Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Melted plug?

Is that a melted plug you found under the wall? Scares me since your trailer is just like ours. If so, where did you find it?

Btw, JS, we've found rot in the curbside rear and expect to find it on the other rear curve as well. We've found it in the curve at the streetside front, and expect to find it in a couple more places. We also have some tile in the hallway. I'm going to leave it alone. I think ya'll need to quit looking so much! LOL Just kidding.

I'm proud of you - you're going to have one great AS when you're finished.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Nothing special

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
J- What did you paint the end cap with? any special prep?
Didnt really do anything special, just took the end cap down which is a job for one person, and sanded it with a light sand paper and primed it and primed it with Valspar paint from Lowes that Mrs. S picked up. Turned out really good. Seems to sick really well, I was worried that it wouldnt stick but I think the trick was roughing the surface. Im going to do the front cap the same way after I get done with the bedroom area.

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Is that a melted plug you found under the wall? Scares me since your trailer is just like ours. If so, where did you find it?

Btw, JS, we've found rot in the curbside rear and expect to find it on the other rear curve as well. We've found it in the curve at the streetside front, and expect to find it in a couple more places. We also have some tile in the hallway. I'm going to leave it alone. I think ya'll need to quit looking so much! LOL Just kidding.

I'm proud of you - you're going to have one great AS when you're finished.
Hi Lawchick,

The plug I changed out is your main 110 volt 30 amp service line you use to power your camper. It was in really bad shape but surprisingly still work but I wasnt comfortable using it.

Sounds like our Excella models are famous for floor rot in all the same places. I know its kinda overwhelming but you got to keep positive to keep the dream alive. I just keep thinking once I get it all fixed Ill know what I have then. I think over time the PO just dont maintenance there AS like they should. After I get this floor under control Im going to do some major sealing to try and keep the water out!

Thanks for the commemt...its comments like that that keep me going. Makes the work worth while.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #46

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith84 View Post
Hi Lawchick,...

Sounds like our Excella models are famous for floor rot ...keep positive to keep the dream alive. I just keep thinking once I get it all fixed Ill know what I have then. ... After I get this floor under control Im going to do some major sealing to try and keep the water out! ...Thanks for the commemt...its comments like that that keep me going. Makes the work worth while.
Both of ya'll are on track...I spent a few very intense weeks fixing floor rot due to leaks....
THEN i've spent 16+weeks towing almost 10,000 miles with NO floor worries...
Keep pushing...the fun part is getting closer!!!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Work Work

Well Got the POR-15 put on today. So while I was waiting on that to dry I decided to go ahead and install my new Bal Stabilizers. Waited the rest of the day for the POR to dry. By the time it was dry it was getting late but I really wanted to get some flooring in today. I got one side in but having a little trouble with the other side. Should have it in tomorrow early and then I can start sealing up and puting the bananna wraps back on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	120249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0341.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	120250  

Name:	IMG_0342.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	120251  
Old 01-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Thousands of RIVETS later.....

Well today was a busy day.....Got the floor in, installed all the floor bolts and tightened them up, installed all the interior panels, installed the outside rub railings and bannana wraps, and got everything sealed up. We now have a very steardy, secure, and hopefully water free floor. Only thing I wished I hadnt done is use the WHITE sealer/primer on the flooring because now its got lots of stains from my boots while I installed the inner panels. The thought was priming them white would help me later on down the road when Im inspecting for leaks....Oh well live and learn. It wont be seen when we put the carpet down.
Just couldnt bring myself to finish up that belly pan today...still got alittle POR to put and then the rear floor job will be done then I can start the front.
Got 6 days till will leave for Angel Fire NM.....Hope I get the front flooring done before then. Im in need of this vacation a lot of sweat, tears, blood, and have went into this flooring job the past two days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0343.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	120397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0344.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	120398  

Name:	IMG_0347.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	120399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	120400  

