Old 03-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
1967 17' Caravel
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Eddie Bauer/FirstAscent Winter Tour in a Pan America

Timeless Travel Trailers in Denver turned out this customized Airstream Pan America toy hauler for the Eddie Bauer Company's launch of their new FirstAscent outdoor gear line. The Pan America has been on the road since early December including some VERY cold nights while touring North America's ski areas and mountainous backcountry. A photo of it being towed up a ski slope by a snow cat at Colorado's Beaver Creek resort is on the back cover of the spring issue of Airstream Life magazine.

One key to winter use is to minimize humidity in the interior of the trailer. Cooking of food, burning propane for cooking, bathing, tracking in snow and even breathing all produce humidity inside the trailer. (A single human gives off about 2 litres of water during a night's sleep.) All of this water travels through the seams of the inner liner skin and fiberglass insulation and then condenses on the inside of the outer skin. This condensation will, in short order, soak the insulation blanket rendering it useless and potentially facilitating the growth of mold and mildew as well as future deterioration of the plywood floor. To overcome the humidity probelm, Timeless installed a Frigidaire dehumidifier in the living area of the Pan America.

The trailer was also outfitted with 12vdc/120vac heat pads on all of the water and waste tanks and under-floor plumbing. The pads are powered by the tow vehicle when on the road and by shore, solar, or generator power when parked.

Brett Hall
Wheat Ridge (Denver) Colorado
Brett - TTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Brett......NICE WORK!!

Your explanation of the condensation and how you overcame it is very interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
After having agreed to spend last summer in St Louis, as soon as I came to my senses,
I realized that perhaps I could mitigate the torture somewhat with a dehumidifier. Well, I tried the smallest Frigidaire model, and I've got to tell you, it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. The amount of moisture it extracts from the air in here is freeking unbelieveable.....summer AND winter. Down side is that it does take up some valuable floor space.....but WORTH IT! (Let 'em step around it). I can't live without it now.

(My BEST ever purchase though, has to be getting the wife an iphone.....she started staring into it 2 months ago at the Apple Store, and hasn't looked up since's great! I no longer have to "communicate", or even act like I'm paying attention.......
fmrcaptevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Thanks for posting - that was a cool tour
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Does this trailer have any special insulation or dual-pane windows? In addition to the tank heater pads, what else was done to make it functional for the type of weather it's used in?

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
IPhone advice

Yeh man! traveled the Oregon Ocean Route and wifey did not look once. She talked to fictional clients, "Wanta buy a boat?"Last summer in the Maritimes she ran up a $1500 roaming bill talking to the russian builder giving free advice!! She then had to sell her fancy purses at consignment stores!
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
1967 17' Caravel
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
The coach was a stock Pan America with the standard fiberglass insulation blanket. In order to keep the insulation performing at its peak we installed a dehumidifier in the forward end. This unit keeps the moisture from cooking, showering, melting snow and human respiration from condensing on the inside of the outer skin and saturating the fiberglass.

The trailer is now on its summer tour developing and promoting the First Ascent product line in water sports, technical rock climbing, trekking and other warm weather activities.

Brett Hall
Wheat Ridge (Denver) Colorado
Brett - TTT is offline   Reply With Quote

custom airstream, timeless, timeless travel trailers, video, winter living