Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2005, 11:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Thumbs up Any experiences with dealers in Ohio, Indiana, or Michigan?

Our 18 month search for an RV has taken a 90 degree turn (hope it is a right turn) away from a class C to an Airstream TT (25' or 28' Safari probably)

Does anyone has any good or bad things to report about the Airstream dealers in Indiana (Berning Trailer Sales - Fort Wayne) , Ohio (Paul Sherry RV - Piqua, Craig Smith RV - Galion, or Caldwell Airstream - Columbus), or Michigan (Woodland Travel - Grand Rapids)?

Thanks for your input.
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Paul Sherry RV is pretty good. I shopped around and Sherry offered the lowest price and best trade. When we found an issue and didn't take delivery, they let us keep the Bambi we wanted to trade there on their property at no cost, dealt with the issue and then also at no cost to us, delivered our Safari to us 325 miles from the dealership.

I'd buy from them again in a heartbeat if the price was even in the ballpark and they were not the lowest for some unknown reason.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Both Silvertwinkie and I bought our TT's from Paul Sherry. Actually, It was Twink that recommended them to me...

They were real good people to deal with, and they are within a short drive to the factory if anything real unpleasant comes up. Their prices were very good. Talk with Jerry Penley. That was my sales guy.

And since you are in Ft. Wayne, it's not a real long ride...

Jonathan
Old 02-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
We also bought the behemoth from Paul Sherry. They did everything they said they would, and the deal was straight up. They kept the unit for us at no charge for well over a month until we could free up the driveway and then delivered it to our house at no charge. However, their attempted repairs on the quality issues we had with the trailer left a lot to be desired, and we just took it back to the factory, where it was done right, with us living in their "Terra-Port" (mini-campground) at night while they had it.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Check in with Woodland, they have been around a long time and keep a large inventory of new AS's. Berning does not. I have been to Berning and have had service done there and was not satisfied, and actually feel misled. Berning supposedly received the very first Airstream made in Ohio, but that was a long time ago and I think they are on their way out.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Craig Smith RV has good sales people but (stay as far away from thier service dept.) Canada would work.
There is also a new A/S dealer in Columbus Oh. that a friend of mine has said nothing bad about, but I can't remember their name.
Good luck on your quest!
J&D AS#2
JD85EXCELLA32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

We bought a 25' from Sherry last month. We've been satisfied with them so far but we haven't needed any service by them yet. Time will tell . . . They are close to Jackson Center so if they can't help us, we know where to go next!

Roadsub
2005 25' Safari SS SE LS
Ford 250 diesel
Two boys
One husband
Not enough time
Roadsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 12:59 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Alas, et tu brute, Paul Sherry. Did a decent job, and a pretty good price. We get service in Jackson Center, though, as it is only 20 minutes farther up the road.

Sent our sales weasel a relative, who bought a used class c tioga, and they have treated her OK.
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:51 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Woodland is great. They have very good service people, whether it is minor or $1000s of shell repair. I would recommend them in a heartbeat.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:39 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Lafayette , Indiana
I bought my Bambi from Twin City Airstream in Lafayette Indiana.
They're also the Twin City Dodge/Chrysler auto dealership.They
just started selling Airstreams this year and seemed to be really trying
to do things right.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Jerry et al -- Be aware that Canada has different electrical code requirements for RVs. I know on the 25' Safari that is a $488 list add-on. Don't know the particulars though. An inquiry would tell if they are even allowed to order US-specified RVs. But at least if you bought it from Can-Am you could tow it with a Caprice! Right Silvertwinkie??!! (old line -- Can-Am is famous for setting folks up to tow with small cars -- in which case I've got an AMC Gremlin with huge tow capacity to sell you....)

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
We ended up going with Craig Smith RV. The have only been a dealer for a short time, but they really have a nice operation. Very good price, great salesman, Matt Sisson, and we were very pleased with the delivery experience.

We are using Jackson Center for service, as they are about 40 miles closer to us than Craig Smith RV
AIR 7185
Old 07-14-2005, 08:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryLasal
I bought my Bambi from Twin City Airstream in Lafayette Indiana.
They're also the Twin City Dodge/Chrysler auto dealership.They
just started selling Airstreams this year and seemed to be really trying
to do things right.
Twin City Airstream became a dealer about a week after we had ordered our unit from Craig Smith RV . Had we known about them, we would have given them a chance at our business.
AIR 7185
Old 11-28-2005, 08:25 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
We bought ours at Woodlands in Grand Rapids and have absolutley no complaints with them. We were desparate to find another trailer and thought we'd be going back to Texas without one. They called and had one coming in that was more than what we expected them to find. They treated us very well in every respect.
Janssvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:30 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
Thumbs up Bernings Trailer Sales

I have nothing but good things to say about Bernings. Honest and very helpful.
have done business with them for years.
Bob
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Ohio A/s Dealer

Hello -

We bought a 28' International from the guys at Caldwell AS in Columbus and had a very good experience. The price was right and the service was excellent. Nick and Sid made sure that all of our questions were answered and that every detail of dealer prep was taken care of. They even replaced the dinette table three times before we took delivery for us until we were satisfied with it. See them at the Columbus RV show and if this year is the same as last, there is a bank in Columbus that does special RV show financing.

Good luck!

steve and susan
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote