Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1984 - 1989 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #1

2017 26' Flying Cloud
S. Miami , Florida
Where do I put a spare tire? Generator? Gas can?

We just bought a 1986 29' Sovereign. It didn't come with a spare tire, so we bought one, but now I don't know where to put it or how to mount it. Any ideas?

Then there is the generator. We bought a Honda 2000. We tried putting it in the clothes closet across from the bathroom, but it was too much weight for that floor. Now what? A welder told us he could extend the back bumper and build an aluminum box to hold the generator and another box for the gas can, without moving the license plate, (and mount the spare tire between the LP cylinders and the front of the trailer) for $2,400. The generator box would be vented and have an exhaust system so we could run the generator inside the locked box. Does that sound reasonable? Does anybody have a better suggestion (that wouldn't cost so much)?
MorelandBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
AS does not recommend any additional weight be added to the rear of the trailer / bumper ... some ignore that suggestion; You are suggesting quite a bit of weight with the fuel, box, and gen ... however, YMMV.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There is an under the floor spare tire mounting system which AS has used for many years. It is in the front, and you cut the belly pan to install it. Works very slick. Inland RV has them on their website to look at, your AS dealer also could order one for you. As I recall they are about $200 (plus installation costs).

I would put the generator in your tow vehicle. You probably should not put more weight on the rear of the frame, it simply was not designed for it and many have damaged their trailers doing that.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
as to the spare tire, this link will be helpful to you - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...ire-60087.html

the generator is another question - you'll find very few saddle mounted or otherwise integrated "inside" or "on" an Airstream trailer.

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorelandBE View Post
Then there is the generator. We bought a Honda 2000. … The generator box would be vented and have an exhaust system so we could run the generator inside the locked box. Does that sound reasonable? Does anybody have a better suggestion (that wouldn't cost so much)?
I would not put the generator inside an enclosure that was not made by Honda for that particular generator. The vents might end up in the wrong place or be the wrong size, and then you'd have cooling problems. Or it could collect rainwater through the vents and cause corrosion.

Besides, from a sound and vibration management viewpoint, the last place you want your generator is bolted to your trailer. Setting the generator on the ground— as far away as your shore power cable will reach— minimizes your sound levels at the trailer, and that would require keeping the generator portable.

I would suggest carrying the generator in your tow vehicle— IF your tow vehicle is a pickup so the generator and fuel can are not in the passenger compartment with you. If you're using an SUV or other tow vehicle without a separate cargo box, carry the generator and fuel can inside the trailer, tied down on a walking surface (ideally right by the door), and tow the trailer with the roof vents cracked open to vent gasoline fumes.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Good questions! Too many of us are carrying generators inside the tow vehicle - not a good practice, but options are limited unless you tow with a pickup truck. Inside the trailer, as suggested, might be a better option - IF you don't operate any propane burners (ie; Refrigerator). I carry my gasoline can on top of my battery box behind the propane tanks. As far as the rear bumper/frame - Airstream now markets a Fiamma bike rack that adds 100 lbs (carrier + bikes) supported on the rear chassis box beam, but that is for later models. Your Honda 2000 in an ActionPacker would weigh 60 lbs or so. A well-designed rear carrier should be feasible. I've researched, but not found a lightweight, compact design for an operating generator enclosure.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
We had one member with a 1964 build an enclosure behind the propane tanks for his Honda 2000 and dragged it all over the country without a problem. Mounting the spare under the living room is done frequently but you have to weatherproof it well to prevent getting a rotten floor. I carry mine in the truck cap.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Inside the trailer, as suggested, might be a better option - IF you don't operate any propane burners (ie; Refrigerator).
Good point! I forgot about that. Gasoline fumes and appliance pilot lights are not a good combination.

On the other hand, gasoline fumes and passengers aren't a good combination, either. There is another possibility, though, for carrying in the tow vehicle. Get a good-quality rooftop rack, and carry the generator and fuel cans up there. For SUVs that already have rooftop cargo bars, Cabela's offers this model:
Cabela's: Curt Roof Basket Cargo Carrier
Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Convert the genset to propane and put it wherever you want.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I find it hard to accept that a Honda 2000 is to heavy for any floor area in an Airstream. This also points out that the best tow vehicle is a pickup where you can carry all needs in a separate enclosed area....spare tire, wet dog, generator, blue boy, hoses, sewage hose, fuel tanks, etc. Probably impractical for some I realize.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
We use a Honda EU3000is generator. Since I don't tow with a pick-up truck and I won't put the generator in the back of my 4Runner I put it in the AS. I haven't found a sealed storage unit large enough for the generator, but I have found an alternative.

I use a very large dog crate for generator storage. The dog crate has a ledge (lip) in the front area that prevents the generator from rolling out. The generator has 2 wheels on the rear so it doesn't roll around very easily on its own. The crate fits very snugly between the 2 twin beds in the sleeping area of the AS. This location also positions the generator above the axles.