Old 01-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #49
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Great work! Man, you are hittin' it hard. The belly pan is a pain for sure. Keep up the great work. Have you heard of the Canyon of the Eagles forum rally? You should try to make that one.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Rally

Thanks PB, I been at it pretty good, I havent heard of that rally. I tried looking for it in the rally calendar but didnt see it. What are the dates? We are going to try and make the Texas Vintage Rally in May, but dont know for sure yet if we will make it.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #51
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
JS,
The rally is in March. Here's the link
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...1-a-72958.html
You have to make a reservation on your own by calling the TXPWD reservation line. Hope to see you there.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
At Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb379_2010 View Post
JS,
The rally is in March. Here's the link
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...1-a-72958.html
You have to make a reservation on your own by calling the TXPWD reservation line. Hope to see you there.
Sorry looks like Ill be at work for that rally...Dont think Id be ready anyway. I was just outside looking at the front section of the trailer looks like it will be a bigger job than I thought. Lots to remove. And all this rain dont help any. Ill be lucky to make the May rally in Glenn Rose.

Our plan is to get the carpet in the rear and install the bed. Then start the front sub floor repair, remove the end cap for painting, then replace all the old tiles for new flooring.(havent decided what yet) throughout the trailer. Seems like the more I open up this can the more worms I find. LOL Im sure you know what I mean looks like you got your hands full to. Cant imagine having frame working like what your tackleing. Id like to know how your new welder works out for you Im soon in the market for one myself.
We are also looking for a new TV after we do our income tax, our half ton chevy just isnt up for the task of long hauls. She just dont have the power. Hopefully we will make a rally soon and have a beer and talk about all the hard work we've done. Thanks for the invite though.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Question Need Help

Ok Im starting the front flooring replacement and Im removing the interior panels and Ive run into some trouble. I need to remove the interior panel that is to the left of the door if you were standing inside the trailer looking out. Ive got all the rivets out except the ones that are under the door framing. I can see them but dont know how to get them out without removing the door frame which I really want to avoid if possible. Anyone got any ideas to help before I go any further? Is that a trim that can be removed without having to take out the entire door frame? I attached photos to help see what I mean. Thanks to the PO and there shaby patch job and epoxy work I need to get that bottom panel off so I can get a good look at how bad the floor is and how far back it goes. Any advice will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0349.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	120529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	120530  

Name:	IMG_0351.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	120531   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	120532  

Old 01-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #54
x

XXXX , XXXX
Door Frame Trim

JS My 73 has a trim ring around the door frame and recently I helped someone with a 88 which has the same trim so I imagine yours is the same. The trim is Capital T sahped with the top of the T being the part you can see. The other part inserts into a slot in the door frame and is held in place with several clips inserted into the slot. It may also be riveted on from outside. If you stane outside looking in can you see rivets on the inner edge of the outer door frame right where the gasket of the door would meet the frame. If so drill out these rivets and gently pry the trim loose from the frame. You will have to pry in several points to free the trim from the clips.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Think I found it

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
JS My 73 has a trim ring around the door frame and recently I helped someone with a 88 which has the same trim so I imagine yours is the same. The trim is Capital T sahped with the top of the T being the part you can see. The other part inserts into a slot in the door frame and is held in place with several clips inserted into the slot. It may also be riveted on from outside. If you stane outside looking in can you see rivets on the inner edge of the outer door frame right where the gasket of the door would meet the frame. If so drill out these rivets and gently pry the trim loose from the frame. You will have to pry in several points to free the trim from the clips.
Ok thanks I think this is what you are talking about, there are a dozen or so rivets that I think are holding it in place. I knew there had to be a way to get that off without taking the whole door frame out. But if you dont mind can you check the photo and see if this is what you mean. Thanks for your reply.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0355.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	120549  
Old 01-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #56
x

XXXX , XXXX
JS I think that is them. Mine were right at the inner edge but your trim looks a little different than mine so maybe that`s why the rivets are in a different spot.
Chris.

Tags
1993 excella, floor