Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
longmont , Colorado
specs on '64 safari

hello all, new to the as scene but anticipating adventures, ive purchased a '64 safari long distance, thinking to use my 2k land rover to pick it up next year.
so... some essential info would be helpful
what is the tongue height of the safari....
what is the tongue weight....
what kind of connection does the safari harness have, 4 or 7, flat or round pins....
was there a braking system original on the trailer....

what else do i need to know.... i will arrange to have the tires, bearings, and lights, and brakes if installed, checked before i arrive to pull it 500 miles to my house for more thorough preparation before a three month road trip to start in the fall of '13.

advice welcome, appreciated
thanks, glarue

Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
NA

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude , WNY
Welcome Aboard....

glarue

This may help...

The 6way was the original style connector that was on our 63 Safari...
It will have to be changed over to the newer style.

Good luck with the Safari...we loved ours.

Bob

Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

longmont , Colorado
hello bob, thanks for the note.
ive read through the 'preparing for the first tow article,' very helpful overview.
yet getting the wiring harness assembly ready may be tricky.
glarue
Old 12-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
NA

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude , WNY
The "hardest" thing for me when I picked up our 63.... reversing the wire location in my head as I looked at the trailer plug end.

If you take your time and use a test light it's pretty easy to get the wires straight. Make your own diagram, write down the connections, as the wire color and location will be different.

Bob
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Keller , Texas
The best option would be to get the PO to send you a photo of the connector on the trailer. It might have been changed since the trailer was built.

Be aware that these connectors are often badly mis wired by trailer owners. Robert Cross's advice about using a test light and taking your time is spot on.

Our '66 Safari had the 6-pin connector originally. We used an adapter from the auto supply store to connect to the 7-pin on our truck for a couple of years, then converted the trailer to 7-pin. If you choose this option, be careful to get the correct adapter. Ours had the 12 volt lead in the center pin.

If you need an adapter, send me a PM with your mailing address. I have a brand new one that I've been meaning to get rid of. If you need one in a hurry, most auto supply stores carry them.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
The "hardest" thing for me when I picked up our 63.... reversing the wire location in my head as I looked at the trailer plug end.

If you take your time and use a test light it's pretty easy to get the wires straight. Make your own diagram, write down the connections, as the wire color and location will be different.

Bob
good tip. im inexperienced with electric so it will be a slow process, but this seems to be to surest procedure.
thanks, glarue
Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
specs on '64 safari

Greetings glarue!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of 1964 Airstreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarue View Post
hello all, new to the as scene but anticipating adventures, ive purchased a '64 safari long distance, thinking to use my 2k land rover to pick it up next year.
so... some essential info would be helpful
what is the tongue height of the safari....
what is the tongue weight....
Bear in mind that the figures published by Airstream for the 1964 travel trailers reflect a base model coach with no options or accessories, and empty holding tanks. The 1964 Airstream Safari had the following:
  • 1964 Safari Two Sleeper
    • 2,890 Pounds Dry Weight
    • 385 Pounds Hitch Weight
    • 19.5" Hitch Height (probably less now)
  • 1964 Safari Twin
    • 3,100 Pounds Dry Weight
    • 305 Pounds Hitch Weight
  • 1964 Safari Double
I have attached a pdf of the Airstream weights and measures document for your information.

Quote:
what kind of connection does the safari harness have, 4 or 7, flat or round pins....
The 1964 Airstreams came from the factory with a 7-pin round connector as standard equipment. The factory wiring diagram for the original pin is attached to my message as a pdf file. You will note that the color coding does not match up with today's standard nor does the pin out. You probably have about a 50% chance of finding that the coach has been rewired to the current industry standard with a 7-blade RV connector. The choice is yours, but I would highly recommend the heavy-duty 7-pin round connector on both trailer and tow vehicle as they are far less prone to problems with corrosion. I didn't believe that the round pins could make such a difference, but I haven't had a problem with corossion in my trailer connectors in the four seasons since making the switch . . . it was an annual task to disassemble and clean the contacts on the blade connectors to remove the corossion.

Quote:
was there a braking system original on the trailer....
The 1964 Airstreams were equipped with Kelsey Hayes Electric Trailer Brakes as standard equipment. I believe that they measured 2" by 12", but am not absolutely certain as I believe some of the smaller coaches may have had 2" x 10".