Before I put the generator in the crate I drain all the gas out of the tank and drain the carb. The crate also acts as camouflage of sorts when we're camping. It also mutes the sound of the generator a bit.

I just came back from a 2 week camping trip to Kansas (100 miles each way) and the AS had no smell of gas in it from the generator.

It works!
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Just to be clear, we only store the generator in the crate in the AS when we are traveling, we don't run the generator in the AS.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
I carry my gasoline can on top of my battery box behind the propane tanks.
My gawd! That sounds like a recipe for a mushroom cloud if I ever heard one...
You might want to rethink that setup...
Old 09-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd View Post

Before I put the generator in the crate I drain all the gas out of the tank and drain the carb. The crate also acts as camouflage of sorts when we're camping. It also mutes the sound of the generator a bit.

Quote:
Just to be clear, we only store the generator in the crate in the AS when we are traveling, we don't run the generator in the AS.
Then how does it mute the sound?

I agree that you shouldn't run the generator in the crate, but you had me wondering about muting the sound.

Or does your generator make noise when it's not running.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Then how does it mute the sound?

I agree that you shouldn't run the generator in the crate, but you had me wondering about muting the sound.
I probably wasn't clear. My post made it appear that we ran the generator while it was located in the AS. We don't.

We do run the generator in the crate when it is outside of the Airstream. The crate has open spaces on two sides and one end is open where the grate for the pup would usually be attached. This provides plenty of airflow for intake and exhaust. The end of the crate where the 30 amp cable is plugged into the gen is closed. The exhaust points out the open end of the crate. The Honda Gen gets plenty of air circulation when it runs in the crate.

I measured the db level of the generator running in and out of the crate at 20 feet. The load was minimal (AS plugged in and the converter charging the battery) and the gen was on eco. I don't remember the numbers (I didn't write them down), but it was quieter with the crate top on. Something like 3-5db quieter. I need to change the oil in the gen this weekend, so I'll measure it in and out of the crate and post the results.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
I probably wasn't clear. My post made it appear that we ran the generator while it was located in the AS. We don't.

We do run the generator in the crate when it is outside of the Airstream. The crate has open spaces on two sides and one end is open where the grate for the pup would usually be attached. This provides plenty of airflow for intake and exhaust. The end of the crate where the 30 amp cable is plugged into the gen is closed. The exhaust points out the open end of the crate. The Honda Gen gets plenty of air circulation when it runs in the crate.

I measured the db level of the generator running in and out of the crate at 20 feet. The load was minimal (AS plugged in and the converter charging the battery) and the gen was on eco. I don't remember the numbers (I didn't write them down), but it was quieter with the crate top on. Something like 3-5db quieter. I need to change the oil in the gen this weekend, so I'll measure it in and out of the crate and post the results.
OK, makes sense.

With the exhaust pointing out the open end, you don't have to worry about melting the crate either.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
OK, makes sense.

With the exhaust pointing out the open end, you don't have to worry about melting the crate either.
Exactly!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
My gawd! That sounds like a recipe for a mushroom cloud if I ever heard one...
You might want to rethink that setup...
BillTex;

Actually, I have thought about this, but would seriously appreciate a better suggestion. I don't tow with a pickup and don't plan to do so. My tow vehicle is diesel, so there is no option to simply siphon gasoline as needed.

My 2 gal CARB gas container sits on a rubber mat on top of the (AGM) battery box, secured by a strap, protected front and rear, shaded from sun, very well-ventilated, inspected at every stop. Can you suggest a better location? Can you describe the scenario for the 'mushroom cloud'? Where do you carry a gasoline container while under way?

Inside a Thule roof top box is an option, but not as secure or well ventilated.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Good point! I forgot about that. Gasoline fumes and appliance pilot lights are not a good combination.

On the other hand, gasoline fumes and passengers aren't a good combination, either. There is another possibility, though, for carrying in the tow vehicle. Get a good-quality rooftop rack, and carry the generator and fuel cans up there. For SUVs that already have rooftop cargo bars, Cabela's offers this model:
Cabela's: Curt Roof Basket Cargo Carrier
PRO -
Appreciate the suggestion. I considered that option. My Yamaha 2400i is a bit heavy to be tossing up to a roof rack, and I would want it in a lockable container for protection. I wouldn't bother carrying a smaller generator that wouldn't run the aircon. Solar takes care of our charging requirements.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
PRO -
Appreciate the suggestion. I considered that option. My Yamaha 2400i is a bit heavy to be tossing up to a roof rack, and I would want it in a lockable container for protection.
Not a bad place to carry fuel cans, though. I bought the roof rack for my Durango specifically to carry extra fuel for hurricane evacuations.