Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella 1000 > 1993 Excella 1000
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2011, 06:39 AM   #141
x

XXXX , XXXX
I think that is possibly the attachment point for the flux capacitor or the gamma ray port, maybe even a speed hole to make it go faster.
Seriously I think it is most likely damage that was patched over. You can see another dent just aft of it, probably the PO ran it to a tree branch or something similar. The vent stack covers you speak of on other trailers are higher up on the center roof skin panel and not on that section, plus they are located closer to waste tanks at the rear or closer to the kitchen sink. Your patch is in the living room area.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #142
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Other Pics

Top,
Ive added two more photos, forgive me for Im working with only what I have here at work with me between my laptop and my Iphone. I guess I could have waited till I got home to post better pics and ask this question. Also, I couldnt find anything on the interior that relates to this unknown patching on the outside.

Wasagachris,
Flux capacitor Gamma Ray port
First thing that came to mind when I read that was the Doc off the movie back to the future. Maybe the PO was building a time machine

I dont know that its damage beings theres no real indicators that its had a blunt blow or puncture. I dunno, guess I should quit worrying about it. I was just considering stripping the clear coat and polishing but didnt know what to do about that spot. Its covered with some type of sealant for sure. The roof has the same sealant around the vent covers. Horrible job at that! Its a mess that I will someday face.
Only other thing I might have thought about but surely they didnt try it, maybe they tried to mount a satellite dish on the side of the trailer. There are about 6 rivet/screw type places within the patch that have a pattern to it. I dunno Ill just leave it till I can think of something better to come up with. Thanks for responding guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0664.PNG
Views:	165
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	132538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.PNG
Views:	134
Size:	617.2 KB
ID:	132539  

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #143
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Mr S,
I'd say Chris is right. Looks like someone's attempt at a flush patch. In the close up you can see two smaller dents lower down the skin. Looks like something hit it. Here is how a flush patch is supposed to look. Pictures four and six. You can remove the old patch and sealant and re do the patch in a better way, so that the sealant is just a thin bead under the skin. It'll polish up nicely. Just takes some time, patience and money!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #144
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Dump Valve Blues

Well Im not off to a very good start with Tha Stream since Ive been home. After are first outing we knew we had a leak in the black water area. So Friday I got out the grinder with a cutoff blade and marked me out a square and cut out and access hole to see where the leak was coming from. Man when the manual says dont skimp on the hole size they mean it. But I had enough room to see what I need to see. I then went inside and began filling the black tank with water and soon enough I seen that I had a leak between the black water valve and the slip in adapter. So off to the local RV shop to see what they could do for me, which of course wasnt much. But after 13 calls to different RV shops I finally found ONE that said they could have me a valve kit by Monday. So today Mrs. S and myself drove 2 hours to get the part. Keep in mind I had already ordered one slip in adapter after reading the forums I knew that would need to be changed. So I get home eager to get to fixing the problem. I removed the rubber slip coming from the grey valve and removed the four screws to release the black valve from the slip in adaptar which crumbled in the process and I figured was no biggy since I had already purchased a new one. Then I proceded to manuver the valve around for rebuilding and I notice alot of play over at the grey water valve. After a quick glance I soon found out that the slip in adapter for the grey valve crumbled as well.......... And I only have ONE slip in adapter.......We leave Thursday for our next adventure..........So I hurried in and logged onto ODMRV.com in hopes they can get me my needed parts. I figured while I have everything out might as well rebuild both valves and slip in adapters and be done with the whole ordeal. HOPEFULLY the overnight shipping they offer will get the items here by Wednesday......Fingers Crossed.
Just when you think your prepared Excella hits you with another surprise.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #145
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Thumbs up I'm Joining the Excella-Needs-A-New-Floor Club

Great thread! I'll be referring to it this winter when I have to do the same to my 1992....thanks for sharing!

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #146
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreegirl
Great thread! I'll be referring to it this winter when I have to do the same to my 1992....thanks for sharing!
Glad you found it helpful. If you get stumped during your project feel free to ask questions. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #147
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Tongue is tired

Well if I cant camp might as well improve on the Ole Stream right.

So I went out and decided that I would repaint the tongue and its componets since they look worn and tired.

Well the Ole Excella is still full of surprises!

Heres what she looks like now:

Name:	IMG_0857.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	140245

Name:	IMG_0858.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	140246

Name:	IMG_0859.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	140247

This is the two major surprises I found today:

Name:	IMG_0860.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	140248

Yes this is the gas line mashed nearly flat.
I cannot believe that everything gas related even worked inside!

Name:	IMG_0861.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	140249

And this is the small front storage that sits in the tongue, as you noticed it is completely rotted out.

Im really thinking its not worth trying to save and just remove it all together. I have never used it and really dont see the need of trying to save it. Im stopping for the day to sleep on it. Any one got a good reason why I shouldnt just whack it out of there and go my happy way?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #148
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Wow! That smashed propane line is wild. Hard to believe that anything propane worked at all. When you fix it, you may want to check the regulator output pressure with a manometer. The regulator may have been cranked up to compensate for the smashed line.
I like the tongue storage. I would keep it. I'd make the bottom of it out of expanded metal so it won't hold water. Or you could make it an extra beer cooler.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #149
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Wow! That smashed propane line is wild. Hard to believe that anything propane worked at all. When you fix it, you may want to check the regulator output pressure with a manometer. The regulator may have been cranked up to compensate for the smashed line.
I like the tongue storage. I would keep it. I'd make the bottom of it out of expanded metal so it won't hold water. Or you could make it an extra beer cooler.

Yea I was really shocked that it was smashed like that and I havent had any trouble with any propane items in the trailer.

Looks like Im going to replace the line back to the next joint. Its a pretty long run but Im not to sure about splicing a propane line.

I went back and looked at the storage box, Im on the fence, I thought about coming about 3 inches from the bottom and cutting it off all the way around then putting in a new bottom. Expanded metal is a great idea. I dont have a welding machine myself but I know a local welding shop that could knock that out in no time.

The plan for tomorrow is to sandblast the tongue and storage box and see how much metal on the box is good. Then I'll go from there.

A manometer huh? Thats a first, Ill have to research that and see where I can locate one. Looks like Ive found the perfect time to fully service the gas systems and freshen them up. I did notice a faint gas smell when we used the hot water heater on our last trip.

Its amazing how you set out to ONE thing and it turns into SEVERAL things.

The joys of owning an Airstream, I wouldnt have it any other way.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #150
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Here is a manometer like I bought locally for $79. Much cheaper from VTS. Replacing the whole run of line is the way to go. I saw your other thread about this. If possible, disconnect and flush all the lines with denatured alcohol and blow compressed air through them. I had a problem with some goop in the propane line going to the fridge. After getting all the junk out of the lines the fridge is working great.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #151
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Whew!

WHEW! What a day!

If you havent ever had the pleasure of sandblasting you need to give it a shot, that is one hot messy job right there!

I just got out the shower and the bottom of the shower was solid black.
Glad Mrs. S wasnt here to see that mess!

Anyhoo, took me the better part of the evening to get it blasted. Id blast awhile, cool off awhile, blast awhile, cool awhile.......then I run out of sand

O well theres always tomorrow

So if you ever wondered what your tongue would look like naked here it is:

Name:	IMG_0864.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	140310

Name:	IMG_0865.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	140311

Name:	IMG_0866.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	140312

I can assure you this is a much bigger task then one might think.

Sometimes I really wish I had a shop, but for now my 40 year old barn that was built by my Grandfather is doing the trick.

Name:	IMG_0867.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	458.4 KB
ID:	140313

Sometimes you just have to work with what cha got!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #152
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Wow! Looks like you just about got that tongue project licked! Hee hee
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:37 AM   #153
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Looking very good ! I am about to do the same to mine !!
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #154
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
The storage box on my 84 Excella looks just like yours. I will be interested in seeing what you end up with. Nice work you are doing, btw, and great photos. Thanks.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #155
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Primer

Glad everyone is enjoying the pics and following along.

Well since I last posted I have found out how to make it rain in East Texas!
Yea I see the face you are giving me right now.
It goes like this:

1. Sandblast the tongue of your trailer.
2. Prime it with a cheap on sale primer from NAPA.
3. Go out of town for one night to visit your sister.
WALLA! It will RAIN! And the tongue of the trialer will have RUST on it!

