Old 09-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Boyden , Iowa
New Demco Coupler

Good morning everybody,

I am the product manager for Demco Trailer Components division, located in Boyden IA.

I spoke with a fellow member today and he informed that there was some buzz about the new Demco coupler being used on 2020 Airstream Trailers. So i thought i would come here and field any question or concerns you guys may have.

A little back story on Demco, we are a family owned and operated business based out of Boyden IA. We have been in business for over 50 years and we have a pretty diverse line of products that we offer ranging from Agriculture, RV, Rental, Semi Trailers and of course Trailer products. We have been in the coupler business for just over 20 years now. I invite you all to check out our website at www.demco-products.com

As Far as the coupler goes on the 2020 Trailers,

The Coupler is an EZ- Latch coupler produced right here in Boyden IA. The design allows for the coupler to auto latch as you drop it over the Hitch Ball. This makes for an easy and quick hookup. The design by nature is a safer the the traditional coupler. The EZ- Latch is a spring biased closed system where as the traditional is not and requires secondary measure to keep it closed.

What this means as far as everyday use -
Just drop the coupler over the Hitch ball and your good to go,you do not need to remember to put a pin in it. If the ball is in the socket and the Composite handle is down you are ready to tow. When the coupler is latched and on a ball it acts for lack of a better term, like a Chinese finger trap. The harder the ball is pulled out the tighter the clamp is held in place.The coupler is tested to SAE standards without a pin in place. We do provide a hole in the side of the coupler that is meant for anti-theft purposes while towing.

Few more points of information that may answer some questions floating around out there.

The plastic handle- The Black Composite handle is much more than just plastic. It is a impact modified Nylon 6/6 that comes with a Lifetime Warranty. Hit me up on this if you have issues I will take care of you if you do happen to break it as nothing is indestructible . Here is a Youtube video about the handle that will tell you a bit more - https://youtu.be/xGVtfZbByI4.

Hooking and unhooking - Hooking is pretty well covered above, Back under the coupler drop it down and that is it. While the coupler is going over the Hitch ball, you can watch as it is lowered. The Handle will rise up and when the ball is in going into the socket it will fall back in place when the ball is seated in the coupler. This is when you know everything is as it should be. If you happen to back to far under and the handle doesn't fall back down completely. Give the truck or trailer a little push or just pull the truck forward and that should do the trick as the handle will fall into place. Un-hooking is just as easy. First thing you want to do the is pull the lever to the up position and go about jacking the trailer up. Important note- since our coupler is the opposite as most, jacking the trailer part way prior to flipping the handle up can lock the coupler in the closed position.
Sometimes if you have a situation where the truck is pushing against the trailer or Vice-versa, the coupler will not want to open. In this case you need to block the wheels on the trailer and pull the the vehicle forward to relieve the pressure and it should open.

Maintenance, Lube and Adjustments-
Our coupler requires no lube, no maintenance and no adjustments. A periodic visual inspection is all that us need. You can lube the ball socket if you wish to but it is not required.

Lastly- The form is pretty large and I'm sure i will not catch all the Demco related posts. So feel free to send people my direction if they have any questions or concerns

Demco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome aboard!

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , tx
Hello. I'm wanting to purchase a locking pin for security while towing.

How large is the hole in the Demco hitch and how long of a pin do I need to extend through the hitch with a lock on one side and a stop on the other...

Thanks!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Boyden , Iowa
You need a 1/4" pin that is 3" long
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
Hello. I'm wanting to purchase a locking pin for security while towing.

How large is the hole in the Demco hitch and how long of a pin do I need to extend through the hitch with a lock on one side and a stop on the other...

Thanks!
Demco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , tx
Is the hitching of the Demco to the ball and then lifting the truck rear axle with the trailer jack damaging these Demco's? This is the process told by dealers to secure the weight distribution hitches.

Seems to me that this force on the hitch is what is causing them to fail. I'm sure they work great as normal every day hitches, but they need to be able to lift the weight of the tow vehicle.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote

« Lens are going away | Top | - »