Old 01-21-2003, 11:45 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Cheryl,We are nuclear.So far since joining my hubby on the road in June we have been stationary in Missouri.SO much for doing a bunch of traveling.We bought a small lot in a privately owned RV resort.We write off all our fuel and food costs associated with living away from home.I wont go into everything but we use our Rv as our second home.Last year we went to a RV show and saw what we believed to be our dream RV. A 2001 leftover.The new year for RV begin in June or July.Anyway it was a 31' Excel 5th wheel with a rear bath.Had everything we wanted. Table/chairs,pullouts on the couch side and queen bed.Made an offer and they jumped. Put down deposit and went to look for tow vehicle...which I found.Then we decided due to a possible contract in Canada that keeping the rear bath warm might be a task..and besides that having to get up and go all the way to the other end to pee in the middle of the night might be a drag.You can get a deal sometimes but most of the time NOT.May I recommend you go to rv.org and buy the books by JD Gallant on "How to Outwit any Auto,Truck or RV Dealer Every Time". This guy has it together and when I left the Ford dealer and Rv dealer they were both holding their groins. He also publishes a book on how to inspect and buy a used Rv and a RV Rate book that is fast becoming a standard in the industry. In fact I carried my copy in when I was dealing and the sales guy gave me a dirty look.My hubby lets me go in with out him.Guess maybe he is afraid I might embarasse him???In my travels I happened upon this A/S at a dealer outside of St Louis.Feel in love with it even though it went against all the research on what we needed. It has a booth/bed that works but a table and chairs would be better.Storage is limited in this A/S so we only have what we need.I use a lap top and bought a bench that doubles as a footstool,storage and coffee table.We have two tables that pull open from either side of the sofa but couldnt get our feet up when watching tv.Lots to learn...dont jump till you know all the facts and do the research.Lots of jerks out there that will tell you anything to get a sale.Beware of them.Seen lots of unhappy campers with a "great buy" that they cant pull down the road. Ciao Rubyslipper

Old 01-21-2003, 12:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to cljackson Send a message via Yahoo to cljackson
New vs Used Decision

Rubyslipper, appreciate the advice on the JD Gallant book. I just ordered it online. We already have "The RV Rating Book - 2002 Models", and have used it extensively in our shopping. Some of the RV dealers blanche when they see us walk into one of their units and start thumbing through the book. The only problem we've had with it is the lack of "search" ability, something we will now have with the CD that comes with the membership package I just ordered. We are going to look at a '99 Safari 26' listed for $18K, probably this weekend; however, our credit union shows the retail value for it as only being $16600. It sounds like a fantastic buy, as it's only been used twice (one of the owners passed away) and has been in covered storage since then, but still a little high on price. With the scarcity of late model used Airstreams, should we consider paying more anyway? It's still a lot less expensive than a new one. Just wondering if the upcoming January RV shows might have better deals. So far, we haven't seen anything comparable in a new model for less than $32K. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks,
Cheryl

Old 01-21-2003, 01:22 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Looking for an Airstream

Cheryl & Carl

Might I suggest a 1998 Airstream Excella 30' that is absolutely in new condition? Please check the picture gallery for daltondbh and take a look at our 1998 Excella. We also have a 2002 Ford F-250 Diesel with 6,400 miles on it that is going also. Our reason for selling is simple, we have a house in NH and a house in FL. Thought we were going to sell the FL house but now we are going to keep. It is a matter of cost and use!

Please contact us, we might be able to make you an offrer you couldn't refuse, to coin a phrase!

Oh yeah, I'd deliver to Texas. We are currently in Winter Springs, FL

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:23 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Well we spent $30K for our 95 Classic Limited.The previous owners had never used the stove,microwave,and I have wondered if they ever used the shower???I have corian counter tops ..all the best options....so I dont know what to say about prices.I looked at new A/S and did not like the quality Thor Ind is putting out in the newer ones.In fact if you were to see ours up against a new one you might not be able to tell the difference.JD Gallant does not rate A/S as good as we thought he would.Which surprised us.He tells us that ,"buying an RV is an emotional act,no amount of information will guarantee you making the right choice."He says do not go to a trade show and buy.The hype will kill you. Leave your wallet at home so you arent tempted to do what we did. We feel ok about what we got for the price because I can turn this baby for what I paid pretty easy.But we love it and it serves our needs.Other than the "Fan-tastic Fan " opening in the middle of the night during a snow storm and getting stuck open..we havent had any major problems.All A/S have a great manual on all the components and the dealer we bought from took me thru the entire trailer inch by inch.In addition A/S has this network of experience to fall back on that is the best.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:30 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
hey Doug how much you want for the truck?????
Old 01-21-2003, 01:38 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Truck

Dear RubySlipper,

Somewhere in the area of 33,5......... didn't me to scare ya! I just bought it in Aug 2002 but can't sell the truck before the trailer because I said I would deliver the trailer if needed to whoever might buy it. Picture of the truck is in my gallery but that was before I got the fiberglass bed cover and the side steps.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:57 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Shopping for Airstream

Doug & Sue,
How much do you want for your Airstream? Also, do you have the towing specs? Our Expedition is only rated for 5900 lbs towing, but it's a lease, and we're checking now to see if we can trade it for a truck that will do the job, probably a 4x4.

Also wondering if anyone else has any comments or experience with the newer trailers since Thor took over?????

Thanks,
Cheryl & Carl
Old 01-21-2003, 01:57 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Tampa RV Show

Went to the Tampa RV show this past weekend over in Tampa and Airstream had some nice rigs on display. They had 2 Retro styled units that we did not care for and one expando. The expando was okay but really didn't add much to anything except the price. A new 30' runs in the area of $60k... ouch! We spent less than half that 6 months ago and really feel we have a better product than what is being made today.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:06 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

We are looking in the area of $29.5k as a starting point but you have to see and touch to know what you are getting. The rig weighs in at less than 8,000 lbs. Your Explorer is way too small to tow. The plastic that the company put on the carpeting in the bedroom is still in-place in our unit and the rest is hardwood flooring.

My Ford is a F-250, F-150 is too small and I highly recommend the diesel unless you have stock in oil. I get about 18 around town and at least 14 pulling the rig. I am not exaggerating, honest. Mine is also a 4x4 and again, I would recommend that to anyone. Never buy something "just" big enough to tow your unit, you'll regret the day and wind up spending more money. The F-250 with disel will easily tow up to 12,500 lbs.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:09 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Sorry, I meant Expedition, not Explorer
Old 01-21-2003, 02:17 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Still shopping...

Doug & Sue,
Your trailer sounds wonderful. We would prefer hardwood flooring. Yes, we know the Expedition wouldn't be an acceptable tow rig. That's the primary reason we're looking at the Safari line, although we don't like the interior nearly as well, due to the lighter weight materials they've had to use to reduce weight. We figure that since it's a trailer, it won't be all that difficult to upgrade as we go along, once we get out of this lease and into a larger vehicle. We will definitely be moving to a 4x4, most likely a diesel. The problem we face right now is that we could afford your trailer, but not another tow vehicle. We're still waiting for a call back from our leasing dealer. We talked to them yesterday about turning in our Expedition early for a pick-up, and they said "no problem", but they haven't called back, so they probably don't want to let us out of the lease, especially since the current leases have lower monthly payments than the one we got stuck with a few years ago.

By the way, I forgot to ask. What color is the interior of your trailer. We're interested, but it will depend on whether or not we can do something about a tow vehicle. I should know something within the next day or so. In the meantime, if you could send some pictures to my email: cheryljackson@att.net, that would be great!!! Also, can you send me the specs, options, etc., so I can check on financing with our credit union? That will help in our decision-making process.

Thanks,
Cheryl & Carl
Old 01-21-2003, 02:25 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Ok..too much for the truck. I can get a 2003...F250 Diesel 4x4...for $31K.Hummmmmmm.Dougs Rv floor plan is identical to mine.Its a workable plan.Perfect for 2 people....the animals?????Cheryl..call the bumbs and TELL them what you want.There are rebates to the tune of $2K and then there are the hold back monies that the skunks dont want you to know about.And look for a new 2002 that is still on the lot...they exist.Good things come to those who wait.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:33 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Cheryl..I saw a Excella either a 28 to 31'at a dealer on I-70..about 15 miles from me.Dont know anything about it.Its at Wilder Rv..573-592-8000. We bought at Bill Thomas outside of St Louis...they always have used ones and a service dept that is ok by me. And I am a royal pain sometimes.Their number is 800-367-5767 or 636-327-5900.Sometimes just getting handles on dealer prices can give you a better idea.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:37 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Expedition woes

Dear Rubyslipper,
Thanks for the advice. I've been trying to call them back because I KNOW they can trade us out of this lease. The guy isn't returning my calls, probably because they're still make so much money by keeping us in this lease. I'm getting ready to turn the heat up a notch on him though because they supposedly base their reputation on a lot of return business, which they certainly aren't going to get from us if this continues!!! They will be able to turn our Expedition around instantly and sell it again. It's black, has the sports package, all leather interior, we've had it professionally detailed every 6 months, and it's got less than 50K miles on it. It has the heavy duty tow package with a receiver hitch, so it's a great vehicle for someone who wants to tow a boat or just use if for running around town.

I'll keep hammering on these guys and try and get them to move on this!!!

Cheryl & Carl