Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2004, 07:52 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Question Best place for A.S. repairs in Chicago/IL.

We're looking to get some work done on our A.S.- tires , awning , electrical, etc...any reccomendation for where to go or should we go with an A.S. dealer?
Chitown AirStreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:16 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
One things for sure, not the Airstream dealer in Gilman.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:20 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

AS Repairs

You might try Jackson Center in OHIO. Your close enough and they are the AS Mfg.
WBCCI 14536
dbaverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:11 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That's true...from our door to Jackson Center, OH was about 300 miles....and you live right down the street from us.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:58 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Repairs

Actually I have made an appointment to be there the week of July 12. I plan to be at the WBCCI Int'l Rally attend a class reunion in Indiana then go to Jackson Center for my repairs. I am just down the street, right?...
WBCCI 14536
dbaverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:52 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown AirStreamers
We're looking to get some work done on our A.S.- tires , awning , electrical, etc...any reccomendation for where to go or should we go with an A.S. dealer?
Since you're in the Chicago area, have your awning work done at the Zip Dee factory in Elk Grove Village. This will save you a bundle, and they are great people, proud of their product. You can make an appointment by calling
1-800-338-BEST (2378)
Visit the website: http://zipdeeinc.com/
When we needed some emergency work done, the factory sent us just down the street to a SOB dealer..... we were satisfied.

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 05-02-2004, 04:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Best place for A.S. repairs in Chicago/IL.

Greetings Chitown AirStreamers!

Quote:
For a Vintage Friendly dealer, my experience indicates that the nearest is likely Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa. I have taken both my Argosy and Overlander there for repairs since shortly after I began Airstreaming in 1995. They have performed repairs from the basics (bearing repacks and brake inspections); to systems repairs (new Air Conditioner intalls, new refrigerator for Overlander, new water heaters both coaches, new Univolt for Argosy, new water pumps both coaches, new furnace for Overlander, new amplified TV Antennas both coaches, new Zip Dee Awnings for Overlander, recertified propane tanks for Argosy, new water tank for Overlander, new water fill for Argosy); to more major repairs (rear end seaparation on Airstream, new axle for Minuet, panel repair on Airstream, holding tank repairs on both coaches, outrigger repairs on Airstream, door alignment repairs on both coaches, floor repairs on Airstream). Every repairs has been to my absolute satisfaction, and my plan is to continue taking my coaches to them for maintenance even after moving nearly 400 miles further South to Union County, Illinois.

You are probably looking at something approaching a five to six hour tow from the Chicago area to Cedar Falls - - it is three hours (give or take a little) from my current home in the Quad Cities. Ace Fogdall is just a short distance from US 20 on College Avenue - - they will only be a VERY short distance from the US 20 exit for the Cedar Falls Industrial and Business Park once their new facility is complete. You can find Ace Fogdall RV on the Web as well. They also have a toll-free number 1-800-747-0747 - - it is wise to call ahead for an appointment - - especially if you want to wait on repairs as I often have done - - while the service department isn't usually open on Saturdays, I have always been able to arrange to drop my trailers off as well as pick them up on Saturdays as the showroom and accessories store are both open Saturday mornings.

Good luck with your repairs!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 05:31 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I didn't think ZipDee did on site repairs. If they do, that's awesome as they are about 10 miles from our house.

I too thought of Ace Fogdall, but if you are going to travel 5 hours, might as well go straight to the source as any parts would have to be shipped to Iowa...and since it's roughly the same distance as Jackson Center to us.......

Eric
Old 05-02-2004, 05:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Best place for A.S. repairs in Chicago/IL

Greetings Eric!

Quote:
I too thought of Ace Fogdall, but if you are going to travel 5 hours, might as well go straight to the source as any parts would have to be shipped to Iowa...and since it's roughly the same distance as Jackson Center to us.......
For recent model coaches, I agree entirely, the only issue that I have encountered regarding Vintage Coaches is that the factory usually wants to put-off projects involving the Vintage Coaches to the off-season time; Ace Fogdall is an option at all times, but it can take a little time to get an appointment during the summer travel season.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:10 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I didn't think ZipDee did on site repairs. If they do, that's awesome as they are about 10 miles from our house.

Eric
Yup, they do on-site repairs right there in Elk Grove Village. In fact, when we went in, they parked us free overnight, provided electricity, and water. Once the repairs were done, and all the new awning installed, they gave us lessons on how to correctly deploy their product, how to use it, maintainance routine, all kinds of tips......
the biggest savings is on not havong to pay shipping, and their ability to repair rather than replace.

Elizabeth in Iowa