Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1987 - 1989 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2006, 09:07 AM   #21
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
BillTex
Congrats~
For serial numbers...this is one of many links:http://vintageairstream.com/rr_topic...condition.html
It would seem that you have all the info..lol
Being that it's current..I'd be welling to say that the title should be there as well..???right~?
You held a "gun" to them right?????? (that's a fantastic price..)
I have a 84 29' and,
you couldn't get anywhere near it for that kind of money..
btw, tow it home fast...deposit can be returned...lmao
good luck..
53FC
ps...original sales brochures show up on ebay from time to time..
like anything with A/S, if you see it..buy it~!! because it'll be gone when you go back later..
pre mid 90's were 8' wide, then later models have all been 8'6"...Your's should be an 8' fter..
capacities, by that I take it that you mean what can I carry??
generally, just a little over a 1400 pound of "stuff"..some models may go a little higher but nothing..anywhere near 2000 lbs~!
Flyingcloud, the numbers I am trying to research are the club numbers on the top of the AS.
Yes, title is available.
You are close by-NH-maybe I will run into you this summer as we frequently camp up North!
Bill
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:11 AM   #22
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Another ?, how concerned should I be about the rust on the frame? I did jump up/down on the back frame rails, peeked inside the two holes in the back...the entire rails that are visible are covered in rust. The sheet metal underneath is not corroded. I banged on it and did not hear any loose metal. But I looked at my current 1999 trailer and the frame is painted, unlike the AS, and it has no vivible sign of rust. Is what I am seeing on the AS typical? Maybe my current trailer will look like that at 17 yrs old?

Thanx, Bill
Old 05-02-2006, 12:19 PM   #23
raybell23

2017 23' Flying Cloud
florence , South Carolina
1989 Excella 25

Bill- congradulations
I had a 1985 25 Excella from june 1984 to 2003 and loved it. I replaced the hot water heater, the cammode, and the A/C shroud during this period. I also had the clear coat stripped and recoated after 10 years. The airstream factory did it for 1500.00. I am not sure they still do this kind of work. I have since found a used 27 ft. Safari and i love it.
I pulled the 85 with a Dodge van with a 318 ci engine all over the US with several trips to Calif/ with no problem. It did not pull the Mts out west like a deisel but it was not a problem. The van was a very stable towing vehicle. I presently pull with a 1/2 ton chevy truck with a 5.3 liter engine and 3.73 rear axle. I find it a very good tow vehicle. I drive around 60 to 65 mph and get 12.5 to 14 mpg. Good luck with your new Airstream. Ray
raybell27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Bill, the only true way to check corrosion is either to remove the belly pan (impractical), or to do what I have done, and buy a fibre-optic inspection device and examine the frame through a series of 1/2 inch holes. In your situation, as there is no sign of water leaks, the corrosion is probably surface corrosion from the atmosphere. If the part you can see is structurally sound, I would go for it. This link will describe what I am doing to prevent further corrosion on my trailer frame:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ot-2607-2.html
Bear in mind that you may need a differently rated set of bars for the WD hitch with this heavier trailer. I'll give you a link for this in another post, as I don't want to lose my saved copy of this post.
The capacities of my tanks are listed as 30, 30 and 50 gallons.
I suggest you go and pay the whole amount tonight. If not, you could try offering the owner $14,000!
Nick.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Link for load distribution hitch analysis:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...sis-19236.html?
If that doesn't float your boat, I can just tell you I use 1000 pound bars on an Eaz-lift WD hitch. Tows beautifully.
Nick
Old 05-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #26
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
I have the 1000# bars for my Equalizer...this should be sufficient.

Yeah, I think I will pay the balance tonight!

Bill
Old 05-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Red numbers are WBCCI

If you post your red numbers here, one of us can check WBCCI directory and see who they are assigned to...

Generally club won't reassign for several years of inaction, so you may be able to keep them and re-activate in your name.

Nick right about weights and widths.. Only a few older trailers from 70's and small Argosy's were in range of 7 1/2' wide.. Narrow-body from the 1980's through 1995 means 8' wide, plus or minus an inch...

If you're missing sections of owner manual or things like stove and water heater supplements, let su know, as it is possible to copy and send sections...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Looking at my 1989 owner's manual, capacities for fresh/black/grey 50/50/35. Hope yours come with a manual, they're pretty comprehensive but not as helpful as the forum.
As far as the WBCCI club numbers, call them and they will let you know if those numbers are being used or not. If they don't presently "belong" to anyone, you can specify those numbers with your membership. I belong to the New England unit - quite a few acive members from RI. Congrats on a great purchase - hope to see you down the road.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:57 PM   #29
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Done deal!

Paid for and title in hand!
Can't believe I own an AS!

Owners manual says 50 fresh-50 blk-35 gray
Someone crossed out and hand wrote; 50 fresh-30 blk-35 gray.
Not a big deal, just curious.

The numbers on the camper are 8678. Any history you could provide would be great.
I will ask for the same numbers when we join...

Thanks everyone for all the help,
Sincerely, Bill
Old 05-03-2006, 01:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Numbers..

According to older WBCCI directory, that number assigned to Farrelly's of Somerset, Mass... You can talk to WBCCI in Ohio at (937) 596-5211 to see about keeping or whether they have asked to reassign their numbers to new trailer...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 05-03-2006, 01:32 PM   #31
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Yep, that is who I purchased it from.

Can you tell how long they have had that number?

Also what is a good source to learn about some basic AS history, terms, lore, etiquette, etc...

Oh yeah, is 30 amp hookup sufficient? The book doesn't really say?

Thanx, Bill
Old 05-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
"Airstream - The History of the Land Yacht"

The definitive history pretty much is the book above, by Bryan Burkhart and David Hunt. It is available from Amazon and others, published by Chronicle Books in San Francisco, ISBN Number 0-8118-2471-3 (pb,)

There are others, and history segments on VAC Website and Airstream and WBCCI Websites..

WBCCI Directory does not contain length of membership data, though 4 digit numbers were used up and WBCCI went to 5 digit numbers somewhere in the 1990's, so numbers probably date to at least purchase of that trailer, if not earlier.

Finally, 30 Amp power is plenty, and plug is defined for 30A service, rather than 50A.. Among the many "Watch Out's" you'll be getting, the Air Conditioner likes lots of Amps to kick on and start compressor. Plugging into household 15 or 20A crcuit and starting the A/C will either blow a circuit breaker or worse, damage the compressor motor, and is frowned on. That also explains the mystery switch over stove inside cabinet to switch 110V circuit from A/C power to Microwave Oven power. Airstream decreed you can't run both together, so outlet behind Microwave is off when A/C is on... (there is easy way to learn this and hard way... You just got easy way ) . If you decide you need generator to run Air Conditioner, there are many threads on how to accomplish that task, but it takes more than a 2000 Watt Generator...

You are in place where local New England WBCCI Unit is a good one (I seem to be recruiting a lot from 3000 miles away ...) so I'd connect with them for history and etiquette, though many take etiquette rules with grain of salt and smilingly put pink flamingoes around their trailers anyway... We used to have summer beach house up the Post Road from Westerly, RI and still get back there every other year or so to freeze toes in Atlantic and visit Block Island..

John McG

Old 05-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #33
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
John, thank you so much for all the good info. Being an Engineer I would be interested in the technical and design history of AS. Does this book get into technical details?

About the micro/ac circuit...can't you just plug the micro into another circuit? I am assuming the stock config has both running on 1 circuit...

Then again, I can count on 1 hand the number of times we have used ac in while camping here in New England.

Block Island is one of our favorite places, we used to boat/big game fish for many years and my Wife and I spent had many fun times on the Block! Still like to get out there once/twice year.

