Old 06-11-2004, 07:05 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Can-Am RV Experience??

Anyone out there have experience dealing with Can-Am? I've been calling all week and can't get anyone that will talk to me without taking a message, then I never get called back. I've been calling since Monday.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:16 AM   #2
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I have not had a similar experience. I have always found them to be most helpful and prompt to attend to my needs. Maybe it was because it took me 5 years to decided to buy my Airstream and I drove them nuts!

What area are you trying to reach - sales, services, parts? I can probably give you specific names for each area that have helped me.

Malcolm

Old 06-12-2004, 06:23 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I currently do not own an Airstream
LASALLE
Can Am R V

They installed an air conditoning system fo me on my previous trailer(1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0). We travelled up from Windsor and they scheduled it to be done that same day. Everyone there was very courtious and they completed the installation promptly. It must be because its the busy season.
JOHN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:14 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
oh yeah, poor experience here too!

I had been trying unsucessfully to order parts for several months...I am in ontario, and pretty much the only place to get airstream parts is at CanAm...

Steve in parts will not return calls...ever, it seems. He has been "on another line, not available, busy, on lunch" etc...for months. All I wanted was to order some trim for the bathroom, and inquire about a fan shroud. Finally spoke to Andy in service, (when I had hitch questions, someone would actually talk to me, after I was hung up on "accidentally" once.....) who ordered the trim, and told me that the fan shroud has been unavailable for about a decade........

I guess that the ppl at CanAm want to deal with customers that have new 'streams or want to buy new, not those of us with well-loved models....so sad, really, when all I wanted to do was spend money there!!!

Wolf
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:25 PM   #5
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Angry

Well maybe I am going to change my tune from my previous posting.

Took my Safari to CanAm on the 12th of June for a number of little things that I discovered weren't working at the Spring Rally (e.g. fantastic fans were stuck in the down position - and I mean stuck, like glued; converter wasn't charging batteries - had a technician from CanAm at the rally confirm this and the frig wasn't working. Finally had a couple of small dents and two clearance lights to be replaced).

When I called last week to see what the progress was - they hadn't done anything, as they said they had promised me the trailer for the 30th, but they said they would try and get it in earlier. On the 30th they called and basically said nothing was wrong, the fans work, the battery charger charges, the frig works - made it sound like it was an incompetent owner! The real rub though was that they couldn't replace one of the clearance lights because they didn't have one in stock - they had the trailer for over 2 weeks how long does it take to order one? Oh and the dents, well they couldn't look at them now, but next time I bring it in they will take care of them for me (suction them out). Well guess what - there isn't going to be a next time!!

If anyone knows of the name of the other Airstream place in London, let me know. I think the fellows who run it used to work for CanAm.

One disgruntled CanAm customer.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:40 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca

Took my Safari to CanAm on the 12th of June for a number of little things that I discovered weren't working at the Spring Rally (e.g. fantastic fans were stuck in the down position - and I mean stuck, like glued;
I'm assuming that the power lift didn't raise the lids? It starts to run but you notice the motor starts to labor then shuts down?

If so, I've seen this on both my Safari and Classic when the fans are not run for a while. I'm not quite sure if its a seal that tends to grab on to the lids but the load on the motor is also its sensor when the lid is fully down. The fan sensing the load thinks its in a shut down mode and the lifting mechnisim powers down.

When I start the fans for the first time after a non use period, I pull the knob into its manual position and hand crank the lid to pop the lid off the seal. Once I do that the first time, the lids are fine the rest of the trip. A minor annoyance, possibly addressed by some silicone lube around the seal. I haven't tried that myself since it doesn't bother me to do the manual thing the first time out.

Hope this helps.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
possibly addressed by some silicone lube around the seal.
Silicone or 303 helps a lot. Mine don't hang but pop if they sit for awhile like the gasket has stuck to the plastic.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:30 PM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
In all fairness to repair shops ...

scheduling and communication is everything!

Scheduling is an art. During this time of year no one wants their unit in the shop. So tming can be everything. And the person taking in the work has to estimate how much time it's going to take to repair the items. Then figure how much time is available and guess as to it's completion. I don't care if the time period is a day a week or a month.

So if you bring in your unit in the beginning of that time period and all of the time in the begininng is filled with other jobs. Then your unit sits. Then when it's looked at the real work begins. If the real work fits in the estimated time frame (or less) everyone is happy. If not, well the guy taking in the work guessed as best as he could. And some are better at guessing how long a job will take than others.

Then if nothing is found wrong......that's a communication issue. I would always recommend that concerns be shown to someone at the repair shop. Even if that someone is in the showroom selling units. Hopefully that would be their original salesperson. That way someone can explain to the tech what is the concern. And it may be normal. (I do not like using that word)

Don't misunderstand me either. I am not saying you don't have an issue with CanAm. They may be the worst dealer anywhere. And I am suggesting with a little effort on both sides you might get what you want.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-07-2004, 09:15 PM   #9

1993 airstream classic 34ft trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca

Took my Safari to CanAm on the 12th of June for a number of little things that I discovered weren't working at the Spring Rally (e.g. fantastic fans were stuck in the down position - and I mean stuck, like glued; converter wasn't charging batteries - had a technician from CanAm at the rally confirm this and the frig wasn't working. Finally had a couple of small dents and two clearance lights to be replaced).

