Old 12-28-2003, 08:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Using axle jacks

In reading the postings on the forum, it seems to me that perhaps I'm missing something regarding the use of axle jacks. We have a 02-19' & when we setup, the only jacks I'm using are the tongue & the rear stablizers. While I have seen the marking under the trailer for where to place a jack, I assumed it was for just changing a flat. No one, nor anywhere in the owners manual does it state one needs to place additional jacks when using the trailer. While I would assume it wouldn't hurt, is it really needed?
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Axle Jacks really are just for changing tires or working on brakes and bearings... While you might elect to add front stabilizers in lieu of tongue jack, the rears and the front tongue jack are used to take weight off springs, and stabilize the trailer when you're parked and camping.

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:33 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Can't you buy some blocks for stabilization? I would think that a jack would be a bit 'shakey'.
I'm planning on boondocking alot, so I should go with some sort of supplies for this.

Love the 'Condoluminum'

Deb
Old 03-02-2004, 11:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Post Jacks, Blocks and Stabilizers, Cont'd..

Message about blocks to stabilize implies some additional uncertainties about leveling and stabilizing trailers, so here is more detailed primer...

1. Jacks are tyically lifters on front frame of trailer (power or crank) and also tripod/screw devices that can be placed under frame on ground and lift up surfaces.

2. Stabilizers are made by BAL and others, mount to trailer frame, and crank DOWN to contact ground and lift (slightly) trailer. Most trailers have one on each side in rear, some have total of 4, with one at each corner.

3. Blocks of wood or plastic are used under wheels to get trailer level side to side, and could possibly be used under jacks or stabilizers on wet soft ground.

4. Jacks or stabilizers won't lift wheels off ground, but are designed to eliminate bouncing motion on spring suspension of trailer when parked. Neither are they designed to lift enough to level the unit more than a few degrees (except perhaps some of hydraulic jacks under motorhomes..)

Parking process is to get close to level side to side, using blocks under tires if necessary to raise one side or other. Step two is to unhitch tow vehicle and use front trailer jack to get front to back level. Once that's done, you can use stabilizers or corner jacks to firm up position and eliminate bouncing motions in position. At that point it's OK to use refrigerator or do other things requiring level trailer. You can do similar process without unhooking if site relatively level, but DO remember checklist to retract or remove jacks before unhooking and driving off...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Don't use the stabilizer jacks to lift your trailer and don't jack up your trailer using the X mark for the jack that is at the frame towards the rear. I tried that accordng to the AS manual and it began to warp the unit so I could not close the door. Place a jack on the frame that supports the wheels and axels. You can take some of the weight off the springs by lifting it about two inches. It is recomended by Airstream for long parking times. I use two 15 ton screw jacks, they seem to work fine. There is a thread on this forum that addresses this issue.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:39 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Using axle jacks

Tinsel Loaf---The last time this issuse was raised I e-mail the A/S tech line---Question??? Raising the trl for a tire change--Thier reply " To jack up the trl you will need to jack on the main frame rail just behind the wheel. This should have a sticker and an extra piece of small square metal riveted to this area. Never jack on the axle or at one end of the trailer, doing so will knock the alignment out." This was from Mitch Baily A/S customer rep ---dated 11-14-03. From your experiance it just doesn't fit. You just never know.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote