Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #41
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Lock outs

ROBERTSUNRUS

Bob.

There have been a number of complaints about the newer style trailer entrance door lock, locking by itself, if the door is slammed.

Airstream advises then to not "slam the door" since that is the only time the non-desired locking takes place.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #42
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
ABS braking

overlander63

You asked if Airstream might consider adding ABS to the disc brake equipped trailers.

Airstream advises that "they are working on it."

No dates or time frames were offered for the ABS availability with the discs.

Andy
Old 04-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #43
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks for the answers Andy. Some answers are pretty light on Airstream' part, but I thank you nonetheless for asking.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks Andy for your time and effort to approach Airstream on our behalf and give us their conclusions. It was nice of you to do that.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:09 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Thanks for the answers Andy. Some answers are pretty light on Airstream' part, but I thank you nonetheless for asking.
I agree with you there Eric. Especially yours about corrosion. Corrosion can take place. I think there is a bumper sticker that says that better, something about "stuff happens"?

Did anyone else have to chuckle when they read Airstream's comment for the locking door issue is not to slam the door? It reminds me of the joke where the man goes to see the doctor and says "Doc, it hurts when I do this." Then the doctor says, "so don't do that."

photography
Old 04-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #46
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I agree with you there Eric. Especially yours about corrosion. Corrosion can take place. I think there is a bumper sticker that says that better, something about "stuff happens"?

Did anyone else have to chuckle when they read Airstream's comment for the locking door issue is not to slam the door? It reminds me of the joke where the man goes to see the doctor and says "Doc, it hurts when I do this." Then the doctor says, "so don't do that."
Carol, you took the words right out of my keyboard! Nothing against Andy, he's only the messenger, but occasionally the wind can catch the door and cause it to slam and sometimes it takes a slam, or at least a hard close, to get the door to catch...don't slam the door... !!!!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #47
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Carol, you took the words right out of my keyboard! Nothing against Andy, he's only the messenger, but occasionally the wind can catch the door and cause it to slam and sometimes it takes a slam, or at least a hard close, to get the door to catch...don't slam the door... !!!!
I did not realize how many owners have the same complaint about that lock.

So..........

Inland RV Center, once again, has found a solution.

A solution that is cheap, but effective.

It is under test as I write this.

If it tests out ok, the fix will cost about $2.50, including postage.

Will post the results of our tests by April 26th, or sooner.

Any takers??????

Andy
Old 04-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
I did not realize how many owners have the same complaint about that lock.

So..........

Inland RV Center, once again, has found a solution.

A solution that is cheap, but effective.

It is under test as I write this.

If it tests out ok, the fix will cost about $2.50, including postage.

Will post the results of our tests by April 26th, or sooner.

Any takers??????

Andy
You have my attention.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Reply from Airstream re. frame corrosion and floor rot.

I have just received this reply from Mr Schuman:

" Mr. Crowhurst, I'm sorry about the previous e-mails that where not responded to, I am not sure of the cause. Airstream is always looking for ways to improve its' products and improving frames and floors would be part of that search.The chassis that is used on the Airstream Europe trailers are exclusive to Europe and cannot be used in the U.S., the reason for the use of galvanized frames in Europe is due in part to the bottom of the chassis not having underbelly on them. Airstream currently uses moisture resistant plywood on most models and it really has proven effective over the years. Laminate flooring would really be an effective alternative if reducing weight in addition to moisture resistance could be achieved. These are areas as I mentioned that are always being reviewed. Dave Schumann "

I have responded:
Mr Schuman, thank you for your prompt reply.
I would like to make the obvious point that Airstream is at liberty to galvanize its U.S.A frames, so I do not see the relevance of "The chassis that is used on the Airstream Europe trailers are exclusive to Europe and cannot be used in the U.S." Further, you imply that the lack of a belly pan causes more corrosion. On the contrary, my experience is that owners commonly realise the extent of frame corrosion only when parts of the belly pan are removed. Corrosion of an exposed frame is easier to monitor, and easier to treat.
We all have a common interest in the continued success of the Airstream brand. My view is that this would be better served by at least offering an extra "Dynasty" model, to European standards of corrosion resistance, at a premium price. Purchasers would have some confidence that the trailer could remain indefinitely in the family, or command a premium price on resale.
With best wishes, from Nick Crowhurst.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:38 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Slam?

Actually, my door locked last weekend when the wife merely *shut* the door. I can only imagine what the official Airstream solution would be. Sometimes I have to re-adjust the stabilizer jacks to compensate for the flexing of the frame, but we rarely come close to slamming the door. Consequently, we decided to keep an extra door key in the TV.

Andy - Does your solution have anything to do with an elastic band?
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I would probably get the fix depending on what it is.

However, my issue with the door lock was not it locking in slamming but that as I exit I inadvertently moved the inside sliding latch resulting in needing a locksmith to get me back in on a trip in Florida. That happened to me several times at home before and since on another trip but now I carry extra keys in the truck and I also think I finally have trained myself to be very careful in exiting. That being said I probably just jinxed myself and it will probably happen again soon.

Andy is your fix something that goes in the slot to prevent that from happening?

photography
Old 04-19-2007, 06:09 PM   #52
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger

Andy - Does your solution have anything to do with an elastic band?
Actually, simpler than that. But you will have to remove the inside plate to install the fix.

Andy
Old 04-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Actually, simpler than that. But you will have to remove the inside plate to install the fix.

Andy
Hi, Andy. I have not been into one of these latches, but I would install a stronger detent spring. It feels like some sort of spring tension that holds it in place. And I have moved the lock lever on several trailers and some took very little pressure to flip them into the locked possition; Much less than on my trailer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:28 AM   #54
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Simple Solution..........

Why not just add a 'Hide-a-key' to the outside with only the key for the affected lock? I do this and 'if ' the lock misbehaves, I trash it soundly and then just use the key to open it up again!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:36 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks for the reminder. I have been meaning to do that too.

photography
Old 04-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #56
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
It seems that ours locked on us the first time we camped...the weekend we bought ours. Fortunately, we were closing to door from the inside. It has happened a couple of times since when the kids closed (slammed) the door but fortunately it was always when the door was closed from the inside or when we were leaving to go somewhere and it didn't really matter that the door locked.

The necessity for slamming or closing hard does seem tied to how well the stabilizers are lowered and how tight they are screwed down. I'm sure that is due to racking of the frame. BTW, we always lock and dead bolt when we travel or leave the campsite to make sure the door doesn't spring open while going down the road or if someone wanted to get in really badly while we are gone.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:32 PM   #57
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Related to the flooring issues.

Airstream could use a marine plywood that has a lifetime warranty against rotting. The Marine industry has been using this stuff for years. Pontoon decking and transoms.

Marine Plywood

This is an IN vendor and I understand it's made in OR. While the labor would not be covered by the vendor the material would surely have coverage.

And may be RV's use this stuff now. It ain't cheap and it's a little hazardous. But so are Airstreams.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action