Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
vintage camp ground

many on here know me from my rallies I have had from few years ago and 2 years ago a new venture away from my restoration business of a rv park dedicated to airstreams and vintage trailers, this venture was closed due to my friend and partner passing away 3 weeks before opening.
Well the dream is back we have good news our park is a reality though not in Mason but in the hill country 2 miles from a state park and close to our number 2 shop on rr 3232 by Johnson city. we have 13 sites presently 3 cabins 2 of a B&B rentals. plans are increase the 50amp and full hookup to 7 , 30 amp to 5. and 4 vintage rental trailers and 10 boon dock sites set in the 9 acre park., currently walking sites, covered outdoor kitchen, new 4 stall shower bath open roof style . each site has fire pit and seating area partial shade but all sites are untouched natural vegetation pads will be clear for size of trailers this is a 9 acre ranch and the direction I am taking is leave the darn trees, and natural vegetation it is a rural setting but close enough to town for supplies you want light, light a camp fire this is a get away back to nature see the stars relax and enjoy . we are sprucing up now due to start opening sites mid Aug. Oct will be several rentable vintage unites one Spartan for sure, west craft maybe airstream for sure. will post updates as we progress
Old 07-23-2016, 05:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Good news. Are you familiar with the Tin Can Tourists? They have a listing on their website if vintage friendly cgs. Join their Facebook page and post your info. Good people.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Hey Sean, you know pictures are required......
Old 07-23-2016, 06:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
And contact info, location, etc. please.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Yeah , this is good news. Congrats. Sounds cool.

You have my blessing. It seems like you have the skill sets ( know your way around RVs, campgrounds, and camping ) to make a go of it.

I guess you realize that you are near The Appalachian Trail. You may be able to get a little business from hikers. ( A safe place to park cars while hiking, and shuttle service.) Long distance hikers often need a place to rest a few days, recuperate, put a good feed on, take a shower, and wash clothes. Just a thought. You could put the word out to The A.T. Conservancy, Whiteblaze Hiking Forum, and Awol's A.T. hiker guidebook.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Stick to it! (the dream)

I will be a regular visitor. Lets see some pics and location info.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

I guess I seemed presumptuous.

Like,... you don't really need my blessing. Allow me to explain.

I have a degree in Marketing, My Dad was a big shot Accountant/Auditor. My daughter has a masters in Finance. ( My daughters mother has a blackbelt in spending money )

I had a dream to own a campsite/music venue. I did the math and also realized that it would be a 52/24/7 job.

A guy tailed me on the highway and followed me into a gas station. He wanted to start up a Vintage Trailer Campground catering to Artists. He already bought about five canned hams without showers. He wanted to buy my trailer for less than a thousand dollars. I brought him inside the trailer and told him how much I spent to fix it up. How much it cost to get a Canned Ham not to leak. How much it costs to build a bathhouse, how much it cost put in a septic tank, run plumbing, and electric to every site. Asked him if he had spoken to an insurance agent. And asked him why he wanted to limit his target market to Artists. I found out he had 5 acres for the project. He wanted my telephone number so I could consult him…..He never called.

I never got around to camper cleaning, linen, towels or grounds keeping.

Yeah I burst his bubble, and he didn't get my blessing. You do, even though I haven't seen your books. I think you have what it takes to run a vintage campground. FWIW

I will say this…A water feature, river, creek, lake, pond, or even a pool, is a big plus as far as drawing in campers. But the pool is an insurance liability.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #8
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Soooo, what state will you be in.....can't wait to support you venture.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Where?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Thanks for all the support , pictures will be forth coming. we have had a busy first week. have made a tentative plan for some larger sites, located good area for 7 boondock sites yep I said that looking at setting up generator friendly area for many do want the nature no frills camping . and some tent sites. we have good hiking trailers, a outdoor covered kitchen. common areas of fire pits going in this weekend , our main horse corral is ready for 3 mounts coming in this weekend two filly's and a colt. we are getting ready to start road work in two weeks. will be setting up a small get to gather rallies end of aug for input from the best us airstreamers and vintage camper people very cut site rate just enough to cover my bbq food I will cook up for us like many times before .
Old 07-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Is this Johnson city, tn?
Old 07-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #12
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
some before work pictures of the 9 acres
Old 07-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #13
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Is this Johnson city, tn?
by Johnson city Tx, on rr 3232
Old 07-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Thanks.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1958 22' Flying Cloud
San Angelo , Texas
Congratulations Sean! Glad to see you're restarting this endeavor! We are always looking for cool places to camp near Austin. Can't wait to see pictures!

Joy M
Joy M is offline   Reply With Quote