Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Cool Online version of Airstream Life magazine

Hi all

Take a look at this ... I'm testing an online version of the magazine. You can try it out for free for the next 14 days (then it will go away).

Airstream Life » Free online edition!

After you've viewed it, let me know what you think.

It definitely costs something to produce an online edition, so the question is whether there's enough interest in the community to start doing this in the future.

If you're already a subscriber, would it be worth paying a small annual fee to add the online edition to your existing paper subscription? Would you want to get both the paper and online versions, or just one version?

If you're not a subscriber, would the electronic version entice into becoming a subscriber?

Would it be important to you to have a downloadable version in PDF, or is the online version sufficient?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow

Rich,
Let me begin by saying I have never, ever, seen a copy of the magazine. I have always wanted and intended to, but just never got around to it.
I even called another (dealer) member here and asked if he had any back issues he would sell me (at reduced price) and he said yes he did, but he would not accept payment. That he'd gladly mail them to me for no charge. Unfortunately they never arrived and I hesitantly called back twice, again offering to at least pay postage and he said no, that they would come asap. Well finally I recieved the much anticipated package and instead of having your mag (back issue) it contained factory sales lit and brochures. Well beggars shouldn't be choosy, so I dropped the whole expectation.
I have read some of your travel blog. I have also followed some of the posts here regarding both your trek and the magazine. I have enjoyed those perusals.
I have also noted that you, like many other of the early pioneers on this forum have greatly scaled down your postings here. I am sure there is and are stories behind those phenomenas that we will never know. But like your family's odyssey, I suppose all good (and bad) things must end.
As for your web mag; it would interest me under the following circumstances: first that it be an exact facsimile of the printed mag. No more , no less. With the exception that there be a comment and reply (by editor & author) feature. Those comments limited to the magazine only obviously.
I have always been so disappointed with on-line newspapers because what I want is an actual facsimile. Just the actual screenshot like image with a feature where I can flip the page and read every article, and ad just as if it was on high quality microfiche. I like the PDF idea for that reason and if I want to copy to paper something I can pick and choose. However I have no idea of the quality of photographs in PDF. Especially for copying.
Whatever you decide, I am sure it will be first class. So best wishes on the rollout.

dd

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
dd: Thanks for that feedback and your good wishes. I appreciate it.

Please give the online edition a try. I think you'll be pleased. To my view, it's exactly what you are asking for: an exact facsimile of the actual magazine.

You can even download it as a PDF and trying printing a page or two to see if the quality is satisfactory. (I'd be interested in that feedback too.)

In any case, you'll finally get to see a copy of the magazine!

Old 11-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I might come back to the fold with a electronic mag, as long as I see mo/hos featured from time to time.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have test driven the on-line version. I think that it's great, and easy to use.

I am a current subscriber, and would really prefer the on-line version ONLY. I think that's it the "green" thing to do. We don't need more paper in the landfill. It would even be better if the magazine website could maintain the prior issues for subscribers to access. The website could even provide an index to locate past articles of interest. This system would have to be less expensive to print and mail all those magazines. You could offer a "special subscription rate" for "cyber only" subscribers.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
Rich -

I really like it.

I am currently a subscriber for the printed version.

As to your questions - I don't know exactly how much I would pay extra for the on-line version in and of itself, but if you chose to put all your back issues up, I would certainly be willing to pay a little extra for that so I could have access to the archives without having to store paper copies.

How much extra? I don't really know - Maybe $5 - $10 per year.

The idea of being able to grab an article or part of the issue as a PDF file is very appealing but I don't know if it is really required.

Good luck on the project!

Wayne
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Airstream Life on the internet version

Hi Rich,
Nicely done!

Even with my eMac all of your buttons responded quickly and without a glitch. Turning pages was no problem. My current Mac has a 16 inch screen and while viewing the double pages, I could not find a way to increase the size of the page. Probably something my wife can figure out, but I gave up trying to zoom and getting no response.

Have a tiered subscription such as: hard copy & internet and internet only. The internet version at a reduced rate. And... maybe with the internet version a comment section for subscribers about that issue and articles. Within a few years you will find the internet version only gaining popularity and you can then adjust your subscription fee to make the transition profitable for you and your staff. I am in the transition from hard copy to electronic reading now, but the advantages of an internet copy are plenty. It can be recovered anywhere, anytime there is service and the copy cannot be left out on a picnic table and taken.

