Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #141
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Pat,

The beginning of the video shows a rack already installed on a 2012 Flying Cloud. I assume the rear storage door will still open just clearing the rack. Can you confirm?

Barry
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #142
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
Pat,

The beginning of the video shows a rack already installed on a 2012 Flying Cloud. I assume the rear storage door will still open just clearing the rack. Can you confirm?

Barry
Yes it clears the bike rack.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #143
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Blowing Rock , North Carolina
Bike Carrier: What about recumbents?

The video on installing the bike carrier was very informative. However, I wasn't able to determine if the "V" channels in which the bike wheels fit will extend. I have recumbent bikes with wheelbases that are 72 inches. Clearly the Airstream is wide enough, but unless the "V" channels extend, or could be modified, most recumbent bikes would not fit. Weight is not an issue, as the bikes weigh in at less than 35 pounds each.
Jimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Recumbent bikes

We have Bachetta Giro recumbents with a 47" wheelbase and have used a Fiamma rack on our VW camper. That was close to the limit those V-channels would support in length, but traveled all over the country without any problem. The channels are not extendable as supplied.

Wow. Your bikes with a 72" wheelbase must be nearly eight feet overall. That much length must be hard to carry on the back of any vehicle. As you know, the recumbents are a pleasure to ride, especially on long distances. Perhaps a call directly to Fiamma can get you a pair of longer V-channels?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #145
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
Another DIY Complete

I installed the Fiamma rack myself instead of taking it to Camping World, and am very happy I did. See attached photos for the finished job. It was much easier having the YouTube installation video as a guide.

It was a little tricky mounting the bracket to the right hand side of the bumper because the lid mechanism on that side makes getting to the nuts tricky. A 1/4 inch ratchet inside the bumper just barely got me access to the rear-most nut. Also, I did have to use a file to shave off some of the bumper lid material in order to clear the carriage bolt heads when closing the lid. Everything else was pretty straight forward.

I would encourage anyone on the fence about a DIY install of this rack to give it a go if you aren't afraid to use basic tools and you have the patience to take your time.

Now all we need is some warm(er) weather so we can get out there and use it!

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	with bikes.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	150290   Click image for larger version

Name:	stowed.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	150291  

Click image for larger version

Name:	deployed.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	150292  
blurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiammausa View Post
Fiamma SpA - Products

Here is a link I believe it's page 4
FIAMMAUSA;

Is the light bar available in the USA?

Thanks,
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #147
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Orlando , Florida
Yes, however it is a special order part.
Fiammausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurb View Post
It was a little tricky mounting the bracket to the right hand side of the bumper because the lid mechanism on that side makes getting to the nuts tricky. A 1/4 inch ratchet inside the bumper just barely got me access to the rear-most nut.
Just watched the video and it looks like those nuts should be on the outside, making them easier to get to. Not that it makes any difference now that you're done.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #149
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Just watched the video and it looks like those nuts should be on the outside, making them easier to get to. Not that it makes any difference now that you're done.
Good point. I did notice that on the video and was a little torn on which way to do it. The product photo on the Airstream.com site shows it with nuts on the inside and the video showed it with nuts on the outside. I guess I did it the hard way, but I do like the clean look.
blurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #150
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Blowing Rock , North Carolina
Recumbants

Thanks D Kottum. after reading your response I re-measured. The wheelbase is 66 inches...not 72. One bike is Tour Easy and the other is EZ-1, both from same company and about the same wheelbase. The 72 inches came from current mount where the tire comes in contact with tow vehicle requiring 72 inches for the "V" channel.

I have a "Flip Back" tonneau cover with rack system installed in my 2010 Toyota Tundra Crew Max. We carry two 14 foot kayaks on the rack above and I have installed two 72 inch rails in the same grooves the uprights slide into. The racks are attached to the uprights. It is a pretty neat system. My only problem is that I must remove seats from bikes to make this work well. Next time I have kayaks loaded on TV I will put a bike up there and send in a picture.

I carried two regular bikes on back of Airstream this summer till I subscribed to this Forum and learned that it was a "no-no." I have since wondered why the original dealer installed the receiver hitch in the first place...what else would one use it for?

The new rack would have been nice to have for someone not having the ability to put everything on the TV.
Jimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #151
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiammausa View Post
Yes, however it is a special order part.
Fiammusa: special order from who?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #152
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1

Fiammusa: special order from who?

Thanks
They are manufactured in Italy.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #153
Rivet Master

Sorry, not clear with my question: who would I place a special order with for the light and license bar?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #154
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1
Sorry, not clear with my question: who would I place a special order with for the light and license bar?
Sales@fiammausa.com
Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Nice engineering on this product! One consideration ... unless I missed it -that has not been posed in the 150+ posts ... concerns the migration of road silt / grit into the various exposed parts of the bicycle ... such as chain, chainrings, rear gear cluster, brakes / cable housings, seat post tube, and possibly the bottom bracket. I know that around here the least desirable place to carry skis is on the rear of the vehicle for just the same concern... so, car or truck boxes / beds, tops, and fronts are preferred. The rear of most vehicles traveling down the road has a low pressure bubble that seems to draw all manner of road silt and crud onto the back side of the vehicle ... look at the rear end of your TV or AS - especially after a rain or winter driving. Any oiled surface exposed to these elements is a dirt/dust magnet.

Our own bicycles cost much more than our skis and I would suggest that a TV bicycle carrier of any sort - providing you have access without physical limitations -would be much preferable to the rear of the AS (or rear of the TV as a last resort when not connected to AS) . Rear AS mount wins the convenience vote, but to clean the bicycle areas of concern mentioned above before every bike ride seems time consuming and counter productive to the AS experience. Of course, if you are mostly parked or don't ride a great deal and have never needed to replace chain, chain rings, brakes, etc. this point may be moot. Some folks don't even clean and oil their chain regularly!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #156
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
I agree mefly 2. Our tandem is worth more than most people's cars. A couple of our singles too. So they are safe inside our truck bed with topper.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #157
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2
Some folks don't even clean and oil their chain regularly!
You are right, some people just buy a new chain each year.

Question: my bikes are all carbon fiber models and the frame shouldn't touch the bike rack when traveling. Does the new AS bike rack attach to the bike frame, or just the wheels?
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
When the chain is not cleaned / lubed regularly, you will see "eccentric or ovaled" wear on the light weight alloy chainrings of even modestly priced bikes. Then you will notice hard shifting and derailer issues surface. The really inexpensive bikes usually have steel chain rings.

Although it looks like the AS rack has a tray supporting your tires/wheels, your CF frame / top bar / seat-post or handle bars will have to touch somewhere ... plan for and additionally pad / tape accordingly ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #159
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
The frame widths have been specified and it appears that even vintage Airstream frames comply.

However, the distance between the vertical rivot lines is not specified. On my 1963 the vertical rivot lines are 44" apart. Will the upper supports work with this spacing.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #160
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Orlando , Florida
Fiamma rack is designed to attach at 2 different locations. The upper body of of the bike is attached by a "bike block" which attaches to the frame of the bike. The lower section of the bike sits in our "bike-rail" which is attached with two adjustable straps to fit any tire size.

Many speak before they know the facts?

Sales@fiammausa.com

My name is Adam and I can answer most questions before others assume the answer for you.

Regards,

Adam Farnum
Fiamma Inc. USA

Also we designed the bike rack to fit as many units as possible. It is adjustable to the most common frame sizes manufactured within the past 10+ years. If you really want a quality bike rack that you can trust this is it, several hundred customers have all ready decided?