rack) and our *five* bikes the bloody thing was a nightmare in terms of trailer sway and reduced handling. By the time we got to Winnipeg we had to seek out a welding shop to repair the rack that was starting to fall apart. The rest of the trip was quite a white-knuckle ride due to the altered handling of the overall rig but there were no more issues with the rack threatening to fall apart.

Although I don't think it was beyond the capabilities of the frame of the trailer, I would not mount anything weighty on the rear bumper again due to its significant adverse effect on the handling of the whole package.

The Truck & Canopy works very well. I'm back to that again & am happy.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
I have given thought to adding head lights to the bike rack. They would bolt right up to the plow mount and I have a spare set from another plow. Just have to figure out the wiring (without the plow the "trigger" wire that switches from truck lights to plow lights automatically would not be there.)

When we carry only the adult bikes there is no problem with visibility. But the kids bikes have smaller frames and tires and they catch the light just right (or wrong).

With the discussions we have had with L E O's none of them mind the bikes up front and all look the rack over and think it is a great multi purpose tool. Granted all conversations were as we were pulling in to a campground and not on the road. They never bring it up as a "legal or not" thing. They just think it is neat.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
I have given thought to adding head lights to the bike rack. They would bolt right up to the plow mount and I have a spare set from another plow. Just have to figure out the wiring (without the plow the "trigger" wire that switches from truck lights to plow lights automatically would not be there.)

When we carry only the adult bikes there is no problem with visibility. But the kids bikes have smaller frames and tires and they catch the light just right (or wrong).

With the discussions we have had with L E O's none of them mind the bikes up front and all look the rack over and think it is a great multi purpose tool. Granted all conversations were as we were pulling in to a campground and not on the road. They never bring it up as a "legal or not" thing. They just think it is neat.
Adding lights might be a legal issue. I'd check with you state DMV beforehand.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Followed this guy 40 miles - bike didn't move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ Excella View Post
I am looking for a 2 bike rack that will mount to the rear storage bumper of my 1989 32' Excella. Can anyone recomend one and how to mount? Has anyone had any problems with mounting/trailering this way?
I posted this once before but don't remember which thread. It's a home made bike rack and had been used for at least 10 years without any of the problems mentioned above. I followed this trailer for about 40 miles and never saw any movement.

Carol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack 5 - reduced.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	94429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack 6 - reduced.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	94430  

Old 01-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #50
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
I posted this once before but don't remember which thread. It's a home made bike rack and had been used for at least 10 years without any of the problems mentioned above. I followed this trailer for about 40 miles and never saw any movement.

Carol
Carol.

You may not have seen any movement, but there is positive rear end separation, by at least 1/2 inch, that can clearly be seen.

That photo shows the bumper supporting some of the weight of the bikes.

Andy
Old 01-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Carol.

You may not have seen any movement, but there is positive rear end separation, by at least 1/2 inch, that can clearly be seen.

That photo shows the bumper supporting some of the weight of the bikes.

Andy

Andy,

Actually the brackets above and below the window support the weight and the flat bars you see on the bumper simply help to stabilize the unit. I had the chance to get a good look at the trailer at a Rest Area and spoke with the owner. He said he had originally used rivets to hold on the brackets and modified design by reattaching the them with bolts and nuts through the trailer to the interior, I believe that was when he added the vertical flat bars.

Yes there does appear to be a slight gap between the holding tank and body. Isn't this one of the problems with this era trailer, having the holding tank hanging off the back end of the frame? Really bad design, right? My guess it that this is an early to mid-seventies trailer. I'm sure you or some other more knowledgeable folks could probably pinpoint the year. Considering the age, the trailer looked really good. I did ask if there had been any problems and explained my concern was due to what I had read on this Forum about bike racks on Airstreams. He said nothing changed since adding the rack.

The whole thing was made of aluminum, so it really looked like part of the trailer.

Carol
Old 01-22-2010, 06:52 AM   #52
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
One other point.... it sure is eugly.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #53
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Carol.

Sorry, but I disagree.

In looking at the other photo, you can clearly see rear end separtation on both sides of the frame.

A seller, will always say, "everything is fine" and regarding the separation, nothing has change.

To me, that hogwash.

If you don't very soon correct the separation, you will be replacing some flooring as well, if not already needing replacement.

The mere design of the bike carrier, shows that when the trailer hits a bump, the rsult of that bump, will indeed apply pressure to the top of the bumper, which in turn will cause separation.

I doubt that any movement of that rack could be seen at 50 feet away or so, following it down the highway.

The moment arm adds to the vibration intensity. Couple that with probably lack of correct running gear balance, and there's the results.

Yes, it's all to easy to blame the black water tank as the cause. But, in reality, balancing or lack thereof, is the direct cause, not the black tank.

When you have the trailer repaired, do not fall for the elephant ear repair, since it's at best, a short lived mickey mouse attempt to correct a serious problem.

Human nature clearly says that none of us ever make a mistake or abuse the way we treat equipment. It's always the manufacturers fault.

Not so, with rear end separation. I have yet to see the separation, on "ANY" Airstream, when the owner always kept the running gear in proper balance. It's much much easier to blame Airstream.

But then many say that the rear end separation wouldn't happen, "IF" Airstream had a tougher frame to shell design.

Really????

I take that as meaning, the owner could be more neglectful and abusive to the trailer, by ignoring the running gear balancing, and mounting things on the rear end, if the frame to shell design was tougher.

Again, it's "NEVER" the owners fault. Hmmmmm.

Andy
Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you are interested in how to attach a bike rack to the rear of an nerwer Airstream with a frame, not the older 3 in frames look at this tread, post #36 and 38

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...s-30184-3.html

Not sure what caused the appearance of a separation of the body to the frame on the above pictured Airstream but I am sure it had nothing to do with the bike.

I have carried 2 adult bikes as shown for the last 8 years and often have 2 additional kids bikes back there.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Not sure what caused the appearance of a separation of the body to the frame on the above pictured Airstream but I am sure it had nothing to do with the bike.

I have carried 2 adult bikes as shown for the last 8 years and often have 2 additional kids bikes back there.
I'm sure it wasn't the bike rack too. As I tried to say earlier, for the first few years there were NO FLAT BARS ON THE BUMPER. These were only added later, I believe at the same time the rivets were replaced with bolts/nuts. The owner was actually very kind to answer some questions, and he was not trying to sell his trailer and had no reason to tell me anything other than the truth. He readily admitted the original design was faulty and it had to be modified.

It's very clear to someone who looks at this rack up close and in person that the weight is supported by the brackets above & below the window. I too have no reason to lie either, it really did work well.

Carol
Old 03-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
This would only work with a popup i think, but not a bad idea..
2 Dual Receiver Hitch : Cabela's
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Andy, Only to further my education..... would you claibrate my eye and zero me in on where I should look in his photos for the separation you see ? Thanks

T & K

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote