Old 05-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Not to worry...

Duramax is just a futire concept.. You should be fine in your Suburban with just a little patience...

Length of 25' is actually a little over 25' from bumper to hitch ball, and ours had new front end added that pushed it from 25'8" to 26'1"..

Because they were narrower (8' v. 8 1/2' wide now) they are a little lighter than current classics, though floor plan essentially unchanged. I'd move fast before some interloper grabs it, because that trailer appears to be a very good deal at $7K, and 25's are very popular units, and there are a bunch of folks looking for good ones. Have to assume seller hasn't done great job of advertising it nationally, which works for you...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Non AS buy from an AS owner??

BillTex -

Congrats on the new 25! Great size and sounds like a great unit.

Be sure to let all of us ASF readers know if an AS owner 'stoops' to buy a non-AS trailer!!!! We need to keep tabs on these types....

Kidding!

Enjoy that AS and be sure to get rid of that SOB trailer post-haste... Your in the clover now!

See ya out there!

Axel

Old 05-02-2006, 06:50 AM   #17
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Bringin' it home

Left a deposit and will tow it home this weekend!

I thought I read some where that these were 7' 6" or 7' 3" wide, something like that...am I dreaming?
AS are either 8' or 8' 6" wide?

Also is there a good source for some basic info such as; where can I look up the number that is on the camper?
Dimension/capacities of different models/years.
Basic differences between models Excella vs. others...
Options that were available for certain years.
Original sales brochures?

Sorry for the above ? on the width but the camper is an hour away so I can't just run out and measure it, but I thought I read that somewhere about the width...

This forum is much more active than the one on the AS site?!

Thanx, Bill
Old 05-02-2006, 07:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up great deal

BillTex
Congrats~
For serial numbers...this is one of many links:http://vintageairstream.com/rr_topic...condition.html
It would seem that you have all the info..lol
Being that it's current..I'd be welling to say that the title should be there as well..???right~?
You held a "gun" to them right?????? (that's a fantastic price..)
I have a 84 29' and,
you couldn't get anywhere near it for that kind of money..
btw, tow it home fast...deposit can be returned...lmao
good luck..
53FC
ps...original sales brochures show up on ebay from time to time..
like anything with A/S, if you see it..buy it~!! because it'll be gone when you go back later..
pre mid 90's were 8' wide, then later models have all been 8'6"...Your's should be an 8' fter..
capacities, by that I take it that you mean what can I carry??
generally, just a little over a 1400 pound of "stuff"..some models may go a little higher but nothing..anywhere near 2000 lbs~!
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
generally, just a little over a 1400 pound of "stuff"..some models may go a little higher but nothing..anywhere near 2000 lbs~!
Spot on! Empty, 5100 pounds, max weight permitted 6500 pounds for mine, so 1400 pounds to include water and other tank fluids. It's easy to exceed that, so a weigh station is your friend. Read up on weight distribution hitches (use the search facility) so that you can make maximum use of the trip to the weighbridge.
Nick
Old 05-02-2006, 09:23 AM   #20
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Nick, thanks for the concern. I have been towing for quite some time and are set up already with WD hitch. But thank you for the caution. Will check all other safety system before hitting the road.

By capacities, I meant tanks, dimensions, etc. The manual is included but has some notes written by the original owner and I am not sure which is correct. For instance the book says 50 gal fresh, 35 gray, 30 black...are these numbers correct?

Maybe I should give him the balance and tow it home tonight!

Thanx, Bill
Old 05-02-2006, 10:07 AM   #21
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
BillTex
Congrats~
For serial numbers...this is one of many links:http://vintageairstream.com/rr_topic...condition.html
It would seem that you have all the info..lol
Being that it's current..I'd be welling to say that the title should be there as well..???right~?
You held a "gun" to them right?????? (that's a fantastic price..)
I have a 84 29' and,
you couldn't get anywhere near it for that kind of money..
btw, tow it home fast...deposit can be returned...lmao
good luck..
53FC
ps...original sales brochures show up on ebay from time to time..
like anything with A/S, if you see it..buy it~!! because it'll be gone when you go back later..
pre mid 90's were 8' wide, then later models have all been 8'6"...Your's should be an 8' fter..
Flyingcloud, the numbers I am trying to research are the club numbers on the top of the AS.
Yes, title is available.
You are close by-NH-maybe I will run into you this summer as we frequently camp up North!
Bill
Old 05-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #22
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Another ?, how concerned should I be about the rust on the frame? I did jump up/down on the back frame rails, peeked inside the two holes in the back...the entire rails that are visible are covered in rust. The sheet metal underneath is not corroded. I banged on it and did not hear any loose metal. But I looked at my current 1999 trailer and the frame is painted, unlike the AS, and it has no vivible sign of rust. Is what I am seeing on the AS typical? Maybe my current trailer will look like that at 17 yrs old?

Thanx, Bill
Old 05-02-2006, 01:19 PM   #23
raybell23

2017 23' Flying Cloud
florence , South Carolina
1989 Excella 25

Bill- congradulations
I had a 1985 25 Excella from june 1984 to 2003 and loved it. I replaced the hot water heater, the cammode, and the A/C shroud during this period. I also had the clear coat stripped and recoated after 10 years. The airstream factory did it for 1500.00. I am not sure they still do this kind of work. I have since found a used 27 ft. Safari and i love it.
I pulled the 85 with a Dodge van with a 318 ci engine all over the US with several trips to Calif/ with no problem. It did not pull the Mts out west like a deisel but it was not a problem. The van was a very stable towing vehicle. I presently pull with a 1/2 ton chevy truck with a 5.3 liter engine and 3.73 rear axle. I find it a very good tow vehicle. I drive around 60 to 65 mph and get 12.5 to 14 mpg. Good luck with your new Airstream. Ray
Old 05-02-2006, 01:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Bill, the only true way to check corrosion is either to remove the belly pan (impractical), or to do what I have done, and buy a fibre-optic inspection device and examine the frame through a series of 1/2 inch holes. In your situation, as there is no sign of water leaks, the corrosion is probably surface corrosion from the atmosphere. If the part you can see is structurally sound, I would go for it. This link will describe what I am doing to prevent further corrosion on my trailer frame:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ot-2607-2.html
Bear in mind that you may need a differently rated set of bars for the WD hitch with this heavier trailer. I'll give you a link for this in another post, as I don't want to lose my saved copy of this post.
The capacities of my tanks are listed as 30, 30 and 50 gallons.
I suggest you go and pay the whole amount tonight. If not, you could try offering the owner $14,000!
Nick.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Link for load distribution hitch analysis:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...sis-19236.html?
If that doesn't float your boat, I can just tell you I use 1000 pound bars on an Eaz-lift WD hitch. Tows beautifully.
Nick
Old 05-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #26
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
I have the 1000# bars for my Equalizer...this should be sufficient.

Yeah, I think I will pay the balance tonight!

Bill
Old 05-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Red numbers are WBCCI

If you post your red numbers here, one of us can check WBCCI directory and see who they are assigned to...

Generally club won't reassign for several years of inaction, so you may be able to keep them and re-activate in your name.

Nick right about weights and widths.. Only a few older trailers from 70's and small Argosy's were in range of 7 1/2' wide.. Narrow-body from the 1980's through 1995 means 8' wide, plus or minus an inch...

If you're missing sections of owner manual or things like stove and water heater supplements, let su know, as it is possible to copy and send sections...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Looking at my 1989 owner's manual, capacities for fresh/black/grey 50/50/35. Hope yours come with a manual, they're pretty comprehensive but not as helpful as the forum.
As far as the WBCCI club numbers, call them and they will let you know if those numbers are being used or not. If they don't presently "belong" to anyone, you can specify those numbers with your membership. I belong to the New England unit - quite a few acive members from RI. Congrats on a great purchase - hope to see you down the road.