Old 11-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #169

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I had one mounted in my '29 similar to yours. It traveled 23 states with a bungee cord holding it to the wall.

On our 34' the TV's sit on cabinet tops so they DO get stowed prior to travel

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #170
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Working again!

Well if Im not camping Im working on our camper.

During our stay for the Texas Piney Woods Rally I was having trouble with my hot water heater.
It would light and make hot water like it was supposed to but after it shut off we would have a gas smell in the trailer. It was really bad if we turned on the Fantastic Fan.
On inspection of the unit, I noticed that after it kicked off that I still had a small blue flame burning. Hmmmmm that cant be right.
So I pulled off the gas valve and cleaned everything the best I could.
Im not going to go into details on how or what I used to clean it out with, most of you would have a stroke But after three times of doing this it seemed to work fine. I didnt wake up with any more headaches that I was blaming from the night before.

If it was just me I would have left it as it was because the last two nights we were there we didnt have any trouble from it. But since Mrs. S was concerned a bit and we got a big trip planned for December I figured I might should fix it right.

So I went by the local RV shop today and learned a thing or two. I told the guy what I done to get it working and his response was something like
"Holy man that can blow your up if your not careful.

Yea Yea I work in this type of enviroment all the time, I make gas man Im not as afraid of it as most. I work on a bomb!

Anyhoo he said my gas valve works off magnets and that my gas valve is bad and that I need to change it out. The setup is 200 bucks plus tax.....
But beings how these guys kinda owe me from past experiance he had a unit that didnt have the magnetic solenoid. My solenoid was still good so he sold me the unit for 75 cash. Yea buddy! He was speaking my lingo!

So I brought the new unit home and changed it out. Wasnt a 5 minute job like I thought but I got er done!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0995.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	145506
Heres my old unit that the RV guy called a gas valve.

Name:	IMG_0996.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	360.2 KB
ID:	145507
Heres my old unit next to my new unit and as you can tell my new one is missing some parts. Easy right, take one put it on the other. Yea Right!

Name:	IMG_0997.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	145508
Who ever had the bright idea of putting this type of torque head on here with this freaking dot in the center is a NUT!
I had to get this out because this is where my ground post goes.
I had to very CAREFULLY drill out the center so I could back out the screw!

Name:	IMG_0998.jpg
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	145509
Then I had to clean up each fitting due to being covered in this smelly tar like junk.
Note: If you ever have problems with getting gas to the gas pump, take off the inlet brass fitting and there is a screen inside there, make sure its not stopped up. Mine was pretty gross.

Name:	IMG_0999.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	145510
So heres the finished product and we are making hot water again. Im gonna let it cycle for awhile and make sure no more gas is leaking.
I done the soapy water check and everything is good. Im satisfied, but gotta get the Missus satisfied first....

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #171
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Thumbs up

Nice work Mr S. I just had one of those valves in my hands this week. Didn't need it, so I took it back. Glad you got it done.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #172
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Boondocker!

Well I have been busier than a cat covering up !

Ive been preparing our rig for Boondock mode! Dont know that Ill ever do it but if the situation comes about I want to be prepared.

So I run a shore connection to the front of the trailer. I had some left over 10/3 600 Volt industrial wire that I used to rewire my water well with. Its already insulated and can be burried underground. So I got to looking and I figured what the heck, why cant I run it through the frame and make me a front shore connection. Well I did! I didnt document the process to much, its pretty simple run wire and mount plugs. I got the idea from HiHoAgRV and I talked to him breifly at the rally we attended together and he said "Ah its simple, go for it"
Well it wasnt that simple! The hardest part is snaking something through the frame so you can pull the wire through. I finally got that part done after pushig everything I own through the frame trying to get a simple snake to the other end. But I got er done!
This is the results:

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	145695
Front Connection

Name:	IMG_1014.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	456.1 KB
ID:	145696
Rear connection

I think you get the basic plan, plug my trailer plug in the rear connection which transfers the power supply location to the front of the trailer, then Ill have a generator in the bed of the truck and a jumper (which has been made already) that I will plug in to the front shore connection and then BAM we have power. Perfect for when we are traveling and we are just stopping for the night and dont want to unhook from the trailer to get the generator around to the back of the trailer to hook up.

So after that was done I turned my attention to the fresh water dump valve that has been broken since I bought the trailer. The PO just installed a 3/8 plug into the tank and there was no way to dump the water.
I ordered a valve from ODMRV.com and I have to say, they are very cheap and cheesy valves!

And to top that try to find fitting that are 3/8 inch, I just found out today you cant get that in PEX or PVC.
So this is my contraption I come up with to make it work:

Name:	IMG_1008.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	615.2 KB
ID:	145697

And this is the mess of an access point to do this work:

Name:	IMG_1009.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	145698

After putting all this mess together and getting it in place heres the final product:

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	145699

And the new plate I installed to make things look better:

Name:	IMG_1010.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	145700

Now Im not comfortable about the way that cheap valve is hanging out there and I look for it to be broken at some point again! I mean look at this cheap and open design. Ill be thinking of something better in the future.

Now for my biggest score of the week.
Im proud to announce that I am the owner of a Honda eu3000i generator.

Name:	IMG_1016.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	145703 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1015.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	145704

My father-in-law had this little jewl stowed away in his shed and I didnt even know it. He has only run it twice in 2 years and said its only got maybe 24 hours on it.
I pulled the rope on it twice and it fired right up.
By the time dinner was over I had talked him right out of it and brought her home with me! So excited! They are so quiet!
PERFECT for us!

We are now ready for our grand adventure to finish up the year in December. Cant wait!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #173

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Cool work Mr. S!

One suggestion...swap that tongue plug for a male version...

Otherwise you will be usin' a hot exposed male from the (I'm envious) scored 3000 Honda!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #174
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
Cool work Mr. S!

One suggestion...swap that tongue plug for a male version...

Otherwise you will be usin' a hot exposed male from the (I'm envious) scored 3000 Honda!
Gotcha! Thanks for that tip! I didn't even think about that!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #175
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Still Learning

Learned something new today, all the man hours and upgrades Ive done to this unit you think I would know it inside and out right? Well I just found out today that I was wrong. As some of you might know Ive listed this unit in the classified section, well had a person email me today and ask me about the dry weight of this unit so I pulled out the owners manual so I could give him the acurate weight. After I listed it on the classified someone pointed out that this unit maybe be a 30' instead of a 29'. No its got to be a 29', thats what its always been right..........AHEM! Well....Its a 30 footer. I have been mistaken this entire time. This unit is a 1993 Excella 1000 30 footer side bath with a rear queen bed.
Just goes to show when you got it all figured out, it can all suddenly change.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #176
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
I wish I could own this camper Mr. S......it's exactly what I'm looking for......(sigh) if I could only unload mine......

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #177
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreegirl
I wish I could own this camper Mr. S......it's exactly what I'm looking for......(sigh) if I could only unload mine......
Thanks Palmtreegirl, well if you unload yours give me a shout and I'll fix you up with our camper.
It's going to make someone a really great camper!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #178
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Well folks, we are now Airstreamless

We sold it today to a very nice couple that's looking to retire soon. They have lots of travel plans in store for it.
They went on and on about all the work and quality I put into the trailer. They were so very excited. It was sad for me but at the same time I'm glad they loved it so much.

So I guess that's the end of this thread.

Guess I'll be on the hunt now.

I'm officially a LURKER now!

For now.......
Old 03-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #179
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Congrats on the sale! I happen to know someone with a really long 13 panel in need of restoration...

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #180
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
Hey, congrats on your sale. Sounds like it went to a good home.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #181
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Joshua:

Congrats on the sale... I think.... lol

Was just thinking about you and the Mrs. this week, almost time to get out and do some camping.

Was also thinking about the potential Canton Rally, but I would guess unless you have another AS up your sleeve, that's going to be up to someone else to pull off?

I figure you guys won't be without an AS for long.... hopefully.

Dana
Old 03-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #182
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
I dumbfounded, I just spent the last 2 hours reading this whole thread and the repairs you have done on your Airstream. I was getting a feeling like you were really passionate about your work and whole Airstream experience, then you up and sell everything. It seems to me after all this work you have done you have really never took the steps to enjoy your endeavors and the experiences of being an Airstream owner other than one or two trips. Am I missing something here, did you not like the trips you took in the Airstream, were there just to many problems with the unit, was the unit not right in someway for you. I mean you customized it for you and Mrs S, new tow vehicle, Tires/Rims, TV's through out, customized outlets, generators, Floors, this thing is ready to rock and roll then you sell it without really and explaination, but maybe you got an offer you couldn't refuse. I have a 28 footer and it is one of the best things I have ever purchased, the experiences I have had in it are irreplaceable, it would take a chunk of change to get me to part with it, because finding one to replace it seems to be getting next to impossible.

Good luck in the future,

HankO

Tags
1993 excella, floor