Name:	IMG_0880.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	140647
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS!
It goes on very thin, I used four cans and I knew it wasnt thick enough.

So today I re-sanded the tongue of the trailer and went to the hardware store and got a different primer.
I talked to a couple people in the store and this is what they recommended.

Name:	IMG_0879.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	140648

It goes on very well and I only used two and a half cans. I can say it was a much better smooth finish and it is very thick!

So tomorrow I hope to get a couple coats of the final finishing coat on.
Hope it turns out well.

As for the storage box I decided to keep it. I took some photos to a local welder I know and he said he would cut the lower section off that is bad and build a new box that will sleeve over the current box. He will then weld it inside and outside so it will hold well. He advised me to drill holes in the four corners to let any water drain. Sounds good to me.
Only problem is he is booked up this week and I have to leave for work next week, so he said I should go ahead and paint it for now and after he welds it in place do a final touch up with paint. So for now thats the plan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0878.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	140649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0877.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	140650  

Old 10-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #156
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Finished

Guess I kinda left everyone hanging with the finishing up of the tongue. I got it all painted up. I should have went a shade darker on the final coat, but all and all Im satisfied with the outcome.

Name:	IMG_0941.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	144103

Name:	IMG_0940.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	144104

Some other things I got done today was the installing of my new tongue jack. My old one was still working but I came across a sale online with free shipping and just couldnt resist. Looks good with the tongue being newly painted.

Name:	IMG_0939.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	144105

I also installed a breakaway controller since the one I had looks like it hasnt worked in about 10 years.

I then got up on the roof and changed out my old faded off white Maxx Air covers for some new shiney black ones. Looks good! Clean looking!

Name:	IMG_0938.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	144106

Then lastly I finished up my LP line that was smashed flat. I changed out the entire line so that I wouldnt have a splice in the line. Tested all the LP gas equipment and Im good to go. Even ran the heater, sure is nice to say I had to run the heater cuz its finally cooling down some in Texas.

So it looks like we are all set up for our trip to Canton, Texas this coming Thursday. Back to Canton, try to get alittle Xmas shopping done. You know its right around the corner.....
Old 10-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #157
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Looks great Mr. S! Like always. Welcome back to the Republic by the way. Lookin' forward to the rally!

Old 11-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #158
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Odds & Ends

Just doing some odds and ends today.
I got some new latches installed on some of my cabinets that seemed to come open during travel. The latches were just wore out. I tried to adjust them but they just needed to be replaced.

After that I decided I would adjust my trailer brakes. Man am I glad I done that. Now I know that the TV was doing 90% of the braking. After adjusting all the brakes and taking a short drive to see a difference I was amazed at the braking differance. Guess that goes to show that sometimes we just need to take the time and check our brakes and make sure their in tune. Made all the difference in the world.

So now Mrs. S is gone off getting me some cleaning supplies. Think Ill give the ole boy a good washing. Hasnt had a good outside scrubbing since I got it. Yea Yea I know, my fault. I spend more time making repairs than anything else. But tomorrow will be a wash job then Thursday we will head out to enjoy the beneifits.

Get out there and check your brakes, makes a world of difference.
Whens the last time you checked them?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #159
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Hey Mr S,
It is nice when you get everything fixed and all that is left is a good wash! Glad you took the time to adjust the brakes. That makes a big difference. Even though you tow with a mini Peterbilt, good brakes are a must! You know some people here will tell you popped open hatches and latches is a tell tale sign of "unbalanced running gear" but I know you have centramatics installed, so your axles must have "taken a set" and the rubber rods have "solidified" and need replacing! It can't be just the two dollar catch. Could it? Hmmm...
See you soon and enjoy your trip this weekend!

Old 11-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #160
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Mr. S Thanks for detailing your restoration. I am just beginning mine on a '92 Excella 29'. Right down the line it looks like we have similar problems. It is nice to see that the work can be accomplished. I will look forward to posting pictures of mine along the way. I have also been following a couple of other floor repairs. Especially HiHoAgRV I really appreciate his work. Looks like Palmtreegirl and I will be working on the same projects this winter.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1993 excella, floor