If I can get the "enlarged" version on my current Mac, I will not be bashful to let you know my experience of full sized pages. You obviously have put some well thought effort into the "eMag" version of Airstream Life and it is something I will investigate for the future.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Hi Rich,

Being a subscriber from day 2 (missed the initial issue) I like to read AS Life kicked back in an easy chair, not seated before the computer screen. So I probably wouldn't subscribe to an online version. But I could appreciate the opportinity to get one's AS Life fix on line when on the road for months at a time. For me, I prefer having a copy waiting when I get home.

Jay in Cheyenne
Old 11-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Rich,

I've subscribed since the beginning, and first off I'd like to say wow, that is the BEST online magazine interface I've seen yet!

But I don't think it fits in with the way I use the mag. I don't particularly enjoy reading articles on the web, it always feels like I'm just browsing. With the paper magazine I never throw them away (though I occasionally give them away), and I usually stick them in the trailer where I can read them slowly while relaxing in the 'stream.

This year Tropical Fish Hobbyist was giving away one year subscriptions to the online version for free. I signed up, but the interface was so bad, I only looked at it a few times. I haven't even glanced at it the past few months. I enjoyed what I could read of it, and considered buying the regular version, but then it seems like I should be able to use it online and I just never got around to doing anything about it. There's so much info available for free, it's hard to go out of my way to pay for content, on or off the web.

Back before we had DSL and the net really took off I subscribed to all sorts of magazines. ASL is actually the only mag we subscribe to now, all our other content we get for free on the web. ASL offers a beautiful magazine, great pictures, interesting articles. It's worth paying for.

Recently we even cancelled our newspaper subscription. Since the paper is filled mostly with AP stories, we were finding we had already read most of the articles online days or even a week before the newpaper got around to printing the story. Local news is available online for free, as is comics (the only other thing I cared about in the paper).

I'm rambling. I guess I'm just saying the way we (us, personally) use and enjoy our media is changing rapidly. Maybe online would be the way to go before too long. But for now I still enjoy curling up with your high quality magazine and reading it the old fashoned way. Curling up with a laptop is just not the same.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Rich,

I really like the online version, although I really love the printed version and love the exitement of looking into my mailbox when I know that a new printed version should be on its way across the big pond...

I just tried the online version on my iphone, but it is definitly small as long as you can´t zoom into the page (flash is not working on the iphone...). I would love to have both... online on the iphone and laptop and a printed version for evenings with redwine on the couch...

so keep up on that project!!

As always - great job, great ideas and a great mag...

Greets,

BJoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hey that's me, Meet the Airstream Life Team, page 4. -toot-toot- Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end we'd sing and dance

Good times! Hi Rich. I do like my paper copy to carry with me in the Airstream and show other Airstreamers I meet on the road. I think the combination or either/or option would meet everyone's needs and preferences. You can't beat paper for perusing pictures and graphics.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Great idea! Looks good & easy to navigate!

Actually, Rich, Airstream Life is the only magazine/subscriptions that we still receive in hard copy. We discontinued all of our other subscriptions (except your mag) unless we could receive the publication in an "e" format.

When the kids moved out of the house & we downsized, we were left with years of magazines that I had boxed because I wanted to save an article. Sporadically, I'd scan the article in question to the computer for future reference, pass on (or unload) a magazine. Ultimately, the boxes of magazines ended up in the landfill.

We travel a lot now and really appreciate the ability to download & save a pdf copy of a magazine/publication, especially while on the road. As well, the pdf option saves me the step of scanning articles(s) for future reference as we don't have the physical capability to archive the hard copies.

If given the option, we'd go for the "e" version of the magazine only. Yes, I do like curling up with a good read, however, we like the green convenience of the "e-zines."
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Nicely done, Rich. I go electronic for a lot of "short" things but there is just too much good detail in your mag for an electronic version as a substitute, and I don't think I'd pay extra for the archive (I keep my copies).

Best wishes - we love your magazine and will definitely renew (the paper edition!) when the time comes.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #14
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Sweet, now I can read as the new edition as they come out instead of waiting for months until I get back to the United States. Although it was nice to have a couple copies waiting for me as a treat when I get back home.

