Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
Fuse makes clicking noise

Fuse makes clicking noise, and our Radio turns on and off, on and off. I know my battery is bad but this is happening while the AC inverter is on. This is a new one on me since I don't really understand the resetting fuses. Anyone seen this and corrected it?
Tiger Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
It sounds like a auto resetting circuit breaker instead of a fuse to me...Regardless, I suspect you have a short. The short trips the circuit breaker and cuts the power. The circuit breaker cools resets and the power comes back on.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Small silver can a bit larger than the standard mini fuse? If so it's a common mini breaker.
Most likely short circuit. The speed at which it cycles indicates how bad the short is. If it takes a while to reset it's either just at it's amperage range or is begining to fail.
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Replace it with one of the same size. If the clicking continues you are drawing too much current through that circuit. If not it was a weak breaker.

If it clicks with the new breaker look at the loads on the circuit to see if you have added a new load that was not considered when built. If no new load you may have a short in the wiring, not that likely but it is possible.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
What type/model of Airstream is this on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Tail View Post
Fuse makes clicking noise, and our Radio turns on and off, on and off. I know my battery is bad but this is happening while the AC inverter is on. This is a new one on me since I don't really understand the resetting fuses. Anyone seen this and corrected it?
What type of Airstream is this on? Is it coming from where the blade fuses are locate
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
Well its fixed. I miss stated,they are not fuses they are auto reseting breakers. I put the shower wall back in and the exposed wires for the ceiling light got stuck together. Easy fix. But I sure like how this forum rallies to help a fella Airstream error out! Thanks guys Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all.
Tiger Tail is offline   Reply With Quote