Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
As someone who doesn't own vintage anymore, I think a late-50s Caravanner is a contender. That big bank of windows is so distinctive. I've spent a lot of time daydreaming about renovating one of those...

But there's little doubt (no pun intended) that the 16-17 foot trailers are the most universally beloved.

Tom
Old 01-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
The best Airstream is the one you have that you like.
Well said.

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
My Favourite Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post

My personal favorite has always been the 1968 Airstream Caravel

Which model year & size do you believe is the most sought after for function, style and rarity?
My vote for the most desirable and sought-after Airstream vintage trailer is the one-of-a-kind "Kleine Prinz" which is pretty much unobtanium.

I too love the smaller units and have a beautiful 1968 Caravel. It's perfect for my family's requirements. It is totally satisfactory in every way and I rejoice the fact that we found it and we're able to have the opportunity to take care of it for a while.

In my humble "Baby Boomer's" opinion the 1968 Airstream Caravel with the front dinette floor plan is THE quintessential Airstream in styling and represents this country's highest quality design, materials and workmanship. It was 100% made-in-the-USA at a time when it was unquestionably "the best there was". We like everything about it and would not trade it for another A/S (not even a "Bambi") except possibly a "Bubble" an event that is highly unlikely.

My wife Cynthia likes it too which is a big plus.

It's good to be back on Airforums after a couple years hiatus. Hello to all my friends; both old ones and the ones I haven't met yet.

Best regards,
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Hello Mistermike

Hello Mistermike. Alwayse wanted to attend nearfest but never made it. Maybe this year. I don't have a vintage AS but the 88 Excella 25ft fit's my needs quite well.
73 nm1oqrz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike View Post
My vote for the most desirable and sought-after Airstream vintage trailer is the one-of-a-kind "Kleine Prinz" which is pretty much unobtanium.

I too love the smaller units and have a beautiful 1968 Caravel. It's perfect for my family's requirements. In my opinion it is THE quintessential Airstream in styling and highest quality construction. I like everything about it and would not trade it for another A/S (not even a "Bambi") except possibly a "Bubble" which is highly unlikely.

My wife Cynthia likes it too which is a big plus.

It's good to be back on Airforums after a couple years hiatus. Hello to all my friends; both old ones and the ones I haven't met yet.

Best regards,
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Hi "nm1o"

You don't need a vintage Airstream or anything else to come of NEAR-Fest. Hope you can make it in May. If not there's October 11th and 12th 2013.

We have a great time. Robin, KB1UFH and Richard, KB1UFI are always there with one of their Airstreams and we encourage other Airstreamers, licensed or not, to attend our little radio bash.

73 de MisterMike, W 1RC
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1960 18' Traveler
lafayette , Oregon
the wife and i have been involved with vintage trailers for the last 6 years I have restored 5 trailers a 47 kenskill teardrop ,57 cardinal 14ft, 56 roadmaster 20ft , 51 Boles Areo 16ft and now a 1960 traveler airstream 18ft. My wife bought this trailer over 30 years ago and then gave it to her daughter and her family about 25 years ago. My step daughter gave it back to me last year after it had sat unused for over 20 years...The trailer has a build date of 9/1959 as a traveler but the trailer has the floor plan of a 1959 comet...we are keeping the interior original with a few modern upgrades, The wife says this one is a keeper as it is a part of our family
mvperini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm1oqrz View Post
Hello Mistermike. Alwayse wanted to attend nearfest but never made it. Maybe this year. I don't have a vintage AS but the 88 Excella 25ft fit's my needs quite well.
73 nm1oqrz
But an Airstream that is 25 years old or more is vintage, 2013-1988=25 years old, so you now own a vintage Airstream.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1960 18' Traveler
lafayette , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvperini View Post
the wife and i have been involved with vintage trailers for the last 6 years I have restored 5 trailers a 47 kenskill teardrop ,57 cardinal 14ft, 56 roadmaster 20ft , 51 Boles Areo 16ft and now a 1960 traveler airstream 18ft. My wife bought this trailer over 30 years ago and then gave it to her daughter and her family about 25 years ago. My step daughter gave it back to me last year after it had sat unused for over 20 years...The trailer has a build date of 9/1959 as a traveler but the trailer has the floor plan of a 1959 comet...we are keeping the interior original with a few modern upgrades, The wife says this one is a keeper as it is a part of our family
a few pictures of our airstream
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	099.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	179370   Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	179371  

