Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella 1000 > 1993 Excella 1000
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #81
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Top,

I know you are multi-talented, but how do you hold the bucking bar in one hand and the gun in the other?
Very carefully!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #82
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
JS,
Here is what I bought from VTS. You can find all the necessary things on ebay as well. Here is a link to some other goodies.

Thanks for the info Top.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #83
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
What a day!

Well its been a long day today. I got the end cap in the barn and got it taped off and primed. It will be ready for the final coat in the morning after everything warms up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0545[1].jpg
Views:	138
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	126213 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0546[1].jpg
Views:	126
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	126214

After I got the end cap primed, I decided to go ahead and put the new blue rub railing at the bottom of the AS. Made a huge difference in the the apperance of the trailer.

Name:	IMG_0548[1].jpg
Views:	139
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	126215 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549[1].jpg
Views:	151
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	126216

As soon as I finished up with that Mrs. S came in from her new job she just started and wanted to celebrate her new job by going out to eat. So after our dinner date we decided to swing by Home Depot since its 60 miles from our home and we were in the neighbor hood. Mrs. S picked out her flooring. She decided on Allure Blonde Maple Resililent Plank Flooring by Traffic Master. And since Best Buy was near by I swung throungh and picked up and new Alpine CD player to replace the old tape deck player mounted in the end cap. ( It was time for an update)

Name:	IMG_0550[1].jpg
Views:	177
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	126217

So Im sure to be really busy tomorrow and we are getting really excited being so close to being able to use or AS. Only bad thing is Im running out of time to work on it due to the fact I have to leave Sunday to head back to work.

But were getting there one day at a time. As Ive said before and will say again:

Rome wasnt built in a day!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:28 AM   #84
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Mr. S,
Lookin' good. Congrats to Mrs. S on the new employ! The end cap will look great when you are done. The blue insert looks nice too. Did you have to use the sledge hammer to get it in?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:42 AM   #85
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Hammer

Quote:
Mr. S,
Lookin' good. Congrats to Mrs. S on the new employ! The end cap will look great when you are done. The blue insert looks nice too. Did you have to use the sledge hammer to get it in?
Well after nearly 10 years in the Oil and Gas Industry, I tend to solve all my problems with a sledge hammer. When I was posting that pic last night I knew someone would catch the hammer in the shot.

Mrs. S says thank you very much for her Congrats. ( She is very excited)
Im very proud of her, shes spent many years in college and waited for this day.

Now only if I could some how figure out a way for her to come home and put all her money in my Airstream Funding Jar??????
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #86
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
End Cap

Well yesterday I got the final coat on the end cap, but I couldnt find anyone to help me put it back in the AS. So what the heck it cant be that bad Ill just do it myself. WOW! Never Never Never put in an end cap by yourself... There was one point when I had half of it in trying to figure out my next move but couldnt let it go to stand back and see what it needed, then the UPS man come by to drop off a package and I was hollaring for him to help me but either he didnt hear me or he didnt want to hear me.

But I got it! Many bad words later and lots and lots of sweat its in and the new radio is installed and let me tell you, that AS has got a great sound system in it.

So heres the final result =
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0555[1].jpg
Views:	130
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	126281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0554[1].jpg
Views:	130
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	126282  

Name:	IMG_0553[1].jpg
Views:	148
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	126283  
Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #87
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Ok need some input. My batteries in the AS have bit the dust and won't take a charge. They are Everstart Maxx and are barely two years old. Can anyone give me some advice on what a good battery for our AS would be. Something powerful and long lasting. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
That end cap looks fantastic, mr smith. you will get all kinds of responses here about your batteries-its all personal preference. personally, I like an Interstate Group 27 deep cycle. thats what is in my excella 1000 and they have done me well. when i am home on shore power i turn off the charger(univolt) to keep from overcharging. about a week before we go camping i will turn it back on to charge up the batteries. hope this helps. oh btw, check your spoke wheels for cracks- i had cracks in two of mine
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #89
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx
That end cap looks fantastic, mr smith. you will get all kinds of responses here about your batteries-its all personal preference. personally, I like an Interstate Group 27 deep cycle. thats what is in my excella 1000 and they have done me well. when i am home on shore power i turn off the charger(univolt) to keep from overcharging. about a week before we go camping i will turn it back on to charge up the batteries. hope this helps. oh btw, check your spoke wheels for cracks- i had cracks in two of mine
Thanks for your comment on the end caps. That's a bigger job than I though it would be but it's done.

I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on the best battery. My friends are pushing me towards the Optima batteries but they are really expensive.

You had cracks in the metal spoke of the rim itself? I would never think to even check that. I'll look tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:43 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
That front floor looks good! We did our rear floor and started camping. Eventually we have to do the front but hate the idea of stopping our camping to do it. May wait until we fall through! LOL, Just kidding, figure we'll fix it before then. Wish we could just take it to someone and say, "here, replace the front floor." We've done some patching, but nothing I'd want to show anyone!

You should be very proud. Floor work looks great!

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #91
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Batteries

Nice job on the end cap. Looks like new.
I can say that the Interstate group 27 deep cycle marine batteries are good quality. I got one in November used it for a month, drilled a hole in it in January and it still holds a charge with one cell empty. I plan on installing two AGM batteries at some point. Not sure of the brand though. Maybe Lifeline. The group 27 Lifeline is about $275. They are reported to last 7-8 years. The regular flooded cell Interstate group 27 batteries are about $85 and are reported to last 5 years. (if you don't drill a hole in it) You can replace a lot of flooded cell batteries for the price of one AGM. I'm running wires from the curb side battery compartment to the street side closet for "Future installation" of a second battery. The PO installed a new Intelli-power PD9160A charger/converter. I've read you have to have a good charger converter with AGM batteries. I believe a quality three stage charger/converter is essential to long battery life. Everything you need is available from bestconverter.com

Old 04-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Mr S- Personally(jmho) I think the optima batteries are a unecessary waste of money-same with the AGM. If your univolt is working i see no reason to change it unless it fails. just take some precautions to keep from overcharging the batteries.

Wheels-the cracks were right where the spoke joined the wheel. they were 180 degrees apart. can not get wheels from airstream anymore, but southwest wheel or tredit.com have replacements. both are under 40 bucks.

hope this helps.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #93
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Mr S- Personally(jmho) I think the optima batteries are a unecessary waste of money-same with the AGM. If your univolt is working i see no reason to change it unless it fails. just take some precautions to keep from overcharging the batteries.
I disagree. The Univolt should go. It charges and charges. It has no intelligence. The Intellipower and Best converters will not overcharge your betteries.
They may be other converters that are good but these are the only two I am aware of.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #94
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Hey there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
That front floor looks good! We did our rear floor and started camping. Eventually we have to do the front but hate the idea of stopping our camping to do it. May wait until we fall through! LOL, Just kidding, figure we'll fix it before then. Wish we could just take it to someone and say, "here, replace the front floor." We've done some patching, but nothing I'd want to show anyone!

You should be very proud. Floor work looks great!

Thanks for the comment on the floor! If you do end up taking your AS to someone to have the floor replaced, be sure to get some background on the person before they work on it. Quiz them alittle on AS's and see if they have any background with working on them. If you remember I took my to a shop and they turned my rear floor into a disaster and I had to rip it out and redo it myself.

Hope your travels have been great! Hope to catch you guys on the road one day.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #95
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Battery

Hmmm I thing the whole uniconverter, battery, on, off, charge no charge, thing is kinda confusing. Me and Mrs. S talk about it and were not going to be alot of boondocking so batteries wont be a HUGE factor so I think I'll just replace them with a decent quaility battery. THanks for everyones input.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith84 View Post
Hmmm I thing the whole uniconverter, battery, on, off, charge no charge, thing is kinda confusing. Me and Mrs. S talk about it and were not going to be alot of boondocking so batteries wont be a HUGE factor so I think I'll just replace them with a decent quaility battery. THanks for everyones input.
Having just replaced the univolt with an all in one, it makes it much easier, saves about 30 lbs, and the lights when plugged in look better. It's a good project that someone will have to do someday.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #97
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Out of time!

Well Ive run out of time! Im headed back to work today. Man time flies when your building an AS and having fun with the family. Were so close but yet so far. Next time I get home all thats left is laying the new floor and installing the couch and the bed. So HOPEFULLY with our fingers crossed, we will get to take the Ole AS to Lake Sam Rayburn for a test run. We were up there yesterday with the in-laws and there camper and the whole time I was there all I could think about was being up there and having my AS sitting there. Would have been the only AS in the park. Sure dont see many around here. But soon it wont be a dream.

Ok everyone, hope everyone thats traveling has safe travels and everyone working on there AS is making great progress.

Ill be back posting here in the middle of MAY!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #98
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Enjoy Mr. S. Don't work too hard.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #99
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Thanks!

Quote:
Enjoy Mr. S. Don't work too hard.
Thanks Top! I have to go to work to get a break if you know what I mean.

Ill be lurking around keeping an eye on things while Im away. Talented as you are and hard as you work on Abby you just might be done with her before Im done with mine. Man that would make me look bad! Good luck with Abby! Hopefully we will all be camping soon! Take care!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #100
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Well my time in Asia is coming to an end, Im finally on my way back home. While I was away I order 6 new 16'' aluminum wheels, 6 new Michelin LTX M/S tires, 4 centramatic balancers, 4 new shocks from ODMRV.com, and a new back bumper. Everything should arrive about the same time I do. Mrs. S and I sure have our fingers crossed that we get our floor laid and everything put together in time to make a 7 day test run while Im home this time. Looks like Im sure going to be busy while Im home.
Rome wasnt built in a day, but Rome also didnt have Mrs. S swinging a whip either....
Glad to be headed home and will be even happier to be working on our AS. Stay tuned Ill be posting progress soon.

Tags
1993 excella, floor