Quote:
what else do i need to know.... i will arrange to have the tires, bearings, and lights, and brakes if installed, checked before i arrive to pull it 500 miles to my house for more thorough preparation before a three month road trip to start in the fall of '13.
You will want to be certain that you have a functioning trailer brake controller on your tow vehicle as well as at least a Class III receiver hitch. Your choice of weight distribution equipment, but my recommendation would be Reese Strait-Line with Dual Cam Sway Control with nor more than 600 pound weight distribution bars. The factory hitch height was 19.5", but if the coach has not had a new axle installed, you will likely find that the hitch height is around 16.5". You may find that you need new wheels before new tires can be installed if the coach has its original split-rims that most tire stores will no longer service. Your hitch will also need a heavy duty 2" ball, and you may have to do some searching to find one with a 6,000 pound or greater weight rating . . . most of the 2" balls carried by mass merchandisers carry a weight rating of 3,000 pounds. A heavy duty 2" ball can usually be sourced through a well-stocked RV dealer's service department or a horse trailer dealership.

Good luck with your '64 Safari!

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream weights and measures.pdf (100.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: pdf 7wayplug1964-65.pdf (28.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf 1964 Airstream Brochure.pdf (1.51 MB, 34 views)
File Type: pdf 1964 Airstream factory photos.pdf (3.13 MB, 31 views)
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
The best option would be to get the PO to send you a photo of the connector on the trailer. It might have been changed since the trailer was built.

Be aware that these connectors are often badly mis wired by trailer owners. Robert Cross's advice about using a test light and taking your time is spot on.

Our '66 Safari had the 6-pin connector originally. We used an adapter from the auto supply store to connect to the 7-pin on our truck for a couple of years, then converted the trailer to 7-pin. If you choose this option, be careful to get the correct adapter. Ours had the 12 volt lead in the center pin.

If you need an adapter, send me a PM with your mailing address. I have a brand new one that I've been meaning to get rid of. If you need one in a hurry, most auto supply stores carry them.
thats a good idea, to find out whats on the trailer now. being far away it is a bit awkward but conversation will answer the basic question then i can work from there.
thanks, glarue
Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings glarue!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of 1964 Airstreams!

Bear in mind that the figures published by Airstream for the 1964 travel trailers reflect a base model coach with no options or accessories, and empty holding tanks. The 1964 Airstream Safari had the following:
  • 1964 Safari Two Sleeper
    • 2,890 Pounds Dry Weight
    • 385 Pounds Hitch Weight
  • 1964 Safari Twin
  • 1964 Safari Double
I have attached a pdf of the Airstream weights and measures document for your information.

The 1964 Airstreams came from the factory with a 7-pin round connector as standard equipment. The factory wiring diagram for the original pin is attached to my message as a pdf file. You will note that the color coding does not match up with today's standard nor does the pin out. You probably have about a 50% chance of finding that the coach has been rewired to the current industry standard with a 7-blade RV connector. The choice is yours, but I would highly recommend the heavy-duty 7-pin round connector on both trailer and tow vehicle as they are far less prone to problems with corrosion. I didn't believe that the round pins could make such a difference, but I haven't had a problem with corossion in my trailer connectors in the four seasons since making the switch . . . it was an annual task to disassemble and clean the contacts on the blade connectors to remove the corossion.

The 1964 Airstreams were equipped with Kelsey Hayes Electric Trailer Brakes as standard equipment. I believe that they measured 2" by 12", but am not absolutely certain as I believe some of the smaller coaches may have had 2" x 10".

You will want to be certain that you have a functioning trailer brake controller on your tow vehicle as well as at least a Class III receiver hitch. Your choice of weight distribution equipment, but my recommendation would be Reese Strait-Line with Dual Cam Sway Control with nor more than 600 pound weight distribution bars. The factory hitch height was 19.5", but if the coach has not had a new axle installed, you will likely find that the hitch height is around 16.5". You may find that you need new wheels before new tires can be installed if the coach has its original split-rims that most tire stores will no longer service. Your hitch will also need a heavy duty 2" ball, and you may have to do some searching to find one with a 6,000 pound or greater weight rating . . . most of the 2" balls carried by mass merchandisers carry a weight rating of 3,000 pounds. A heavy duty 2" ball can usually be sourced through a well-stocked RV dealer's service department or a horse trailer dealership.

Good luck with your '64 Safari!

Kevin
this is all very helpful. im beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed by all the characteristics of the recently purchased trailer that im not aware of. at least now i know what to ask about and how to prepare the tow vehicle.
im grateful for such helpful advice from every one.
thanks, glarue