Bill
Old 05-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #34
Mad1

1989 29' Excella
Dallas , Texas
Excella

A lot of good advice on this thread.
I bought an '89 Excella 29ft last year from
a retiring WBCCI couple who had bought the trailer
new (their third one). I paid the asking price (9k)
because the trailer had been used and maintained regularly but had never been lived in. Inside like new
nearly though I replaced the curtains. Outside was
near perfect and solid because it spent it's life in El Paso
a very dry climate. But it had always been parked in the same spot exposing one side to the southwest sun. The
clearcoat is destroyed on one side and almost perfect on the other.
I have no problem towing with a Nissan Titan 1/2 ton pickup, 5.6 liter gas. It does struggle in the high mountain passes.
If you join WBCCI you will get a new set of numbers, I was amazed when I drew #1989 for my '89 Excella.
I think the '80's trailer represent real bargains these days, good ones can be found and if properly maintained
still have a lot of life left in them.
Here is a link to photos of me picking it up and remodeling efforts the last few months.

http://tinyurl.com/gzq2c

Good luck I think you will be pleased

Steve
madrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:05 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Single Breaker - Switched circuit

Bill-

You could just relocate microwave and plug into a different outlet. That was our solution after chewing out service shop for killing outlet before we discovered mystery switch.. ( I told you there was a hard way to learn that..) The second breaker of two runs the power converter and all other 110V outlets, so a large Microwave might overload circuit if you were running other big loads on that circuit..

Happy ending for us was to buy very small portable microwave which heats stuff and rides on floor when moving or credenza by table when parked. We added oak cabinet door and hinges/handle from Home Depot selection for $24 and gained extra storage in space over Fridge where microwave was installed.

The book does cover technical design history, though historians are still a little vague about a key transition.. By 1935, Wally was about done making his trailers of wood, and was selling for Bowlus their aluminum monocoque designs. Bowlus went bankrupt in 1935, and Wally ended up somehow owning tooling and designs. The first aluminum Airstream, the 1936 Clipper, was likely a Bowlus design repackaged. William Hawley Bowlus was a fascinating character and airdraft/glider designer. Two Bowlus gliders hang in the new Air and Space Museum above the Airstream used for returning Apollo Astronauts. There is also credit for Glenn Curtiss (Aircraft designer) who was also beginning to build Aluminum trailers.

My dad worked for Alcoa (THE Aluminum Company then..) in LA with aircaft designers from 1939 through 1954, and was familiar with Wally. Designs were based on aircraft alloys and fabrication techniques (Wally spent war as riveter and assembler for Curtiss Wright in San Fernando). By early 50's, much of Wally's design work was "try it, break it, fix it" school of design. He did have higher quality standards for aircraft aluminum sheet than Douglas did, allegedly...

Enjoy your new trailer, and don't get discouraged when something breaks...

John McG

Old 05-03-2006, 08:26 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Bill,
About the red numbers, the lady at WBCCI to whom you need to speak is Cindy Reed. She will tell you that if the couple you bought the trailer from will send her a letter stating it is OK for you to have their number, then she will assign it to you.

Congrats on your new unit. you have made a good deal. Enjoy it, use it and wear it out so you can refurbish her.
By the way, that unit could be pulled with a riding mower, maybe a bicycle, so use you surby and enjoy!
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
The definitive history pretty much is the book above, by Bryan Burkhart and David Hunt. It is available from Amazon and others, published by Chronicle Books in San Francisco, ISBN Number 0-8118-2471-3 (pb,)

There are others, and history segments on VAC Website and Airstream and WBCCI Websites..

WBCCI Directory does not contain length of membership data, though 4 digit numbers were used up and WBCCI went to 5 digit numbers somewhere in the 1990's, so numbers probably date to at least purchase of that trailer, if not earlier.

Finally, 30 Amp power is plenty, and plug is defined for 30A service, rather than 50A.. Among the many "Watch Out's" you'll be getting, the Air Conditioner likes lots of Amps to kick on and start compressor. Plugging into household 15 or 20A crcuit and starting the A/C will either blow a circuit breaker or worse, damage the compressor motor, and is frowned on. That also explains the mystery switch over stove inside cabinet to switch 110V circuit from A/C power to Microwave Oven power. Airstream decreed you can't run both together, so outlet behind Microwave is off when A/C is on... (there is easy way to learn this and hard way... You just got easy way ) . If you decide you need generator to run Air Conditioner, there are many threads on how to accomplish that task, but it takes more than a 2000 Watt Generator...

You are in place where local New England WBCCI Unit is a good one (I seem to be recruiting a lot from 3000 miles away ...) so I'd connect with them for history and etiquette, though many take etiquette rules with grain of salt and smilingly put pink flamingoes around their trailers anyway... We used to have summer beach house up the Post Road from Westerly, RI and still get back there every other year or so to freeze toes in Atlantic and visit Block Island..

John McG
My parents joined WBCCI (as it is still named for the moment) in 1971 and were given a 5 digit number as this was the next successive number since #1 was given to Wally?; they did not retire or reuse numbers. Sometime in the '80's they started to recycle numbers and you could actually request a number as long as it was not in use. Most new members just ask for the lowest number available, as long as it's no less than 4 digits. Two and three digit numbers are reserved for club officers above the unit level. Probably won't see any flamingos outside their trailers, at least the light up ones with the head that moves. I desired to retain their membership number in recognition of their 35 years of service to the club and it was easier than trying to peel them off. It was a seemless transition, I think my Dad just sent a quick note or email saying it was OK to give me the number. Check out the Region 1 rally in Rochester, NH in August. You don't need to be a member to attend, just an Airstream.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:30 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Cincinnati , Ohio
1989 25 excella

I have the same trailer, you will love it. I tow with a 2001 Suburban 1500 with the 5.3 gas engine and a 4.10 rear axle ratio. I get 12MPG fully loaded with 6 adults and gear at 70MPH. The only problem is trying to stay at a safe speed, the Suburban will go 80MPH before you know it. I want to stay around 65MPH. As far as the 2500 series with the Duramax diesel is concerned, the pay back won't happen in your life time. The mileage differenence between the gas vs the diesel isn't big enough to off set the higher diesel option costs and fuel cost. It will probably take over 8 years to pay you back in better MPG, based on 25,000 miles per year. Do the math!
1989excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:30 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I've also put a deposit down on a 1989 29-ft Excella, closing after I sell my LY motorhome. The clearcoat is also a bit rough on the roof. The interior is pristine (the unit was thoroughly gone over in 2000 when the present owners purchased it from Can-Am, and the fridge & furnace were changed then).

There is an outfit in Helena OH called P & S Traler Service (they advertise in the Blue Berret) who specialize in refinishing aluminum trailers. two weeks ago I visited them to find out about redoing the plasticoat on the Excella. They're on the web at http://www.pandstrailerservice.com/ - I met briefly with Steve Ruth and he told me that the wait time is between 4-6 weeks and that it takes a week in the shop. As soon as I get my Excella, I intend on bringing to him (he said he'll provide a written estimate - no surprises - and he'd call when the job was done).

For towing, I currently have a 3/4ton G-van 5.7 litre engine and a custom 4:10 diff. It tows fine, but gas consumption is high, much higher than my 34-ft LY with a car in tow (the LY has a 5.9-l Cummins and averages 11.5 mpg with a car in tow - however, I've determined that I much prefer a trailer to a motorhome, so it's up for sale). I intend to look for a 3/4 ton Dodge with the Cummins engine, and either a 5-speed automatic tranny or the 6-speed manual.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
BillTex,

Congrats on your 1986 25' Excella purchase!!! My wife and I bought a 1989 32' Excella last week for $15.5k and it is in much the same shape as yours. Some may say we paid a bit much but this rig had spent its life in PA, owned by 2 previous owners (little old ladies, and I saw the paperwork on that, LOL), the AC and fridge had been replaced in 2007, brakes, shocks and tires in 2012, all paperwork/receipts/manuals in a nice binder and it even had the original Zip-Dee folding chairs in the storage compartment behind the stove. I feel in love with it as soon as we looked at it and offered $13.5k. The seller was asking $17k so we met in the middle and he threw in the hitch. Not our first RV but our first AS but we have a bit of "fix-in it" experience from our other rigs. The clear-coat is weathered on top so I might task that out to professionals when we get there (anyone know a shop in upstate NY???). Also, the plastic inner end caps have age-cracks but not critical and will cruise the forums to get repair ideas. However, the rig is missing a drivers side rear-bumper storage door metal end cap, so if anyone knows of one for sale please LMK. Our tow rig is a 2013 F-250 6.2L and it seems to work well with this unit, but you do know your towing a good sized trailer. Good luck with your rig, We're learning just like you...
Regards,
James and Rebecca
Easyrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote