Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2017, 09:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Thanks, what are the dimensions of the IP65 unit? I have a 2017 FC with the new heat pump/AC, a penguin I believe, so wondering where it will fit best.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:20 AM   #22
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Thanks, what are the dimensions of the IP65 unit? I have a 2017 FC with the new heat pump/AC, a penguin I believe, so wondering where it will fit best.
The EasyStart 364 with the beige IP65 enclosure has the following dimensions, which include the mounting flange:
194mm L x 91mm W x 63.5 mm H
7.34" L x 3.58" W x 2.5" H
The EasyStart 364 with the black enclosure has the following dimensions, which also include the mounting flange:
178.4mm L x 36.2mm W x 52mm H
7.0" L x 3.0" W x 2.05" H
If your A/C has a protected area (e.g. electric box) that can fit the smaller black enclosure, that's the way to go. If there is no area that can fit it, and the EasyStart must be mounted in a location where it could get wet, then the IP65 enclosure is the way to go. As previously noted, the black enclosure version will eventually no longer be available, once the inventory is exhausted.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:54 PM   #23
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
Hi Troutboy. Although the EasyStart IP65 enclosure can withstand blowing rain and water immersion, its plastic material cannot withstand the UV of direct sunlight for extended periods of time (months and years). Therefore, it should be mounted underneath the shroud of the A/C unit.

Seems to me there's a market for an Easy Start that comes with a lengthy wiring harness, a waterproof UV-proof enclosure, and some 3M UHB tape to stick it to the roof.

Part of my wishes I got the 65 before I ordered the non-waterproof model. Haven't installed yet. Contemplating...

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #24
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Seems to me there's a market for an Easy Start that comes with a lengthy wiring harness, a waterproof UV-proof enclosure, and some 3M UHB tape to stick it to the roof.

Part of my wishes I got the 65 before I ordered the non-waterproof model. Haven't installed yet. Contemplating...
Thiel - I respect your opinion and wishes. I must point out though that hundreds of customers have successfully installed EasyStart 364 into their rooftop A/Cs of all brands and models with success, underneath the UV protection of the A/C's shroud, using the standard harness provided. In your case, if you feel you now need the IP65 model instead of the black enclosure, no worries. We'll exchange it free of charge. Just send an e-mail to our webstore with your previous web order number and request the swap. We'll ship you a new one with a free return shipping tag for the original one, and you won't be charged for the replacement if you return the original.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:10 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, we have a submersible sump pump that sits under water most of the time. Even with a psc motor, only two wires exit the sump pump housing. I don't think I want to break the seal to access internal wires. I guess the best solution will be either a new sump pump with a lower start current or a bigger genetator.
Can you run a vfd?
subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Interesting thread. I need to see what will fit in my A/C unit...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Subscribed for now
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsea View Post
Can you run a vfd?
What's a vfd? In any case, a new sump pump that has a lower starting current is likely the lowest cost solution.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Variable frequency drive, it's a device that allows you to crank up and down the pump RPMs and run at different rates. We use them in the water and wastewater field all the time. Helps save power as well.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:18 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
How does the Easy Start 364 affect the A/C warranty?
Old 02-15-2017, 10:20 AM   #31
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Ours is over 2 years old, so no issues here, but that is a good question. My instinct would be to wait until after the warranty expires to add this to the circuit.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
2nd question: I have dual A/C. I'm assuming you need a device for each A/C. Is that correct?
Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #33
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
2nd question: I have dual A/C. I'm assuming you need a device for each A/C. Is that correct?
I have two air conditioners but am thinking of only getting one micro air. I'll run it on the 15k that "bumps" on startup badly. Then I can run that on the generator.

I don't see an immediate need to purchase a second.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #34
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Ours is over 2 years old, so no issues here, but that is a good question. My instinct would be to wait until after the warranty expires to add this to the circuit.
And the warranty is only for the original purchaser. So even a newer used unit will be out of warranty.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Here is a very informative video that may answer a few questions folks may have.
I had been a proponent of the Hard/soft start capacitor option. Not after seeing the test results.
Thank you Mateo!

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
The EasyStart 364 with the beige IP65 enclosure has the following dimensions, which include the mounting flange:

194mm L x 91mm W x 63.5 mm H

7.34" L x 3.58" W x 2.5" H

The EasyStart 364 with the black enclosure has the following dimensions, which also include the mounting flange:
178.4mm L x 36.2mm W x 52mm H

7.0" L x 3.0" W x 2.05" H

If your A/C has a protected area (e.g. electric box) that can fit the smaller black enclosure, that's the way to go. If there is no area that can fit it, and the EasyStart must be mounted in a location where it could get wet, then the IP65 enclosure is the way to go. As previously noted, the black enclosure version will eventually no longer be available, once the inventory is exhausted.

When I go to the website I don't see anything about ip65. I only see the 364. Guess I'm looking in wrong place?
Old 02-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #37
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
When I go to the website I don't see anything about ip65. I only see the 364. Guess I'm looking in wrong place?
Hi dblee1950. Sorry for the confusion about this. The original EasyStart 364 has a black enclosure, which is not IP65. Presently, we are phasing in an IP65 (weatherproof and beige) enclosure for the same EasyStart 364 model at no extra cost, as we phase out and consume what remains of the original black enclosure. The website hasn't been updated yet and won't be until we finish off what remains. But, to help everyone out, if your A/C doesn't have enough space inside of its existing electrical enclosure to mount the EasyStart 364, and you need the weatherproof version, we'll move an IP65 version to the front of the production line for you if you request that in the order notes when you place your order.

The IP65 enclosure is slightly larger than the original black enclosure, which therefore has its pluses and minuses. For example, when I did the installation into two Dometic Penguin II units on an Airstream trailer on President's day a couple Monday's ago, the original black enclosure model was just small enough to fit inside the units' electric boxes. I therefore decided to use that one instead of the IP65. Check out my report in another Airforums thread at this link.

Eventually, the black enclosure will be gone, so every EasyStart 364 thereafter will be IP65 in the new beige enclosure. Right now though, you can choose from either, even though we don't differentiate anything on the website and in the webstore.

Hope this clears up the confusion. Thanks for your interest and for your question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EasyStart 364 (original).jpg
Views:	201
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	280661   Click image for larger version

Name:	EasyStart 364 (IP65).jpg
Views:	212
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	280662  

Old 03-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Hi dblee1950. Sorry for the confusion about this. The original EasyStart 364 has a black enclosure, which is not IP65. Presently, we are phasing in an IP65 (weatherproof and beige) enclosure for the same EasyStart 364 model at no extra cost, as we phase out and consume what remains of the original black enclosure. The website hasn't been updated yet and won't be until we finish off what remains. But, to help everyone out, if your A/C doesn't have enough space inside of its existing electrical enclosure to mount the EasyStart 364, and you need the weatherproof version, we'll move an IP65 version to the front of the production line for you if you request that in the order notes when you place your order.

The IP65 enclosure is slightly larger than the original black enclosure, which therefore has its pluses and minuses. For example, when I did the installation into two Dometic Penguin II units on an Airstream trailer on President's day a couple Monday's ago, the original black enclosure model was just small enough to fit inside the units' electric boxes. I therefore decided to use that one instead of the IP65. Check out my report in another Airforums thread at this link.

Eventually, the black enclosure will be gone, so every EasyStart 364 thereafter will be IP65 in the new beige enclosure. Right now though, you can choose from either, even though we don't differentiate anything on the website and in the webstore.

Hope this clears up the confusion. Thanks for your interest and for your question.

Thanks for the info. Btw your link didn't work for me. What are the dimensions of the newer unit? I'll take a look at my 2017 25FC AC unit after this trip a try to determine if I can fit it in the electrics hole. Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #39
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
Thanks for the info. Btw your link didn't work for me. What are the dimensions of the newer unit? I'll take a look at my 2017 25FC AC unit after this trip a try to determine if I can fit it in the electrics hole. Thanks again.
That's odd about the link not working. Someone else reported that in another thread, but did mention that it worked from their PC, but not their mobile device. I just logged into this thread with my iPhone and the link did work for me there too, so who knows. Anyway, the full link path is below, so you can at least see the thread name if you have to brute force your way there to see the report I mentioned:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/can-generators-run-both-acs-while-boondocking-162365-3.html#post1915451

Regarding your dimensions question, both EasyStart 364 enclosures are spelled out in the post you quoted from me, 3 replies up from here. The newer unit is listed as the IP65 model in the post you quoted, and the dimensions are right below that.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #40
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Thumbs up Micro-Air Launches new Website with EasyStart Price Reduction!

Hi again everyone.

I just want you to know that our new website with an integrated webstore is now live. There are some testimonials now on the EasyStart pages of the website, along with review buttons. Some of you who kindly gave us your permission may find yourselves there .

Along with this, we have introduced a new variant of the EasyStart 364, specifically meant for 115V RV applications. It has part number ASY-364-X20-IP. We've reduced its price to $299. The AIRSTREAM coupon is still in effect, and it has been reduced to $40. That results in about a $9 savings from what we had before (-X36-IP model and previous coupon), which leaves you almost enough to pay for the optional KIT-364-RT1 Installation Kit...if you even need it.

Thank you again for everyone's support. Please let me know if you have any further questions.