Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Exceeded Expectations

I had some custom work as well as warranty work done by a dealer and the result exceeded my expectations for technical ability, professionalism and quality. I'll post some pics. I wanted docking and back up lights on the sides and rear of my trailer so that when I have the running lights on and in reverse it lights the perimeter so I can back up or hook up (they can stay on in park as well). David Tidmore (sales/service mgr at Roger Williams Airstream, Weatherford TX) fabricated alumn. housings for the light and mounted two on each side inset in the belly pan and two on the back storage door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	docking light 2 (Small).JPG
Views:	164
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	13912   Click image for larger version

Name:	back up lights (Small).JPG
Views:	207
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	13913  

Name:	back up light inner (Small).JPG
Views:	163
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	13914   Click image for larger version

Name:	docking light (Small).JPG
Views:	160
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	13915  

Name:	docking light mounts (Small).JPG
Views:	177
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	13916  

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Way Cool!!

That is spiffy!! I was always envious of the motohomes with docking lights...

Let us know how well they work at night, if the spread of the light is good.

I hate to think about how much the fabrication cost...

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

They also installed (hardwired) my Autoformer to keep voltage/amps steady when park power declines, installed a surge protector, installed disc brakes & the actuator inside, and ran the monitoring lights for the devices, including a reset for the brake actuator to my fuse panel. They also install addition lights on the propane cover for lighting the hitch area, and installed two SilenX fans in the refrig vent (see switch) to help the fridge. Also had them install a 12 volt outlet on both sides, including by the dump station so I can plug in my macerator.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12 volt macerator (Small).JPG
Views:	195
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	13926   Click image for larger version

Name:	power (Small).JPG
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	13927  

Name:	fuse center (Small).JPG
Views:	190
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	13928  

Old 08-10-2005, 07:11 PM   #4
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet Why not ?

Hey - Tin Hut,

That is some real quality work! Looks great.

Why not post a comment on this site: Service reviews

Could assist another ...
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

hitch lights

Here's a pic of the hitch lights on the propane cover. Bottom line, I would HIGHLY recommend Roger Williams for service and new units. David Tidmore is the most responsive, quality oriented professional I've dealt with. While doing these mods he also rewired (correctly) my stereo and TV system and found/fixed other warranty issues. Top notch operation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hitch lights (Small).JPG
Views:	170
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	13929  

Old 08-10-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Very Impressed!

Tin Hut - The mods look awesome! Very high quality work.

Nice to see work from someone who really cares about what they are doing.

Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:12 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
more kudos to David

Looks great, TinHut. David told us about this when we were down there in the spring. It really came out well.

We had a delightful little experience while in Texas with our Argosy falling off the tow vehicle... no, it wasn't too pretty, yes it was a bit too dramatic, and no, it wasn't too bad. David really took care of us, and the front of our little blue egg now looks newer than the rest of her.

I'm hoping I can give David some money by buying a CCD from him sometime soon. He spent a lot of time with us, and was really top notch.
MrSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #8
Craftsman

Excellent fabrication and installation. It's rare to find people to do that level of work.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
I was in Roger Williams shop for a little work on my 30' Classic and got to see most of the fabrications and mods to your unit. Really cool ideas and great work by David and Denver! I got some ideas for mods to my unit that I could perform myself. I liked the reflector tape on the rear bumper and the tire pressure monitoring system which I promptly purchased and installed on my trailer. The disc brakes, now standard on the newer Classics are a wonderful upgrade. The tire balancing units are something I'm now considering adding to my trailer. How is the undertrailer light display looking at night?
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:11 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Wink

Hello Hut,

Holy Rogozinski.Hutman!!!.. are you stylin or what?
How long did they have the Hut? and BTW what became of Hut-one the original "cheeseburger in paradise"?

You might tell the unknowing exactly where Weatherford Tx. is. How did you become aware of this dealer? I had never even heard of them til now.
I see those Tin Hut personal plates on the Hut...nice touch too. I didnot know Texas sold the personals for anything other than reg auto/truck registrations.

Was that surround that you picture being held, actually customized for your trailer or is that a part that is available from stock somewhere? I know there are lots of fine items available in the commercial trucktrailer van (as in 18 wheelers) specialty manufacturing industry.
Gee with all that aluminum bending, cutting and it appears a bit of welding, the price of just two of them would be sky high, prohibitive, and astronmoical. Not to mention expensive.. .
But if they were custom made just for you, did the RV dealer do it in house or sub it to a sheet metal house?
Oh and is there anyway you can flip those landing lights on if you are dis-hitched from the TowV-hik? Never know when you might want to do some Masceratin' at Midnight..

Your Friend
Flicka
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

mods

The previous poster asked about the under trailer lights. I had underbody LED lights installed under the trailer and wheel wells that are remote controlled & can fade in and out thousands of colors. I think an eerie blue glow under an Airstream at night is kinda cool.

The docking lights are the same ones used on the Airstream Motor Homes. The alumn fabricated housings were done by a shop a block down from the dealer & they have a laser cutter & welder. David Tidmore had more housings made and now that the template is made start up costs will be much less.

Something else he installed was a small white pin point LED light in the bathroom. It draws almost no current yet at night puts out just enough light over the throne that you don't need to turn on the bathroom light & wake everyone up.
He also finally got my outside speakers working like they should after being wired incorrectly by AS. Weatherford Texas is just west of Ft. Worth & I'd recommend Roger Williams AS and David Tidmore for new units or service. He suffered alot a few years ago when he bought a new AS and had numerous issues so his motivation is to make sure new owners don't have to deal with the problems he had. He searches out and fixes the issues before they're put on the lot. They are also a Kodiak Disk Brake, Centramatic Balancers, Pressure Pro Monitor and Hensley Hitch dealer now.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:40 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
I'll chime in too...

We had David do some panel replacements, add disk brakes, a/c, new a/c power panel and add the centramatics. Everything was done right and the service was very personalized. I think Roger Williams has all the ingredients to become the nation's leading Airstream sales/service shop. David's knowledge of Airstream trailers is impressive and with his engineering expertise and attention to fine detail, you could not get this type of service from the Airstream factory.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
We had David do some panel replacements, add disk brakes, a/c, new a/c power panel and add the centramatics. Everything was done right and the service was very personalized. I think Roger Williams has all the ingredients to become the nation's leading Airstream sales/service shop. David's knowledge of Airstream trailers is impressive and with his engineering expertise and attention to fine detail, you could not get this type of service from the Airstream factory.
Paul, I saw your unit while it was in David's shop. You should post pics, it looked great. I like how you combined the vintage with technology.

Here's a pic of the new switch panels David installed for me. They're all labeled and I have more control options now as well. Another thing he did that seems small but was always an irritant was to install a small led next to the main on/off light switch in the bathroom. Since this switch was located next to the water heater on/off switch people (me) would sometimes hit the wrong switch and turn off the water heater. Now I "go to the light" and hit the right switch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	switches (Small).JPG
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	13959  

Old 08-11-2005, 11:27 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Impressive

This is impressive. Can you please post their name and phone number as I am looking for my first Airstream ... the dealer seems to make the difference.

Thanks,
Iver
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iver
This is impressive. Can you please post their name and phone number as I am looking for my first Airstream ... the dealer seems to make the difference.

Thanks,
Iver
http://www.rogerwilliams.com/

Here's the link. They are also a Dodge Dealership as well as Airsteam. He's got a good inventory from what I saw including motorhomes. Ask for David Tidmore.

Old 08-11-2005, 02:25 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Thanks Jim - I was in the shop visiting several times while they were working on yours and I was really impressed by the electronics package he designed for your rig (along with the "Roswell Edition" sticker). Don't those disk brakes get you into the 21st century! You have the ultimate CCD, Ann and I love it.

I love the vintage trailers but I like the modern technology. After having all the original stuff on the Overlander I decided that I wanted modern goodies and after seeing yours and what David can do, I plan to go nuts with the next one.

By the way - we missed you at the VAC rally, Bill and Candy Fisher from Colleyville was there with their 28 CCD - it would have been cool to see them together.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:52 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
http://www.rogerwilliams.com/

Here's the link. They are also a Dodge Dealership as well as Airsteam. He's got a good inventory from what I saw including motorhomes. Ask for David Tidmore.
Tench Hut, Tin Hut!! Thanks for the info. We have already talked and I am working on talking 'texn' so we can talk turkey. I will be asking for the 'Tin-Hut' version of an Airstream. You may be drawing the wrong kind of visitors with those colored lights below your trailer ... the kind that go to the chicken ranch in NV. HA!

Regards, Iver
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iver
Tench Hut, Tin Hut!! Thanks for the info. We have already talked and I am working on talking 'texn' so we can talk turkey. I will be asking for the 'Tin-Hut' version of an Airstream. You may be drawing the wrong kind of visitors with those colored lights below your trailer ... the kind that go to the chicken ranch in NV. HA!

Regards, Iver
Technically, the Chicken Ranch is/was in LaGrange Texas. The ranch you're thinking of in Nevada is the Mustang Ranch.

If David is setting you up with a trailer you're in good hands.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
The ranch you're thinking of in Nevada is the Mustang Ranch
How'd you know??

It's just the same to us layman ... (Oops, no pun intended)

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 06:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

exceeded

Here's a pic of the front couch. Also, I had the dealer paint my Hensley with the Airstream underbelly color. Although the orange Hensley matched the interior of the trailer, I didn't like it on the outside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0943 (Small).JPG
Views:	170
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	14083   Click image for larger version

Name:	hensley (Small).JPG
Views:	157
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	14084