Old 09-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #155
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Primer

Glad everyone is enjoying the pics and following along.

Well since I last posted I have found out how to make it rain in East Texas!
Yea I see the face you are giving me right now.
It goes like this:

1. Sandblast the tongue of your trailer.
2. Prime it with a cheap on sale primer from NAPA.
3. Go out of town for one night to visit your sister.
WALLA! It will RAIN! And the tongue of the trialer will have RUST on it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0880.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	140647
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS!
It goes on very thin, I used four cans and I knew it wasnt thick enough.

So today I re-sanded the tongue of the trailer and went to the hardware store and got a different primer.
I talked to a couple people in the store and this is what they recommended.

Name:	IMG_0879.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	140648

It goes on very well and I only used two and a half cans. I can say it was a much better smooth finish and it is very thick!

So tomorrow I hope to get a couple coats of the final finishing coat on.
Hope it turns out well.

As for the storage box I decided to keep it. I took some photos to a local welder I know and he said he would cut the lower section off that is bad and build a new box that will sleeve over the current box. He will then weld it inside and outside so it will hold well. He advised me to drill holes in the four corners to let any water drain. Sounds good to me.
Only problem is he is booked up this week and I have to leave for work next week, so he said I should go ahead and paint it for now and after he welds it in place do a final touch up with paint. So for now thats the plan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0878.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	140649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0877.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	140650  

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #156
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Finished

Guess I kinda left everyone hanging with the finishing up of the tongue. I got it all painted up. I should have went a shade darker on the final coat, but all and all Im satisfied with the outcome.

Name:	IMG_0941.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	144103

Name:	IMG_0940.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	144104

Some other things I got done today was the installing of my new tongue jack. My old one was still working but I came across a sale online with free shipping and just couldnt resist. Looks good with the tongue being newly painted.

Name:	IMG_0939.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	144105

I also installed a breakaway controller since the one I had looks like it hasnt worked in about 10 years.

I then got up on the roof and changed out my old faded off white Maxx Air covers for some new shiney black ones. Looks good! Clean looking!

Name:	IMG_0938.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	144106

Then lastly I finished up my LP line that was smashed flat. I changed out the entire line so that I wouldnt have a splice in the line. Tested all the LP gas equipment and Im good to go. Even ran the heater, sure is nice to say I had to run the heater cuz its finally cooling down some in Texas.

So it looks like we are all set up for our trip to Canton, Texas this coming Thursday. Back to Canton, try to get alittle Xmas shopping done. You know its right around the corner.....

Old 10-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #157
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Looks great Mr. S! Like always. Welcome back to the Republic by the way. Lookin' forward to the rally!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #158
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Odds & Ends

Just doing some odds and ends today.
I got some new latches installed on some of my cabinets that seemed to come open during travel. The latches were just wore out. I tried to adjust them but they just needed to be replaced.

After that I decided I would adjust my trailer brakes. Man am I glad I done that. Now I know that the TV was doing 90% of the braking. After adjusting all the brakes and taking a short drive to see a difference I was amazed at the braking differance. Guess that goes to show that sometimes we just need to take the time and check our brakes and make sure their in tune. Made all the difference in the world.

So now Mrs. S is gone off getting me some cleaning supplies. Think Ill give the ole boy a good washing. Hasnt had a good outside scrubbing since I got it. Yea Yea I know, my fault. I spend more time making repairs than anything else. But tomorrow will be a wash job then Thursday we will head out to enjoy the beneifits.

Get out there and check your brakes, makes a world of difference.
Whens the last time you checked them?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #159
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Hey Mr S,
It is nice when you get everything fixed and all that is left is a good wash! Glad you took the time to adjust the brakes. That makes a big difference. Even though you tow with a mini Peterbilt, good brakes are a must! You know some people here will tell you popped open hatches and latches is a tell tale sign of "unbalanced running gear" but I know you have centramatics installed, so your axles must have "taken a set" and the rubber rods have "solidified" and need replacing! It can't be just the two dollar catch. Could it? Hmmm...
See you soon and enjoy your trip this weekend!

Old 11-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #160
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Mr. S Thanks for detailing your restoration. I am just beginning mine on a '92 Excella 29'. Right down the line it looks like we have similar problems. It is nice to see that the work can be accomplished. I will look forward to posting pictures of mine along the way. I have also been following a couple of other floor repairs. Especially HiHoAgRV I really appreciate his work. Looks like Palmtreegirl and I will be working on the same projects this winter.

'92 Excella 29'
Dodge Ram 1500
AIR # 59179
TAC NC-12
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #161
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Hey Mr S,
It is nice when you get everything fixed and all that is left is a good wash! Glad you took the time to adjust the brakes. That makes a big difference. Even though you tow with a mini Peterbilt, good brakes are a must! You know some people here will tell you popped open hatches and latches is a tell tale sign of "unbalanced running gear" but I know you have centramatics installed, so your axles must have "taken a set" and the rubber rods have "solidified" and need replacing! It can't be just the two dollar catch. Could it? Hmmm...
See you soon and enjoy your trip this weekend!

Well Im not going to say that my axles couldnt be bad, the trailer does seem to ride low over the tires...Im just now starting to research axles and such.
When I adjusted my brakes I did notice that the tires do travel downward about 3 inches so I dont think that they are solidified.
Maybe you could share your some of the expert advice with me at the rally. If youd be so kind.
The main latch that I change out is this type:

Name:	IMG_0947.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	144449

There was three of them that no matter what I did they just didnt seem to latch. You could take one finger and open the cabinet with no resistance.
I have others through out the trailer that you really have to PULL to get them to pop open and they make a POP sound when you open them. So hopefully its not the ride that opening the cabinets but just the latch was worn out.

Maybe my mini Peterbuilt just has to much power!

I am also looking into a differnt hitch to soften the ride. I know some folks would scold me good if they seen my setup. Im working with what I got for now. But Im looking to better the situation. One day at a time.

Rome wasnt built in a day.....
Old 11-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #162
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillpoints View Post
Mr. S Thanks for detailing your restoration. I am just beginning mine on a '92 Excella 29'. Right down the line it looks like we have similar problems. It is nice to see that the work can be accomplished. I will look forward to posting pictures of mine along the way. I have also been following a couple of other floor repairs. Especially HiHoAgRV I really appreciate his work. Looks like Palmtreegirl and I will be working on the same projects this winter.

Chillpoints,

Thanks for that post! Im really glad that someone is getting helpful info from my thread. HiHoAgRV's thread was a GREAT help to me when I was doing my work.

Hang in there, the work can be done, but dont expect results all in one day, it takes time. Sometimes you have to walk away and come back and everything will fall in place. Its tuff, but I can assure you the rewards are worth it.

Good luck to you, if you get stumped be sure to ask, Ill help you out if I can, if I cant there is someone here that can!

Be sure to post lots of pics! We love to follow along, and you might be helping someone else along the way.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #163
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith84

Well Im not going to say that my axles couldnt be bad, the trailer does seem to ride low over the tires...Im just now starting to research axles and such.
When I adjusted my brakes I did notice that the tires do travel downward about 3 inches so I dont think that they are solidified.
Maybe you could share your some of the expert advice with me at the rally. If youd be so kind.
The main latch that I change out is this type:

There was three of them that no matter what I did they just didnt seem to latch. You could take one finger and open the cabinet with no resistance.
I have others through out the trailer that you really have to PULL to get them to pop open and they make a POP sound when you open them. So hopefully its not the ride that opening the cabinets but just the latch was worn out.

Maybe my mini Peterbuilt just has to much power!

I am also looking into a differnt hitch to soften the ride. I know some folks would scold me good if they seen my setup. Im working with what I got for now. But Im looking to better the situation. One day at a time.

Rome wasnt built in a day.....
Mr. S,
I was mostly just pulling your chain and poking fun at some "experts" analysis of problems. I know you are doing a great job of taking care of your Excella. I doubt that too many people will scold you for your hitch setup. Probably just people when sell hitches.
Take care.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #164
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Mr. S,
I was mostly just pulling your chain and poking fun at some "experts" analysis of problems. I know you are doing a great job of taking care of your Excella. I doubt that too many people will scold you for your hitch setup. Probably just people when sell hitches.
Take care.
I gottcha! Yea you prolly just hit the nail on the head.

I do the best I can, the ole boys not perfect, hes got his battle scares and war marks and blemishes. Took me a while to learn that they all have them. Guess thats what gives them their character.

Its not the greatest looking one on the road, but it sure gives me and Mrs. S a great feeling every time we hook up to it and roll out!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #165
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Well today I added two wall mounted flat screens to the Airstream.

Name:	image-968902339.png
Views:	75
Size:	921.4 KB
ID:	144879

This is a 19'' TV/DVD combo mounted to be watched from the couch area.

Name:	image-1641313468.png
Views:	72
Size:	870.4 KB
ID:	144880

Then I mounted this 15" TV/DVD combo for viewing pleasures while laying in bed.

Pretty cool huh?

Only thing is, should I take them down while traveling?
How do the newer AS do it. Surely they don't have to take them down huh?

I mounted them really solid. I'm thinking they should be good.

Opinions will be appreciated.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #166
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
The new ones use a mounting frame that allows the TV to be held flat against the wall and you have to release it to move the TV.

I've seen plenty of trailers with straps that are mounted behind the TV that wrap around it and buckle or velcro to hold the TV still during transport.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #167
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
I think the biggest concern is if they are on extendable frames so that it stays in place during transport.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #168
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Full Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
I think the biggest concern is if they are on extendable frames so that it stays in place during transport.

Mine are mounted on full montion stands. So they can swivel into about any positon. I got them where we think they are best for viewing and tighten them down really good. They are pretty tuff to move but Im not going to say their unmoveable.

Think I will look into a locking device, straps, or some other means of holding them in place during transport.

Thanks!

Tags
1993 excella, floor