Will we have the option to subscribe online only or will we have to pay for offline and then upgrade for online access?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr View Post
If you're already a subscriber, would it be worth paying a small annual fee to add the online edition to your existing paper subscription? Would you want to get both the paper and online versions, or just one version?

If you're not a subscriber, would the electronic version entice into becoming a subscriber?

Would it be important to you to have a downloadable version in PDF, or is the online version sufficient?
Hi Rich,

Although I really like the on-line version, I would not be willing to pay extra for both. However, sometime in the future, I might be willing to give up my paper version....I think we are all headed that direction anyway.

I think the ability to download an individual article as a PDF might be important....but, not the entire magazine.

Would all back issues be available?

Cheers

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 11-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia

Easy to use but...I like to surf the back paper.

OS I guess
Old 11-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Rich, like so many other subscribers, I look forward to finding my copy of ASL in the mailbox. From there, it is first transported to the bathroom in the house where SWMBO* and I share the initial reading during "quiet times" in the loo. Later, I put it in the bathroom in the AS and I often share with others at parks and rallies. Having an online edition would be a fine adjunct. Particularly important would be the ability to search across all issues. But I am not ready to give up a hard copy. With my arthritis, it's so much easier to hold and balance while seated in the john than a laptop would be...

As to price, it should only be a modest increase over the paper-only subscription price. While I am sure some work goes into producing a web-ready copy from your camera-ready format, but I suspect within a couple of issues y'all would have the process almost completely automated with Java scripts and the like. Hence the opinion that it shouldn't cost a whole heck of alot extra.

Keep up the good work. I know you are facing significant challanges with the impact of the economy on your ability to produce you magazine. Advertising dollars are going to be tougher to acquire and you'll have to be clever to keep up with the challenges you face. Good luck!

*SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Please do not degrade your quality magazine this way. I look at Airstream Life as something special. I think it is more than just a magazine, it is treated like a book in our house. If some will only take it online go right a head and offer it that way, but for me keep printing on paper. Airstream Life is a worthy use of trees.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Questions answered, sort of ...

Wow -- this is all really great and useful feedback. I can't offer definite answers to all the questions yet, but will be working on it for the next couple of months.

Q: Will we have the option to subscribe online only or will we have to pay for offline and then upgrade for online access?

A: I am pretty sure we will have an option for people to subscribe to the online version only if they want to. It makes sense to me.

Q: Will back issues be available?

A: Not initially. In the early days of the magazine we didn't keep our art files in a form that transfers to this online format. We will probably offer issues from Spring 2009 onward in online format, and prior issues will continue to be available only as paper copies, at least until they run out. Perhaps later we'll go back and convert all the old issues to online version as well, but it would be a big (expensive) project and we'd definitely have to charge something for access to them.

Q: Will there be a special rate for "online only" subscribers, OR will there be a special rate for "paper" subscribers who want to upgrade to the online option?

A: That's a tough one. Subscription prices will depend on what our costs turn out to be to run this system, and whether advertisers support the online version. We're looking into this now. Personally I'd like it to be FREE to all existing subscribers, and would do so if one of our advertisers stepped up to help make it happen. Anyone want to be the official sponsor of the online edition?

Q: Can we get both the print and online version?

A: Definitely. I liked Jay's comment to the effect that "I could appreciate the opportunity to get one's AS Life fix on line when on the road for months at a time" while still "having a copy waiting when I get home." Why not both?

Q: How do you increase the size of the page?

A: Click on any part of the page and it will "zoom in".

Thanks for all this feedback. More is certainly welcome. The trial issue will stay online for two weeks.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog299 View Post
....like so many other subscribers, I look forward to finding my copy of ASL in the mailbox. From there, it is first transported to the bathroom in the house where SWMBO* and I share the initial reading during "quiet times" in the loo. Later, I put it in the bathroom in the AS and I often share with others at parks and rallies. Having an online edition would be a fine adjunct. Particularly important would be the ability to search across all issues. But I am not ready to give up a hard copy. With my arthritis, it's so much easier to hold and balance while seated in the john than a laptop would be...

*SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed
Wil,

You made may day with this paragraph!!!!!!!!! ROFLMAO!

Cheers

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU

Tags
airstream life, magazine, online, pdf