When I called last week to see what the progress was - they hadn't done anything, as they said they had promised me the trailer for the 30th, but they said they would try and get it in earlier. On the 30th they called and basically said nothing was wrong, the fans work, the battery charger charges, the frig works - made it sound like it was an incompetent owner! The real rub though was that they couldn't replace one of the clearance lights because they didn't have one in stock - they had the trailer for over 2 weeks how long does it take to order one? Oh and the dents, well they couldn't look at them now, but next time I bring it in they will take care of them for me (suction them out). Well guess what - there isn't going to be a next time!!

If anyone knows of the name of the other Airstream place in London, let me know. I think the fellows who run it used to work for CanAm.

One disgruntled CanAm customer.
Hi, I have a 1993 airstream classic trailer which suffered extensive damage to the front end, I took a schematic of the parts needed to do the repair from Bob Caldwell airstream dealer, to Can-am , too see if they could get me the necessary parts.
I was very disappointed they wouldn't help me out , how much It would cost to get these parts . It almost like they didn't know how to order a complete front end. I Emailed them with no response no co-operation at all ! It"s like they they won't allow even a qualified mechanic / bodyman to do the repairs to his my own trailer.

I have nothing but goooooood things too say about the expertise from the parts department from Bob caldwell chrysler and airstream.
They were very courtious and professional. The type of people I deal with in my trade! They not only identified the parts I needed but quickly gave me the prices to get my job done!

VVVVVery disappointed with Can_am Rv ,They wont get my business again I'll get my parts from Boob Caldwell in the united -states .anytime!!!!!
bthayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:16 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs down I guess I have to join the group

I initially looked at Trail Manors due to their low weight, but decided that the cost in Cdn dollars was close to what a used Airstream would cost.

Earlier this year, after visiting the Can-Am website and reading about their thoughts on towing, I sent two E Mails through their link asking for information. Neither was answered.

In late June I visited the dealership while visiting in the area. After looking at a couple of used Airstreams, I told the Sales Rep I would E Mail him with some questions. I did that on July 7th. When I did not get an immediate reply, I assumed he was on vacation. Four weeks later, with still no reply I called ( Friday) and talked to the rep. He said he did not rece9ive my initial E Mail, but and suggested I try it again . He took my phone number and said he would call if he did not receive it by Tuesday. That was two weeks ago today and I still am waiting. I might mention, that none of my four E Mails was returned as undelivered.

I must also admit that this lack of response was in direct contrast to the attention I received while visiting. At that time, I was shown several options from SOB trailers and Airstreams. THe Sales Rep took all the time I needed to answer questions and offered to take me on a trial run using one of their demostrator combinations if I returned on the Monday (this was late Saturday). I did that and again was well received.

The diffence in attention is somewhat puzzling. Perhaps you have to be in their face to get Can-Am's attention!

I am now back where I started. My options seem to be a Trail Manor with the nearest dealer 250 miles away, but who has answered every E Mail immediately, an SOB from a local dealer, of which there are many competing for my business, or a disinterested Airstream dealer who is over 500 miles from home.

Hotels are starting to look better and better.

Good luck, and happy camping!

John
armistjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:10 AM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Caution

Quote:
I am now back where I started. My options seem to be a Trail Manor with the nearest dealer 250 miles away, but who has answered every E Mail immediately, an SOB from a local dealer, of which there are many competing for my business, or a disinterested Airstream dealer who is over 500 miles from home.
As an ex TrailManor owner, think carefully. Mine was falling apart by the time the warrenty ran out. By three years, it wa a chore just keeping it all together. I wasn't alone in my troubles, when I visited the factory, there were others there with the same problems.

The TrailManor has a lot of pressed sawdust parts and everything is stapled together. Drawers are plastic with no decent guides. The lifting mechanism has no bushings and was tearing out of the walls. I could go on for quite a while.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 07:11 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Unhappy Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
As an ex TrailManor owner, think carefully. Mine was falling apart by the time the warrenty ran out. By three years, it wa a chore just keeping it all together. I wasn't alone in my troubles, when I visited the factory, there were others there with the same problems.

The TrailManor has a lot of pressed sawdust parts and everything is stapled together. Drawers are plastic with no decent guides. The lifting mechanism has no bushings and was tearing out of the walls. I could go on for quite a while.
John:

Thanks for the tip.

The current TM information says they do not use any particle board but that might be questionable. I did notice the plastic drawer glides and obviously that is not ideal but I guess something has to give to keep the weight down. I noticed several other qualities that are sacrificed for the design and weight advantages, as you well know.

I still prefer the Airstream but as I mention, my options are not the greatest. A new dealer opened quite close by, but because he is so new to AS, he does not have any used units and new ones are out of reach financially. Eg; he wants about $70k Cdn for a 25' Safari, $46K for a 19' Bambi.

Perhaps next year he will have some used units. I may have to wait until then for them and to change my TV.

John
Old 08-21-2004, 08:27 AM   #13
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Not particle board

Quote:
The current TM information says they do not use any particle board but that might be questionable.
I wasn't referring to particle board. All of the moldings around cabinet bottoms are pressed sawdust. The strips that hold the flaps that seal top and bottom when raised are pressed sawdust. All of these were breaking an d falling apart after a short while.

Also, the plastic angle material on top of the inner walls continually cracked. I replaced much of it with aluminum angle.

Also, the recirculating toilet tends to stink. I detested it after a while. I think TM is about the only manufacturer that uses this toilet in the US as it is normally a European product.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 06:43 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs down Not Much Changes

I sent Can-Am another E-Mail a week ago Friday, this one directly to Andy Thompson and still have no reply. Since I didn't get a "not Delivered" or "away" message, I have to assume it got through. This is the sixth message since June to various people at Can-Am, all with no reply.

I have to assume that they read these postings and since there is no change in their attitude, they just don't give a _ _ _ _.

John