Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1987 - 1989 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
White Pigeon , Michigan
34' Excella 1989

Hi everyone! i'm new to these forums and airstreams in general. I am looking to buy one to renovate and I found an excella that I'm very interested in. its the 34' model. The only thing I'm struggling with is whether or not i'll be able to resell one that large. Do most people prefer to have larger or will the triple axle scare people off? I want to live in it for a while but I would like to have the option to sell it when I'm done and get back most or all of the money I put into it. Any information is super helpful! Thank you!
emilyweav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There are less 34s out there, so there is a market for them and they tend to fetch a higher price. Those who have them love them. But the market is selective. Most buyers are looking for shorter units. No guarantee you will get your money back out of it on a sale.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
Get the 34 ft.

Especially if you are going to live in it for awhile. We love ours and full timed for ten years in it.
Storage is great and the space is much appreciated on those rainy closed in days.
I hear they are getting hard to find so if it is in good shape you have little to lose.
forfulltimin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
5 years.. love ours... not for sale.

There are folks who like the smaller trailers for ease of tow, parking, etc. Many folks like the setup of the smaller trailers.. that's great!

We can't find anything smaller which could fit our needs and comfort level.

I don't know exactly why AS stopped making the 34, but I think it was because they were seeing the downsizing of cars and smaller families.. and slower sales. They tried making 'slide outs'... which are really nice... but much heavier and some issues which any 'slide out' can have..

The 34 can be intimidating... but, any trailer can become unmanageable... you just need to have your head in the game. At 9500# fully rigged and max loaded, it is a serious adventure.

We did some full-time in ours while renovating our new place... and it was good. We have had long trips.. 3 granddaughters for a month on a trip from Central Texas to Big Bend and back to the Texas Gulf Coast... and my wife was still relatively sane upon our return!!! The dog, Boo may never be the same...

We tow with a 3/4 ton diesel pickup... 4x4 has been useful helping park and move the 34 in some 'sticky' situations...

Yes, there are some places it gets really tight moving a big rig like the 34 around. Refueling the TV... entering/exiting regular stations when hooked up is usually impossible due to the way the road entrances are now being built... the big 'dip' getting from the road to the driveway is difficult.. so, we usually just go to the Big Rig pumps... which is ok because we need diesel.

The 34's out here are getting where they are needing some work. We have replaced our axles, wheels, added a second AC and upgraded to 50 AMP power... I have replaced valves and other fresh water components... repaired squirrel damage to AC wiring... replaced converter... tongue jack, LP hoses, regulator, etc.. repaired some floor wood rot, removed carpeting, installed laminated flooring...etc...

I have replaced the 'key' on all of the awnings.. coated the roof ... replaced rivets... repaired the steps... and most recently, had to have the Fresh Water Tank fill hose professionally repaired.. (I don't have the place to do that anymore)..

So, if you are wanting a 34 and are willing to do or get the work done to keep it going, you will find traveling to be very luxurious... and when you are stuck inside due to rain, it is nice to have the space...

A word of advice... RV's are not rational purchases. Your cost for a decent 34??? hard to determine when there are so many variables... you may have a hard time getting insurance for a 'declared value'... can't tell you where to get coverage, or if you would want it... Don't expect to make any $$.. but you won't lose as much as purchasing any new RV... AS or SOB...

Good luck on the search!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote