Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #1
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
All New 2006 Safari 20'

Airstream has just released an new Safari Floor Plan. Colonial Airstream has just got their first one in.

I have taken 12 photos and wrote up the options and specifications. Take a look.

http://www.colonialairstream.com/newinventory/8026.html

Please let me know what you think.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:59 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Pretty cool. Reminds me of the 22ft International from a few years ago.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Sure looks like a good economy of space. It has it all in a small easily towed unit for smaller tow vehicles. I like all the counter space in the galley. I like the separate shower and enclosed sink, looks roomy enough. Turning the bed sideways really saves space.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Interesting floorplan. Not a fan of front bedrooms, but I have to say, I really like some of what they've done here. Seems like a hybrid of the 22' and 19', but without the wet bath and loss of under dinette space, but one less axle. I wonder if it's still the 19' length or if it's the same length as the 22.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Interesting floorplan. Not a fan of front bedrooms, but I have to say, I really like some of what they've done here. Seems like a hybrid of the 22' and 19', but without the wet bath and loss of under dinette space, but one less axle. I wonder if it's still the 19' length or if it's the same length as the 22.
The 19' Bambi is actually 19'2" and the 20' Safari is 20'10" so it is 20" longer.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Interesting. Technically a new coach from the ground up (frame and all).

Bet they have an new piece of tape on the wall fabrication jig for the 20' units now too.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I'm a big fan of the front wrap around windows, so I'd miss those. At least the vanity sink is the wider/larger one, and I do like the two-step entry.

One thing AS should consider is discontinuing the outside wall mounted patio light. Instead, use the above door patio light like the ones on the CCD.

Those produce a more pleasant "downward" light as opposed to a light that is sort of like a headlight, and depending on where you are sitting outside, you'd get it right in the 'ol eyes. It's also kinda fun to put color gels in the over door light for cool sci-fi effect.

I do see that the purpose of the side mounted light is suppose to illuminate the campsite better, but you can easily do that with a lantern of some sort and placed exactly where you want it.

Just my thoughts.

Jonathan
Old 03-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Looks like it's just the thing for couples or families with only one child who like the layout of the 22', need a longer full bed, or want to stay small for towing lighter and fitting into smaller spaces. But if you're four or more and need to stay small, I'm thinkin' it's probably still better to stick with the Bambi 19'.

Thanks for sharing it with us, Patrick.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
I'm a big fan of the front wrap around windows, so I'd miss those. At least the vanity sink is the wider/larger one, and I do like the two-step entry.

Jonathan
You trying to tell us something Jonathan....bedroom with front wrap around windows?

Hey, just a side note, I had single entry step unit replaced with the dual step found on the 2005 Safari/CCD/Bambi when I was at the factory last year.

I really felt the benefit of the two step at the Midwest Forum Rally last year. Site A08 slants toward the road at a pretty good grade, so getting the coach level forces you to lift the nose up. Having that two part entry step was great to have. We didn't need ropes to climb in. It cost about $250 installed and well worth every penny IMHO.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream to end production of motorhomes

Airstream annouced in a RV Business article yesteraday, March 1st, they will discontinue building gas-powered and diesel pusher motorhomes by the end of the year.
The long awaited "New Classic" aluminum motorhome will not be built at all.
Bob Wheeler stated, Airstream will concentrate on the Aluminum trailers, as well as the Mercedes-based Sprinter van conversions, Interstate, Parkway ,and Westfalias.
The Base Camp will in the end utilize the motorhome production line, and will gradually become a family of trailers of it own.
No employees will be laid off.
Airstream will continue to build the current line of motorhomes and will take orders for them up to mid-summer. The company will continue to support the motorhome line after the production has ceased.
Airstream is also consideriing developement of an entry level Airstream with the shiny aluminum sides, to be priced in the mid-to-high $30K's.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #11
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Eric.

It more SHOW than TELL. And with the body going to hell, it's better to just leave it up to the imagination.

When I called AS a year ago or so, they told me that that converting the single step on the Bambi to a two stepper would entale repositioning bolts and this and that. They basically thought just leave it andd love it until a Safari SE. By the time we get to that point, I figure you should have clocked in around 23-24 thousand posts.

Toodles.

Jonathan
Old 03-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
When I called AS a year ago or so, they told me that that converting the single step on the Bambi to a two stepper would entale repositioning bolts and this and that. They basically thought just leave it andd love it until a Safari SE. By the time we get to that point, I figure you should have clocked in around 23-24 thousand posts.
PM sent...and from the looks and the posts 'round here looks like it's gonna be 5k soon. Wonder who will win the bet?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Numero One: I note the floorplan is coming. Member Karyn, affiliated with the Spokane dealer, did post a mini floorplan here a couple weeks ago. I've always supported NeatAirstream (thank you Patrick) and Colonial's great display of new models on their well-maintained website. He first posted photos of the 25' FB SE -- right after I'd ordered mine -- a member from Colorado bought that one IIRC.

Numero Dos:
Quote:
You trying to tell us something Jonathan....bedroom with front wrap around windows?
Whaddya think Eric? Exhibitionist?? We like our FB with the wraparounds, but not worth the price of admission since we intentionally selected the twin beds. Yeah right....

Nombre Troi:
Quote:
PM sent...and from the looks and the posts 'round here looks like it's gonna be 5k soon. Wonder who will win the bet?
Hey Eric! One line posts don't count!! Everybody else -- please submit your vote -- see the link.

Jonathan -- It would be very interesting if Airstream continues spreading the Special Edition option to this model. With the rear shower I'd think the pano would have to be at the front. My 2nd (front) pano was a $1059 option last July -- but that's so "one year ago" . I'd hate to do without the entire SE package however... IMHO the top-opening windows is the 2nd very great part of the SE option!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

20 foot airstream

I was able to see a 20 foot at the florida state rally -
Bates had one there.
It is a really neat trailer, the kitchen is very nice and roomy and the bathroom is very functional. There is enough room to sit down on the potty and not knock the door with your knees (the only drawback of our 25 foot)
lots of counter space. Nice shower and sink in the bath.

The only thing is that the bed is really small, the two of us wouldn't fit - we would have to be one on the dinette and one on the bed for sleeping. The bed is cozy but fully wrapped around and smaller than the 54 inch wide we have in our 25 foot. that bed is enough togetherness for us.

But, having said that, I really loved this trailer. would have to watch what you put it in it weight wise if your tanks were full.

It would be an incredible trailer for one person.
Definitely a good additon to the product line, but would look even better with shiny insides like our special edition.
Barbara
05 25' Safari Special edition
red2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Same kitchen as our 22'...

...and we love the space we have with the kitchen. My mom commented that we've got more room in the kitchen than they do with their 30'er. But hey, they're Airstreams, it's all good- !

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:59 PM   #16
_

. , .
Quote:
I wonder if it's still the 19' length or if it's the same length as the 22.
hi all

that's neat for more great photos.......you da man....or woman!

talked with a regional rep at the rv show today....

i have wondered like eric and others....about these many models...and frame lenghts....

16, 19, 20, 22, 23, 25 are all on different frames....seems they are making so many safaris....that the frame lengths aren't costly.

for some of the small length changes they can add other features...like 2 batteries and bigger tanks on a 23.

one thing they cannot do is put the aluminum steps (from classics) on the safaris...since the frame brackets/bracing are different.

as colorado bus has posted...the factory changes.......

i'd just add....

they have not started making basecamp...

only 3 prototypes exist....

and final production changes are on going...

maybe april to start making them....

and either in the moho space (main building) or across the street in the "sprinter building"

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
hmmmm...

Am I the only one that noticed that the actual 20ft'r differs considerably from the floorplan shown in that other thread by the Spokane dealer? For example, the bath is not wet, as shown, nor is the bed axis going from front to back - it appears to be sideways in photos from Colonial. Are there two different 20ft'rs?

Just wondering?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:00 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Go to the factory site.....

http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...ari_plans.html

That should be closer to what you see at Colonial Airstream, however, in true form, most of the info/specs on the unit are still not on the factory site (as of the date/timestamp of this post) which I still find odd that the factory would not have the specs out before dealers started putting info out to the masses.....

I have noticed that a few dealers mix and match pics and such on the descriptions. I actually emailed Sutton RV on this issue. Though his site is very nice, it was loaded with wrong pics, specs and models (at least a year or so ago when I last looked at his site). Colonial Airstream has been the most accurate so far that I've seen.

I too wonder if this will be blessed with the SE or CCD specs at some point. I mean the CCD line crosses most Safari floorplans already and this unit is squarely in that lineup.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:23 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Airstream Dealer

2001 25' Excella
Spokane Valley , Washington
Picture of 20' was correct

Canoe stream posted a picture of the 22' Safari just above the picture of the floor plan for the 20'. I believe you were looking at that one in error.

I hate to disagree with you Silver Twinkie, but I know my floorplans!

Karyn
Airstream of Spokane
WBCCI #1335
Karyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Eric, Never argue with a...

... a winner! Right Karyn? Karyn has it right. She posted a floor plan within the first 15 posts on the other 20-footer thread -- later mysteriously deleted and she then re-posted a bit later in that thread. I see that Airstream Central has put it up on their website finally -- here. Click on either Floorplans or Safari 20.

(Still no sign on the AS website of the Dave Winick retro-19' Bambi that the AS rep at the recent Mpls show said would be rolling down the line by late march -- probably wanting to get a few "out there" and let the dealers promo this limited run of 75 units. This doesn't smell great after they had Dave withdraw a few preview photos on his website almost 2 months ago...)

Patrick and Karyn, using what y'all know about Special Edition features progressing thru the Safari line, a front bed 20' Safari like this would seem an obvious candidate once it has been around long enough. Patrick or Karyn -- do you have any guess on when or if this one will receive the SE treatment.

I have a friend who'd be buying in about a year if they did produce such a creature... !!!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote