Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Shorewood RV - Anoka MN - Service Capability

Goodmorning...as a somewhat limited handyman...still pre-retirement...I would need access to a quality AS service provider...hopefully close to my Minnesota home base...Two Harbors and Minneapolis.

I have visited Shorewood RV in Anoka. Not sure that they are very focused on Airstream product line? To date I have no info on the Shoewood AS service capability??

Have any of you used Shorewood?...for purchase or more importantly...for service?

I am willing to attempt to leard and "do it myself" as I move forward...BUT...I need to know where I will go for those repairs that i am not able to do myself.

I am confident Shorewood can perform "regular and ordinary" AS service...but what about some of the issues on the older '70s and '80s AS...such as the rear sag/separation "fixes"? Disc brake convertion? Other items relative to the non-current Airstreams.

I would appreciate any comment regarding Shorewood...sales and service...with an emphasis on service.

Thanks...Tom R in Two Harbors
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Shorewood

I have used Shorewood in the past and found them very expensive. You are correct when you say that they aren't focused on Airstream. I tried to order a simple door latch from their parts department and never got the correct part. After several tries, I gave up and ordered it from a dealer in Iowa. I no longer do any business there. There are good private repair shops in the area. The one I use most often is Lakeland Coach in Burnsville. They seem to be able to fix anything.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Tom -- I don't have vintage but I bought my Safari from Fogdall in Cedar Falls, IA. They cover the service waterfront from vintage to new. I would agree Shorewood doesn't have that reputation.

If I had a new trailer I'd probably stick to the original dealer, at least for the 2-year warranty period. If a shop can look past fear of aluminum, reliable local RV service shops should be able to address basic systems such as lube of wheel bearings, fridge, A/C, water heater & furnace. The RV industry and Airstream have shared sourcing on the same brands and modular sizes for these subsystems. Specific Airstream parts will probably need Airstream-experienced shops. But close to Two Harbors? I don't know there...

Older units will be costly anywhere if hiring somebody else to do substantial work. Many members find that 1990s Airstreams can be very reliable units. Best of luck in your search!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Thanks for the info Gunner and Bob...my visit to Shorewood was not real impressive. Just a couple of basic units. I wonder if they have much sales volume?

It appears that Fogdahl(sp?) has a good reputaion. Probably could take care of "normal" service at any number of locations.

BTW...we have a townhouse in Eden Prairie and our adult children and grandchildren are in Mpls area so we kind of live half time in Two Harbors (80 acres in the country!) and half time in Eden Prairie (townhouse in the metro!) ...also wife's 93 year old father is in Mpls area. Will likely sell Eden Prairie as we retire. ..1-2 years...we are both self employedwith flexible work schedules.

Thanks...Tom R in Two Harbors...tomorrow to Eden Prairie...nice that internet travels with us!
Old 09-10-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Shorewood sells Airstream trailers.

See this thread for some additional information (there are others you will find if you use the search function):
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ight=shorewood

I've heard some very good things about Hart Trailer Sales in Long Prairie. They still sell Thor products. I heard they were dropped by Airstream, but have a decent parts inventory and know older Airstreams.

I have not personally used them for work on my trailer. I make several trips a year past Fogdall in Iowa, so I have used them.

There are several of us in Minnesota that can guide you through a fix, large and small.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Depending on season and other factors, dealers may not keep many spec units on hand. Shorewood will have a fair number on the lot in late Spring. You'll generally not be able to walk aboard a sold unit -- which I respect entirely! They usually bring 5-6 Airstreams to the February RV show at the Mpls convention center.

I don't know that Fogdall ever maintains much on-hand Airstream inventory. They are in a tight market with a new dealer in Davenport (I believe) and Shorewood opening a dealership in Des Moines. I let Fogdall know what I was looking for in advance and they prepared well for my shopping visit. It still wouldn't hurt to have a quote in hand from Shorewood.

Fogdall's reputation among Forums members is very good. I called them last week to schedule service later this month -- I have one cabinet problem I'd thought only the factory could fix but Fogdall's wanted to have the first shot. I fully expect to have another good experience there!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Shorewwod RV - Anoka MN - Service Capability

Greetings TomR!

I can echo the recommendations for Ace Fogdall in Cedar Falls, Iowa. For the better part of the past decade, they have performed the vast majority of the maintenance and mechanical repairs on both of my coaches. While distance from their location has kept me from making my regular winterization trips the past two seasons, I will definitely continue making the effort to get my coaches to them for other repairs and maintenance.

My experience has been that they have extremely knowledgeable service techs with an exceptional inventory of parts. In the past, they have handled repairs from replacing a damaged side panel, correcting rear end separation on the Overlander, installing a new 3-way Dometic refrigerator in the Overlander, a new axle for the Minuet, new ZipDee awnings on the Overlander, and numerous other systems and chassis repairs.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I've stopped at Shorewood a few times when looking for non-Airstream parts, and I ordered my AC drain pan from them. No problems.

They let me know they aren't interested in working on Vintage Airstreams.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I informally negotiated a steep cash discount on one of Shorewoods' RV Show Airstreams a few years ago but could not convince my spouse we needed a new Airstream (WAH!)

Shorewood doesn't have old AS anything - if more than a few years old they will shake their heads in bewilderment on 7 out of 8 requests but will usually have contacts in that area for you to go to, though I didnt have any luck chasing down their leads.

The parts department scoffed at ordering axles from Inland RV and were of no help on locks or keys, but I did find a vintage can of Walbernize hidden in their store, and found a good two-step fresh water system treatment there... but beware the parts manager can look extremly punk-rocker on some days...
Old 09-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Thanks Mark and Wabbiteer...sounds like Shorewood is only good for new ASs and very "regular" service requirements. Fogdall in Iowa sounds like a good possibility for maybe both new and used service...including vintage type issues.

You guys familiar with the Clear Lake AS Park?

Thanks...Tom R in Two Harbors
Old 09-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I've stopped at Shorewood a few times when looking for non-Airstream parts, and I ordered my AC drain pan from them. No problems.

They let me know they aren't interested in working on Vintage Airstreams.
I got the same from Shorewood when I bought my vintage Airstream. They may sell Airstreams but I got the distinct impression it was just a token part of their business and they were only interested in servicing what they sold but with no passion or expertise you would hope to find from an Airstream dealer.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Thumbs up Fogdall gets my vote

I live in the Quad Cities and sometimes buy parts from the dealer in Davenport ,IA (Adventure RV). Service is very good but they are not that familiar with the vintage units. Kevin Allen recommended Ace Fogdall when I needed an air conditioner installed (never had one so the opening had to be cut, not a job for the inexperienced) and a new refridgerator (another tough job). Fogdall did an excellent job for me .

They also do an excellent job with mail orders and questions you might have. They are worth the drive.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote