Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
Yikes!

Any moment arm load on the back an Airstream will result in excessive stress. Put the bikes inside the trailer forward of the wheels, or in the bed of the tow vehicle, or better yet, get a front receiver that will accept a bike rack (which I have).

Airstream frames are not overbuilt... they are usually sufficient for the rated load. Repairs are not cheap.
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I suppose I just don't get it. Why engineer all this when off the shelf items are available? For example, Yakama makes a roof top mount for the Infiniti you have as your tow vehicle, based on your public profile. Additionally, Yakima has roof top carriers for many cars and truck models that can carry many various items, including bikes. I have the King Cobra and find them very useful and priced within reason.

One additional bit of concern I have though (which I know is unsolicited), is why are you towing a 30'+ Airstream with that vehicle. Say it ain't so. Putting bikes on your Airstream's bumper are the least of your worries IMHO.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Over the tanks...

Check ths bike rack solution by a SOB.
http://www.airforums.com/reviews/sho...uct=201&cat=20

Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I suppose I just don't get it. Why engineer all this when off the shelf items are available?
It's just another option, and in our case it was the best one. My canoe goes on top of the Yukon, so roof-top carriers are out. The two kids bikes go inside the trailer, and there's no more room for our bikes. Airstreams have a very short A-Frame which is already crowded (in our case, by the propane tanks, battery, Hensley and spare tire carrier). Besides, lifting bikes on/off A-frame bike mounts can be a PITA and they detract from the looks of the trailer. I looked into a front mounted truck receiver but had it's drawbacks as well (poor aerodynamics and visiblity problems). So for us, the ability to mount two bikes on the rear of the trailer was the best option.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Judie/Bob: There are some close-up shots of our Can-Am installed custom bike rack in the Members Photo's -- look under "Garfield". The rack is based on a two bike folding TopPop bike rack that is custom fitted using Zip-Dee hardware. You might want to give Can-Am a call to see of they'd be able to ship you a kit. Any A/S dealer should be able to install it.

Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Front Hitch

I just installed a Curtis front hitch and used a typical bike rack on our first trip with it to the Sarasota rally. After five minutes of getting used to its position it was a piece of cake. Easier to remove once you arrive and easier to load on your way out. The bike rack folds up on itself so driving around with it is fine looks like one of those off-road guards. I am thinking of using the hitch for using a steel mesh tray for hauling a couple of honda small 2000i gens with the bikes on our trip to Nova Scotia this summer. The TV is a GMC 2007.5 Sierra crew outfitted with a Leer cap.
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:30 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
It's just another option, and in our case it was the best one. My canoe goes on top of the Yukon, so roof-top carriers are out.
I can see your point....even with the multi diverse ability of the Yakima, it would be difficult to haul a canoe, and 4 bikes. It is possible though to carry a canoe and 1-2 bikes depending on canoe size and place the other two bikes in the trailer, though I will fully admit, I'm also not a huge fan of using the interior of the AS as a transport, I think, as I am pretty sure the factory would agree, is the lesser of two evils compared to mounting stuff on the rear.

Bottom line, you're right, just all opinions. In the end, we'll see what happens with rear mounted racks. I'm still curious what the factory suggests.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I believe Wally's trailers were always highly customized & beefed up as well.

Shari
Wally didn't tow a trailer at 75mph with a bike hanging off the back, either, probably more like 40-45. It's not so much the bumps, as the speed that amplifies the effect of the bumps.
I seem to remember his excursions also resulted in the International series trailer, which usually had, among other things, a heavier-duty frame.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Grand Junction , Colorado
One additional bit of concern I have though (which I know is unsolicited), is why are you towing a 30'+ Airstream with that vehicle. Say it ain't so. Putting bikes on your Airstream's bumper are the least of your worries IMHO.

Well I am saying it is so. What is you're problem with my tow vehicle? Our Q is very well able to handle the Excella as we have towed it over the Vail Pass (11,663' elevation) a few times and been up and down the coast of California with no problems. I might also add we did it in extreme comfort.

Joe
GJ Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #30

75 sovereign tail seperation

I just read all the articles on why not to place a bike rack on the rear of camper (Tail seperation could happen).Is anyone out there that has actually done a repair on tail seperation??? Looking for repair ideas. Thanks Sincerely, Mark
Kingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down

JC gang.... get real will 'ya.

Just 'cuz 'ya think YOUR right, doesn't necessarly mean everyone else is rong.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
They make expensive lightweight bikes that you can lift with 1 finger, they should not hurt anything.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingme View Post
I just read all the articles on why not to place a bike rack on the rear of camper (Tail seperation could happen).Is anyone out there that has actually done a repair on tail seperation??? Looking for repair ideas. Thanks Sincerely, Mark
We have done hundreds of them over time.

What would you like to know?

Is it expensive to fix??? Very.

Can you fix it yourself?? Yes, if you know how.

It's the moment arm, that's the killer.

Light weight bikes?? Sure.

Light weight, say 50 pounds???

Not so. With the moment arm on your 31 foot Airstream, that 50 pounds, now becomes close to 600 pounds, sitting still. Hit a bump, and it multiplies, several times over.

Now your up to a ton or better.

Light weight bikes?? Not so.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
San Clemente , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ Excella View Post
I am looking for a 2 bike rack that will mount to the rear storage bumper of my 1989 32' Excella. Can anyone recomend one and how to mount? Has anyone had any problems with mounting/trailering this way?
I have installed a Reese tow hitch receiver to the rear of my coach under the bumper. I had to purchase 2 extension mid section pieces to span the gap between the mounting brackets due to the wide space between the attachment points. I drilled into the steel frame not the bumper. I have had no real problems with exceptions of the low clearance. I have to be very careful going up and down curb aprons by cutting diagonal across them but sometimes still scrape the hitch assembly. If I had to do it again I would not. I have slightly buckled the bottoms of both aluminum curved sections just above the gray frame section. The buckled sections bugged me so bad I fabricated curved appliques out of aluminum diamond plate to cover them. Funny thing is everyone comments on how good the diamond plates look and want to know where they can buy them. When I carry the bikes I make sure and use as many tie downs as possible to minimize bouncing. So far I see no sagging or any other structural effect as a result but that may mean nothing. I only carry 2 bikes since it just my wife and I

I bought my coach to fulfill my camping requirements and carrying bikes is one of them. I see bike racks mounted to much flimsier rigs in much the same way. Now if the frame of an Airstream can't hold up 50lbs of bikes then there is something wrong.
BigPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlay View Post
I bought my coach to fulfill my camping requirements and carrying bikes is one of them. I see bike racks mounted to much flimsier rigs in much the same way. Now if the frame of an Airstream can't hold up 50lbs of bikes then there is something wrong.
Your right, about the something wrong.

Airstream frames are weak compared to SOB's.

The Airstream frame, "DOES NOT" hold anything up.

The shell does the work.

Therefore the frame wants to pull away from the shell, and eventually will, when you place an additional load on the bumper.

Remember, the moment arm, is in effect when you place weight on the bumper, or at the rear of the frame. See post # 33 above.

The fix, is not what you did, but adding additonal holding strength between the shell and frame.

Andy
Old 01-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Airstream Service Bulletin #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingme View Post

Hi Mark,

If you were looking for information on how to repair "rear end frame separation" I would refer you to Tom Patterson's web site. He has various Airstream documents online, including the info from the factory on this matter.

Carol

Home Page
Toms' Web Page

Airstream Service Bulletins
Airstream Service Bulletins
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Question??? Sounds like the rear seperation tends to happen to older longer models, can we with a 2005 - 22' Safari haul bike on the back???
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Question??? Sounds like the rear seperation tends to happen to older longer models, can we with a 2005 - 22' Safari haul bike on the back???
Same problem, different year.

I would say no, but it's your choice and money, if your wrong.

Airstream say no.

What is the moment arm you would have?

Andy
Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
San Clemente , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Your right, about the something wrong.

Airstream frames are weak compared to SOB's.

The Airstream frame, "DOES NOT" hold anything up.

The shell does the work.

Therefore the frame wants to pull away from the shell, and eventually will, when you place an additional load on the bumper.

Remember, the moment arm, is in effect when you place weight on the bumper, or at the rear of the frame. See post # 33 above.

The fix, is not what you did, but adding additonal holding strength between the shell and frame.

Andy

Thanks Andy. Maybe I should have bought the Big Foot I liiked at instead of the AS. It seems the more I read about AS the more disapointed I become.
BigPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlay View Post
Thanks Andy. Maybe I should have bought the Big Foot I liiked at instead of the AS. It seems the more I read about AS the more disapointed I become.
Please don't be disappointed.

In some respects, an Airstream is like an aircraft.

Many things you can do, with them, and some things, well, don't even go there.

An Airstream is like many other things in life, as it has it's learning curve, too.

Andy