Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2003, 09:29 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
Cool North Dallas RV is Top Notch

I had the front top 5 panels replaced on my '99 Safari due to hail damage. North Dallas RV is an Airstream repair facility and do great work. Mine looks brand new. Randy is the head guy and is first class. "Randy, if you read this, Thanks again for the nice work." If you are in the Dallas area and need some work, it will be done right at North Dallas RV.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 10:35 AM   #2
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
They are working on my Bambi right now. When I pick it up, Randy is going to provide me with a list of vintage skins that they have IN STOCK, I'll post the list on here!

Contact Info:
NORTH DALLAS RV, INC.
2630 I-35 E. North
Carrollton
TX
972-242-0404
(Ask for Randy, tell him you read about them on AirstreamForums.com!)
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 11:29 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

North Dall RV

I'll second that!! We have been doing business with them for three years and they are great people. If they don't have it, they will find it for you. It is always a pleasure to do business with them.

Gloria Pace
Greenville, Tx.
69 Overlander
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 12:17 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

great news ...

As someone who's still in the long, slow, frustrating shopping stage for a vintage AS, it's great to know that North Dallas RV is so highly regarded. Because once I buy, I suspect I'll be spending a fair amount of time there.

Mike Young
Carrollton, TX
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Angry maybe I'll give them a second chance...

I was refered to North Dallas RV buy the customer service person at Jackson Center. I dont know who I spoke to but He was rude and not intrested in helping me at all. I pretty much gave up the project completely. I wanted to have a new water heater put in my '67. The reason I wanted to go there was that I wanted them to fashion something for the door that wouldnt be ugly and white. It can be done because people have described the process and offered options for patching the skin, etc. The person that I spoke to seemed to think that it was a very strange request. He did not know anything about it. Seemed to find it strange that I had a vintage AS. (?) He consented to taking my name and number and trying to find out if anyone could do anything besides the standard white door. I never heard from him again. If you tell someone you you will look into something for them you should do so. If you tell them you don't know the answer to their question you should try to find someone who does. Not just "Oh, I dont know."
Just my experience but it was quite negative as his attitude was horrible. Maybe he was just passing through.

Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 02:22 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Plano , Texas
I have benefited from their skill and knowledge for over 15 months. They have helped me beyond any reasonable expectations. They offered to drive 100 miles round trip to retrieve our 1965 Caravel with a broken axle. They have obtained the unobtainable parts and fashioned parts when off-the-shelf is NLA. I trust them with the safety of my family when they pack the bearings and check the brakes and the comfort of my family when they fix a plumbing leak. I probably would not own an Airstream if North Dallas RV was not in business.

Like any business, they have to sell products and service to survive. Like any business they cannot exist by offering free advice. If any Airstream owner is passing through Dallas and needs assistance they are a phone call away and are conveniently located. North Dallas RV has several vintage units for sale on premises, so if anyone is ever in the market for a pre-owned unit they should contact the manager.

Just so you know, I am not affiliated with North Dallas RV. I just think I should pass on my experiences to ya'll.

Keith
Zed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 04:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

I sure do wonder who I was talking to.

Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 04:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Hmmm

Like the pilot said upon landing, " It's all in the approach that makes for a safe landing".

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:11 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Three weeks ago I purchased a 1987 29' Sovereign from a gentleman in Raleigh, NC. I had no idea how much of my time & money this new toy was going to require. On my way back to Austin, TX I decided I ought to stop off at North Dallas RV and take a look around. I walked out of their store with the following: (All much needed) New running lights all around, front porch light plastic cover, new pull strap for zip dee awning, Vulkem, Parbond & Walbernizer.

Over the past few weeks while waxing, starting to seal all seams and windows as well as replace lights I've been taking a few notes of things that needed to be done. They are:

Bypass Valve & Plumbing leak under bathroom sink
Re-Pack Wheel Bearings & Check Brakes
Sandblast & Paint Frame, jack & tool boxes
Miscelanouse Banana Skin Repair
Sealed underbelly repair & reseal underbelly seams
Z-lock for zip dee awning needs to be replaced (broken)
Fantastic Fan in Living Room
Fantastic Fan in Bedroom
Bathroom Fan will not open (but fan works)
Kitchen vent will not open (but fan works)
Door needs to be tweaked
Screen door needs quite a bit of work

Today I drove back to North Dallas RV and dropped off my trailer to have the above work completed. I'm scheduled to pick my AS up next Friday and I will let everyone know how it comes out and the quality of the overall work.

I would also appreciate hearing about anyone elses North Dallas RV experiences.

Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 01:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Intersting list

Barkingspider
Congrats on your "new" unit~
Jeff, I was just looking over your list and, thought it's so similar to what I either done myself or, the work I had done at the factory.
Just for reference, I have an '84 29' Sovereign.
BTW, those Fantastic fans are a great addition and work perfectly~!~ Did you get the ones with "rain sensor"?
I haven't had any problems with the stove vent yet..The bathroom vent didn't work when I bought my unit and, I ended up taking it apart, cleaned, re-oiled it, installed a new fan blade assy..Put it all back together...Work fine now..
You didn't mention it but...you might have North Dallas check your bathroom vent pipe's gasket..They need to be replaced about every 5 years..
The only other thing I'm planning on is replacing the old dried gasket seal around the front door. Ordered the parts from InLandRv last fall, just haven't gotten around to it yet..
Let us know how yours turn out..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 05:52 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Dropped my new 91 34, off sat. I purchased from out of state. It needed gas checked, Hole in belly skin repaired,and other mis. stuff a new owner would have done. Randy was there and he seemed to be very interested in my problems. I will post my results next week
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 06:31 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Plano , Texas
bill benton,
I saw your A/S on Saturday, sure looks nice! Did you see the family with the two young kids looking at becoming A/S owners? I hope the trend keeps going where younger owners enter the frey,
Keith
Old 01-11-2004, 07:22 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
All in all my experience with North Dallas RV was a positive one. Randy seemed to be attentive and knowledgeable. The sandblast and paint jobe they did on the frame, bumper and jackwas top notch. Fantastic Fans worked wonderfully and the Vulkem they used up top was nice and neat.

There were a few items that disappointed me:

1.) They installed the fanstasic fans with the wrong bezels - told me that's how they do all of them and I'd have to live with it. I didn't know any different and didn't find out till I got home that Fantastic actually makes one specifically for an Airstream. I have corrected the problem and the next customer that they install fans for will probably get the right bezel - I've called Randy and made him aware.

2.) My Airstrem was not ready when I got there to pick it up. I had already given them two extra days and ended up spending the night in a hotel as it got to be 7' pm and although they said they would stay until it was done I didn't want to have them rushing and my wife was ready to get out of there for the evening.

3.) When I arrived the next day I discovered the new Reese Dual Cam had been installed the wrong way so I had them let me reposition all brackets and then called them out when I was ready for them to drill the new holes - believe it or not they still charged me for the installation of the hitch. This was the first HP dual cam that they had ever installed and it probably would of helped if they had thoroughly read the instructions and measured twice before they drilled the holes.

Even with the above I would recommend them.

Joe
Old 06-19-2004, 04:38 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
They can work on my trailer anytime. Excellent service.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill benton
They can work on my trailer anytime. Excellent service.
This is an old thread.

What have you had done that you would recommend them?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 06:52 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Plano , Texas
Fixed the following on our Airstreams;
door alignment
refrigerator line evacuation
axle installation
dent repair
water line repair
winterize systems
hitch installation

I don't have my repair bills handy, so this list is not exhaustive, but there is nothing on an Airstream that they cannot repair, replace, or improve upon.

I visit the shop every couple of months. It is readily apparent that they care about pleasing their customers. You'd be surprised at some of the modifications they have performed (at customers' requests) that individualize an Airstream.
Keith
Old 06-19-2004, 10:10 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
So I'll be the first one to post something really negative about North Dallas RV. They royally screwed up a floor job I had them do. They also lied to me about replacing some insulation in the belly pan - guess they didn't think I'd ever take apart the botched floor job and find out. The trailer was actually in worse condition after I got it back than when I brought it in. On a positive note they refunded the money I paid for the floor job - but I'm still out time and money for the two round trip drives from Austin. I've posted pictures and additional comments regarding this on the following thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=11903

Make sure you take a look at the condition of the aluminum U channel before and after North Dallas RV got ahold of it. It has taken me a long time to try and get it back in shape. They also mangled some inner skin in the process. Joe
Old 06-20-2004, 09:25 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Rewired the heater.[ where mice chewed through all the insulation].fixed 3 roof leaks [which I couldn't find]. Redid brakes & berrings. I think there were only 2 magnets they found that were bad. I bought this trailer from a toyota dealer in Miss. who I guess he took it in on a trade and didn't know anything about its history. the wireing of this trailer was a mess in areas near the floor. Tested all gas.appliances. repaired water heater.Repaired alarge hole in bellypan. Had the bottles tested an recertified. Valves switched to new type.Found me a place nearby where I could have a state inspection done. You really have to go through a lot of crap, when you buy a trailer over 4000lbs. out of state, an bring it here and reregister it in Texas.Found me a spare wheel to match others. replaced gas lines which were dryrotted. and spent about 2hrs during the week answering dumb questions I had. My last trailer was a 71 Int. an boy did things change. They also ordered a matching 40lb bottle cover from a.s. and hounded them until they made it. They did everything I asked of them. told me how and why some things I had asked were not needed plus a few other things that were. Randy and I spoke daily. Usually it was he who called me. AND THEY DID IT ALL IN A WEEK.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pottsboro , Texas
Recent Experience?

I need to have some warranty work done. Does anyone have recent experence with N. Dallas RV?
emdubyadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I drove past there a number of times last year, thinking about getting some estimates. I used Blue Moon RV and was satisfied with the work done on my Silver Streak. But, after using Williams Airstream in Weatherford I can assure you it is worth the drive (Bush to 820 and across N Fort Worth).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote