Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Parts price changes

NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE

Airstream has advised that they will be changing many of their parts prices over the course of the next 2 months.

They have already changed a few, most of which were significant increases and a very few were decreases.

They are reviewing 54,910 of their parts.

They are not giving any advance notices of which parts, group of parts, category of parts, or the amount of increases.

They will advise their dealers only when the project is completed.

Also, if a particular part has not been ordered within the last 2 years, Airstream will delete it from their system.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Isn't that great????? This is what is wrong with America.

Only John Deere can supply parts back to when they first started manufacturing. (and maybe Fantastic Fans?)

I can understand a dealer not carrying seldom used parts, but the manufacturer should be responsible for continued availability of any part for the lifetime of the product.

Is Airstream indicating that their product should be recycled every two years? Things are going downhill fast.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE

Also, if a particular part has not been ordered within the last 2 years,
Airstream will delete it from their system.

Andy
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Isn't that great????? This is what is wrong with America.
Dave - Not to be contrary - but this might be an opportunity too and maybe exactly what's right about America. I suppose it would depend on demand, but an entrepreneur could build perhaps at least a lifestyle business manufacturing AS parts to OEM specs.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Chances are it will not be in America.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Dave - Not to be contrary - but this might be an opportunity too and maybe exactly what's right about America. I suppose it would depend on demand, but an entrepreneur could build perhaps at least a lifestyle business manufacturing AS parts to OEM specs.
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 11-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Chances are it will not be in America.

Dave
Well - entrepreneurship knows no geographical bounds :-)

There's probably enough talent, business and finance expertise among the membership here to capitalize on the opportunity. Could happen anywhere or even be a global enterprise :-)
Old 11-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Well - entrepreneurship knows no geographical bounds :-)

There's probably enough talent, business and finance expertise among the membership here to capitalize on the opportunity. Could happen anywhere or even be a global enterprise :-)
We have strived for many years, to have parts for the vintage coaches. It might be a good time to add to our list.

Perhaps the 25 year number is going out of style for "vintage". Maybe it's going down to 10 years, or less.

Airstream is simply stating that if they have not sold a given part in 2 years, that they will discontinue it. Considering the space that non moving parts occupy, I really have no problem with that issue.

They still have many parts that go back 40 years or more, that they still inventory, because they move. That's good business.

Andy
Old 11-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Problem is which parts for which model for which year? You could run into thousands of parts. I think 3D printers are going to make a huge difference in the future.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Problem is which parts for which model for which year? You could run into thousands of parts. I think 3D printers are going to make a huge difference in the future.

Aaron
I will post, as best I can, updates of when and what part prices changed.

I cannot post the prices, but I can post the parts by name, or at least by groups.

So far, most prices have increased for segments, rock guards and segment protectors (for the front quarter panels).

I remember when a cup of coffee was 5 cents, including cream and sugar.

Oh well, time changes many things, and prices too.

Andy
Old 11-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
That sounds good on paper, but I suspect that most AS owners will balk at paying premium prices for obsolete parts. And just wait until somebody has to buy some reproduction door hinges that were made in China and don't fit. I just returned a Chinese ignition switch that was genuine crap and paid twice as much for one I located in Phoenix in the original box and made in the USA. The Model A restoration industry is a prime example of reproduction crap made in China. Given a choice of buying cheap offshore reproduction parts or NOS (new old stock) I'll bet 80% will buy the cheap stuff.

The tooling cost alone to build AS parts to OEM specs would be prohibitive and remember that every Ford, GM, MoPar, etc reproduction part carrying a manufacturer's logo also is subject to a licensing fee.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

Aaron
Which is why (I presume) AS is not interested in stocking 55,000 unique part numbers especially if some large percentage of them are ordered every 5 years or so. Like I said - IF there's an opportunity...

To an entrepreneur, the difference between an idea and an opportunity is that the former is a dime a dozen, the latter is something you can actually make money on :-)
Old 11-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
That sounds good on paper, but I suspect that most AS owners will balk at paying premium prices for obsolete parts.

The tooling cost alone to build AS parts to OEM specs would be prohibitive and remember that every Ford, GM, MoPar, etc reproduction part carrying a manufacturer's logo also is subject to a licensing fee.
The cost obviously, to make small quantities of most anything, is greater.

Then when you talk about duplicating the original molds, then for sure you can forget it.

Some of the older parts can be made, at a higher cost, because of the low quantity, and may quite vary a little from one to another.

But, having a good working replacment, is far better than nothing at all.

Having things made by machine, is always far cheaper than by hand, one at a time. But, it does keep old timers, busy, if they wish.

Andy
Old 11-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I just don't get the greed of these large companies. (not just THOR)

If I was trying to sell a product, one of the first things I would try to confirm in the buyers eyes, is that of the longtime availability of quality OEM parts.

With all the technology today, you would think these companies would want to supply this market rather than give someone else the chance to get a foothold in the business. (the new guy will not be satisfied making some old odd part but will soon be a direct competitor for the finished product.)

With the 3D printing ability to make molds etc, why would a large company, with the financial ability, let this lucrative business go?

Would it not be nice to be able to order a new factory interior front molded dash or rear header for a 30 year old Airstream Classic right from the factory? This could be sold at just about any price to the collector/re builder world.

Dave
Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
You know what Dave, if you started a company based on what you just posted, I would think you would have zero investors.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I would also be afraid that the Airstream website might be cleaned up along with these new changes.

I suggest you download any document that may be of interest with regard to your older equipment.

For any company that brags about the number of produced units still on the road, you would think they might still want to support them with parts?????

And that is what is wrong with most business today. (Once they got your money your on your own.)

Dave
Old 11-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I just don't get the greed of these large companies. (not just THOR)

Would it not be nice to be able to order a new factory interior front molded dash or rear header for a 30 year old Airstream Classic right from the factory? This could be sold at just about any price to the collector/re builder world.

Dave
Dave.

The warehousing costs, says no.

The quantity that would have to be made in order to have a reasonable price, says no.

The money invested in parts that rarely sell, says no.

The inventory costs, says no.

The long term price increase because of added costs, like G and A, says no.

Other than the above, your idea won't sell, even at a garage sale.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is, or your business will fail faster than a speeding rocket.

Andy
Old 11-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
I would also be afraid that the Airstream website might be cleaned up along with these new changes. I suggest you download any document that may be of interest with regard to your older equipment. For any company that brags about the number of produced units still on the road, you would think they might still want to support them with parts????? And that is what is wrong with most business today. (Once they got your money your on your own.) Dave
Here's a photo of my hot rod powered with a 1931 Model A engine. One time at a show, people asked me if the engines were still available. I told them to go down to the Ford display and ask them about Model A crate motors. On the second day, the guys from the Ford booth came down and firmly suggested that I not tell people that Ford was still selling Model A engines!

The point of the story is manufacturers simply cannot continue to build and inventory obsolete parts and pieces. The automotive aftermarket does a thriving business under licensing agreements with the major auto companies. Unfortunately, these licensing agreements are more concerned with logo usage than reproduction parts quality.

Greed has nothing to do with a common sense business decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3398855188.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	200871  
Old 11-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A few years ago I was doing a restoration on an "older" Mercedes coupe. Over the 6 yrs or so that I was working on it I was able to order from MB parts for just about anything. From small springs, screws, washers. I only came upon one part that just simply was not available. Somehow I got around that one but can't remember what it was. They have an incredible resource of parts for their older cars. There has to be limits and I'm sure they have theirs but I found that their support was almost infinite.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote