Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella 500 > 1978- 1979 Excella 500
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2005, 10:39 PM   #1
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Semantics

Hi, folks,

This is very minor, but I've noticed that we on the site call our Airstreams "coaches," and the Airstream website consistently refers to them as "trailers."

Wild west nonwithstanding, is "coach" better than "trailers?" Who is kidding whom here?

Just curious. (Yes, I have too much idle time on my hands. I don't work ALL of the time.)

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Lamar,
I love this question but it depends on your company. If we are parked next to a snootie couple pulling a high end unit and they are unfriendly, we will ask them if we can see their "camper" no matter the brand. We have no time for unfriendly people but they are in most campgrounds, not all. For the politically correct type, trailer is appropriate because that's what it is, doesn't matter who you are. It's a coach too I guess but there is no definition... I grew up going camping in a "camper". If it hurts the ego, there are "coachgrounds" that will only accommidate late model campers...errr coaches. My coach is a camper and that's what we do in it. Just my thoughts.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:57 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I use the two terms interchangably.
"coach" is a way to differentiate between supposedly well-made, higher end trailers, and the stuff you see falling apart as it is towed down the interstate.
It goes back to the days when a (wagon) coach builder would assemble a body to go on the frame of a car or truck, thus making a complete vehicle. You had chassis builders, and coach builders.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
As my "coach" has never been called a camper...at least not by me I thought I'd chime in.

We refer to the AS as we also refered to the past unit as simply "the bus."

When I roll up to a gated private golf community the rent-a-cops all try to refuse me entry. "We don't allow campers." I direct them to the side door for a look inside. They are used to seeing other sales reps enter in Bornfreee or Mobile Concept conversions but not Airstreams.

I've also now added the new logo "nose art" to further the "commercial identification."

All that said I like the thought and sound of "motor coach" over camper. When I think back to the Champion bookmobile and the difference in ride and appearance there is no comparisson.

What's in a name afterall? "Airstream One" rolls on! Even if I am camping out at Wal-Mart!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:58 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I call them all of the above and really don't care what someone thinks. If they want it called something else, I'd be happy to oblige them. If they were to get snooty about it, I can simply get back to our campsite and laugh.... In the meantime, whichever comes to mind first.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:01 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
A while back, someone from Miami was looking at the house next door which was for sale. I was asked over the fence if that "thing" was always parked there. I replied "yes!". Another no sale.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I take my family "coaching" all the time and I work part time as a little league "camper". The last "trailer" I saw did not improve my opinion of the movie ... it was obscure.

Regards
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Remember the Ted Danzen movie a couple of years ago where his Classic motorhome rolled off the road and he was stranded? I think his wife kept calling it a camper and he kept correcting her saying "It's an Airstream!".

I even think Airstream used that for a few months on the signature lines of their email.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:18 AM   #9
_

. , .
hi all

while it is just terminology, it does come up frequently...everytime we or someone else makes reference to that thing.

of course it's a camper, a trailer, an rv but mostly it's an airstream....which is the clearest term.

i tend to use the term 'coach' for rvs on a motorized frame/chassis, but they are still campers and rvs too.

ya know even among airstreamers we tend to use different terms for the itsy bitsy ones than for the looooooonger ones...so go figure.

my friends who don't do this sort of camping used to try to annoy me by refering to the airstream as a "mobile home", as in "are you going to bring the mobile home camping this week?" or "did you take the mobile home to the beach?"

25 years ago this bothered me but no longer...i found self deprication took the fun out for others, so i know when to throw in a few trailer trash terms to my advantage.

besides mobile has risen in stature as a term...mobile office, mobile phone, mobile conferencing, mobile satellite and so on.

while i still prefer just saying it's an airstream, look at all the other terms we've amassed for humor and affection...like tin hut, twinkie and on and on.

it's time to take the aircraft alloy semi monocoque torsen suspended solar powered self contained habitat for a camping trip!

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:10 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Im not a smart man, but I know this: an airstream by any other name is still a rose

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:55 PM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Scamper the word "camper"

I discourage everyone I know from using "camper" because that is the derisive term that the truckers use to refer to us. Besides, most of my use would not ordinarily be referred to as "camping".

Most of the time, I use "trailer", but very occasionally "coach".
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:20 PM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I discourage everyone I know from using "camper" because that is the derisive term that the truckers use to refer to us.
Thats not nearly as bad as the things I have been known to refer to some of the so called "professional drivers"

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:24 PM   #13
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
My AS

If I'm camping with it, it's a trailer. If I'm selling it, it's a coach.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
to me, a trailer has always been something you haul your boat on, your junk to the dump in, and the myriad SOB's out there. At least to my mind, an Airstream is definitely more than that, so when I refer to it in the general vernacular, I refer to it as a coach.

On the other hand, all the people in "coach" get the skinny seats and food and drink served last on the airplane, so maybe I ought to start referring to it as my "firstclass?"

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:37 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

On my way home from the dealer a couple years back I stopped for gas and to take a deep breath.A guy looked over and said that sure is a nice travel trailer.I felt proud and it stuck,Travel Trailer for me.
cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:59 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

We simply refer to ours as "The Airstream", or "The Beer Can Bungalow" as we named her.
Recently while on an airstreaming trip someone at the trading post heard me telling my brother to meet me back at the AS, after which they muttered something under their breath about "Airsrteam People" thinking they are better than everyone else, why do you have to announce that it's an AS. I then turned to her (to the dismay of the wife) to tell her that I, in no way think I'm a better person because I own an AS, but I am a better person for not stereotyping people the way you just did me. I have found that some people automatically think that AS owners are Snooty, which I cannot understand. Maybe a few of us small town, country folk, beer drinking, football watching, 4 wheel drive pick-up truck driving, hard working, blue collar Americans need to change this perception. I know I try.

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:39 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
A while back, someone from Miami was looking at the house next door which was for sale. I was asked over the fence if that "thing" was always parked there. I replied "yes!". Another no sale.
I have been known to answer those questions with "No, sometimes we have the other one here, too!" You can see that big vein in the middle of their forehead start to bulge, and throb, as they walk away mumbling to themselves...
Old 10-28-2005, 06:08 PM   #18
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile You paid for it call it what you want but don't call it a tent...

Wow we're lucky we all have a sense of humor right? Most folks are so cool and want to see it or say nice things about our vintage baby.
Our latest camping trip we finally met the attitude described where they say "oh they have an airstream" tone of voice implying we're the ones with an attitude and millionaire budget. Btw they had a gorgeous 5th wheeler--go figure. Well it was too cold to fly the pirate flag and the Jimmy Buffett parrots to show our true colorz
I was really surprised being the down to earth hope for the best sister that I am, when they suggested that I probably used a cone filter versus a basket filter for my coffeemaker. Wow maybe I'd better start a poll, am I missing an Airstream secret here?
No baby, we're seventies vintage, we use a percolator...
Old 10-28-2005, 08:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I used to build trailers in a trailer manufacturing plant and would have killed to be building Airstreams. When we saw an Airstream on the highway or camping it was trailer but there was an emphasis on the "I wish I had a real trailer". But they have always been trailers to me. Coaches were the motorhomes built in the other end of the plant. More to the point, they were built in the motorcoach division, we worked in the trailer plant. I don't care what they or anyone calls it, as long as they don't call my trailer theirs. I find the truckers who stop at gas ups to check it and the old car we tow with almost always refer to the two together as a "rig". Quite the rig you got there fella. Yep, quite the rig. Mind you, I also called my Harley a scooter, much to the amusement of my neighbours.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:51 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Coaches/Trailer

My thought is that a "coach" is a motorhome and a trailer is just that.
Janssvt is offline   Reply With Quote