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	179372  
mvperini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Smile Didn't Think I was That Old

Hello Wazbro. I didn't think of it that way as most people are talking about trailers in 50's through the 70's never dreamed that my lowly 88 Excella had achieved a vintage status. I love this little AS and hope to be pulling it for a long time in the future.
I see your 31ft Excella has also been elevated to vintage status.
Happy camping nm1oqrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
But an Airstream that is 25 years old or more is vintage, 2013-1988=25 years old, so you now own a vintage Airstream.
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm1oqrz View Post
Hello Wazbro. I didn't think of it that way as most people are talking about trailers in 50's through the 70's never dreamed that my lowly 88 Excella had achieved a vintage status. I love this little AS and hope to be pulling it for a long time in the future.
I see your 31ft Excella has also been elevated to vintage status.
Happy camping nm1oqrz
I know what you mean, some don't even seem to consider 70's to be vintage, at least when discussing Airstream trailers, not as far as trying to exclude them or anything.

I didn't really think about mine being vintage till I was thinking about yours and you saying you didn't have a vintage Airstream.

Happy camping Wazbro.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
As someone who doesn't own vintage anymore, I think a late-50s Caravanner is a contender. That big bank of windows is so distinctive. I've spent a lot of time daydreaming about renovating one of those...

But there's little doubt (no pun intended) that the 16-17 foot trailers are the most universally beloved.

Tom
A 13-panel Caravanner will be my "Forever Trailer." I just have to complete renovation on two others first, for my kids. Then that one will be all mine! (and my wife's, of course )
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
A 13-panel Caravanner will be my "Forever Trailer." I just have to complete renovation on two others first, for my kids. Then that one will be all mine! (and my wife's, of course )

They make really fine "Forever Trailers."

Good to see you back, Marcus!

-steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , United States
Hands down the 1960 Tradewind, tandem axle.

Greg
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Marcus - Nice to see you back. Been missing your input.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
1966 model year with 13 panels, dual axle, Tradewind layout in birch, Argosy vista windows front, rear entry door in a 26 foot size please. Oh, and polished to a mirror like shine and wrapped in clear vinyl for no fuss cleaning.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post

-steve
You're indeed a lucky one, I love your trailer! Maybe someday you'll drag it down here to show it off. And it's very good to see you as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
Marcus - Nice to see you back. Been missing your input.
Same to you Jim, I've missed y'all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
1966 model year with 13 panels, dual axle, Tradewind layout in birch, Argosy vista windows front, rear entry door in a 26 foot size please. Oh, and polished to a mirror like shine and wrapped in clear vinyl for no fuss cleaning.
Now THAT would be a sight to behold. Be sure to post pics when you obtain this rare find.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post

-steve
I think "Forever" trailer sounds much better than Final trailer.....

Steve, you have made sure that your 57' will live on.

On this subject, I always think it is funny (and odd) when someone posts that they have just bought their FIRST Airstream! It sounds like they are already planning to be serial trailer buyers. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Good to hear from you Marcus! I saw your mention of possibly moving from the Overlander to something bigger - say it isn't so!

Our "forever trailer" will probably wind up being a modern 25' with twins, hopefully modified with an L-lounge and rolling table like our Safari - all of which would be vintage in about another 20 years... :P

Tom
Old 02-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Good to hear from you Marcus! I saw your mention of possibly moving from the Overlander to something bigger - say it isn't so!

Our "forever trailer" will probably wind up being a modern 25' with twins, hopefully modified with an L-lounge and rolling table like our Safari - all of which would be vintage in about another 20 years... :P

Tom
Ha! No worries Tom, I'm just dreaming along. As the kids get bigger I wouldn't mind moving up in size a bit (All that salon space at the front of Rob Baker's 58 SOTR sure looks nice, and the way his family is expanding it just might be for sale soon enough!).

But in any scenario, I'd be keeping the Overlander. My kids have informed me that they each want an Airstream from me when they're "old" and have families of their own.

So, perhaps my "final" number will be 3. Of course, I've always wanted a Spartan Manor too, so...