Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1987 - 1989 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
cave city , Kentucky
25' vs 29'

I've been looking off and on for an Airstream for a couple of years; my wife and I lean, for various reasons, toward Late 80's and early 90's twenty-five footers. We like the lay-outs and prices. Also we have a '09 Ford F150 with a 5.4 engine and a 3.55 rear-end and I feel, because of the trailer's weights and my truck's over 9000lb rated towing capacity, we could handle this size trailer. The thing is, a 29ft '89 Excella has become available and I like it. My research tells me there's 500lb difference in the weight of a 25' and a 29' Airstream of that year. Also a 29' Airstream is just 38 inches longer then a 25' one. The lay-outs seem similar. Should I stick to a 25' trailer or smaller or what? I really want to keep my truck. Thanks
unit13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Greetings, Adrian, and welcome to the Airforums! I'm sure you'll find lots of info here on which rig to consider.

I don't know for sure that it'll help, but I'll attach a copy of the Airstream weights document. It covers the period you're thinking about.

Lynn
Old 06-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
I don't think the weight difference should bother you as it appears it is well within the GCWR for the truck. A 5.4l with a 3.55 rear does sound a bit weak but that only means you might need to gear down on occasion and pay attention to maintenance.

The extra "38 inches" can do quite a bit for livability. It shouldn't make much of an impact on where you could take the trailer and it might be a bit easier when it comes to handling.

For me, the key issue is how much traveling you intend to do. If you are going to spend a lot of time on the roads, then a beefier tow vehicle might be a bit more convenient. If your tow time is only a few thousand miles a year, then the needed behavior adjustments shouldn't be a problem. The only way to really tell is via experience as it is a very personal thing. How does it feel to you the way you like to travel?

Keep your tires inflated and use a good hitch!
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
cave city , Kentucky
Thanks so much for your input. My wife and I have a tough decision to make (which Airstream). We will retire in a few years and look forward to enjoying some of our life with an Airstream and with the people who live in them.
unit13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Hi there,
This is just my opinion and personal experience
We bought a 93 29 foot Excella and towed it 300 miles home with a 2007 5.4L 4x4 Ford F-150. It did pull the trailer 65-70 going home but I was not comfortable with the experience. When crossing the dam going over the lake the side winds really affected the trailers movement. Going up hills really knocked the truck down in gears. After that tow home Mrs S. and myself decided we would need a larger tow vehicle due to our plans of traveling long distance and exploring mountainous areas.
I'm not trying to discourage you, like posted above if your planning small trips you should be fine given you hitch up correctly. If you plan long distance or mountain trips I'd consider upgrading to a 3/4 ton or better.
Just experiment and find your own comfort level.
Good luck on your purchase. Best wishes! Airstreams are great!
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Just make sure you buy a good 4 point equalizer hitch(Reeese ,Equilizer etc) and you will be fine.My 2010 F150 4x4 supercrew 5.4 with 355 gears does fine pulling my 28ft International CCD.The hitch is the key though.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote