Old 07-07-2004, 04:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Travel with refrigerator on?

What is the scoop on traveling with the refrigerator on LP? I know about road/tunnel issues related to having the gas on, but need to know if it is bad for the refrigerator.

Planning a big, long trip and would like to carry some parishables with me. Plan on driving 4-6 hours with 2 hour rests in between. Thought I would turn the refrigerator on while resting, but don't think it will stay cold enough. Maybe leave it on alternating driving periods? Leave it on all the time?

Thanks!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydc
What is the scoop on traveling with the refrigerator on LP? I know about road/tunnel issues related to having the gas on, but need to know if it is bad for the refrigerator.

Planning a big, long trip and would like to carry some parishables with me. Plan on driving 4-6 hours with 2 hour rests in between. Thought I would turn the refrigerator on while resting, but don't think it will stay cold enough. Maybe leave it on alternating driving periods? Leave it on all the time?

Thanks!
And the answer is? Leave it on.
In other discussions the consensus is it works just fine.
Check it so often to see that it does not get blown out.
You must shut it off while fueling in some states.
It's a good idea to do it in every state though.

Old 07-07-2004, 05:19 PM   #3
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Also, I don't think turning it on for 2 hours at a time would do very much. It seems to take overnight to reach temperature.

They say the rocking back and forth while towing keeps the *stuff* in the fridge from getting blocked. Like when its run off level for extended periods of time.

So it should not hurt the fridge to leave it on while towing.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Again, turn it off before refueling. Get in the habit. Nothing will ever happen until the time you decide to not shut off... One of our fellow posters says he passes by a gas station if there is another RV there. Is that like assuming the gun is always loaded?
Old 07-07-2004, 06:09 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Garrison
Again, turn it off before refueling. Get in the habit. Nothing will ever happen until the time you decide to not shut off... One of our fellow posters says he passes by a gas station if there is another RV there. Is that like assuming the gun is always loaded?
You probably are quoting me. I run with my fridge on, but I'm always careful to turn it off prior to fueling and not turning it on till I'm clear of the pump area. While I can trust myself, I don't trust others and will steer clear of stations where other RV's are fueling. Maybe I am paranoid but it doesn't hurt to assume that gun is loaded...

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Excellent! Thanks for the advice. It sure will be nice to be able to stock a few things before leaving. Having food aboard ought to save some time on the ride out.

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
no not lpg

Quote:

Thanks!

I would suggest that you run on 12volt or use an inverter 12dc > 120ac.
I have read that running with propane on in a trailer can be a date with disaster. If I can be of more help let me know.

Wolf
Old 07-07-2004, 10:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Quote:

Thanks!
I just returned from the Homecoming, visiting the kids, and three weeks at the international rally. My fridge was on gas the whole time. It travels on gas just fine. I do check the pilot light regularly when traveling just in case it blows out but, it never has.
I wouldn't want my alternator trying to support the fridge on electric while traveling.

Also, this spring while returning from Texas, a customer had a auto shutoff malfunction while he was in a quick mart and fueling at same time. Have you ever seen a puddle of gasoline running all over the ground. Wouldn't want my fridge on and anywhere near that kind of situation. It happens !!!!!!!!!!!! I had just pulled away from pumps and was checking tires, etc.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Numerous debates ~

This debate of running your refrigerator while traveling has been written about, numerous seminaries have referred to it, but the fact still remains:
There are no hard, cold, (no pun intented here) evidences to back up this safety(?) issue, percentage wise. The safest thing to do is, as jcarnavel, has mention. Assume the worse at refueling station.
Otherwise, obey the local laws when it comes to tunnels, bridges,etc.
Alot can be said for "common sense" here..
Personally, I seldom travel with fresh food in the frig, perferring to buy fresh meat, etc., locally when I arrive at an area for my stay. There are times when I'll purchase a large bag of ice to supplement my frig function. Again, it just depends. The useage of propane is only an safety issue where noted. when refueling or, when crossing a bridge/tunnel where it's request you turn off the propane tank.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
We have left our's on almost all of the time when driving. Although we have a diesel, fueling around any combustable with an open flame is dangerous, use caution and shut it off. Our previous (SOB) had a 12vdc mode that we used when towing.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:33 AM   #11
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Here was a poll done about traveling with a gas fridge on or not.

Fridge Poll
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Thanks~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Here was a poll done about traveling with a gas fridge on or not.
Fridge Poll
Tim,
Thanks for the link,
This is interesting reading. I can remember when it was being debated at the time and, this is a great time to bring it back up-front once more.
ciao
53FC

ps
Nothing new to report from down under...still
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 08:12 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Hobe Sound , Florida
Problem I don't know how to fix - when traveling with fridge on LP, the pilot must blow out - this has happened every time we go out. We have just recently traded for an 02 31' Classic. We will travel 30 minutes & stop to check fridge. Never fails, the auto switch is in "check" mode and the fridge is not on. Local dealer doesn't know what is causing this.

We traded our 86 Sovereign - she never had a problem with the fridge.

Thanks for any replies.

Jen
Old 07-10-2004, 09:12 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Talking Blue ice and frozen food

We bought a 19' Bambi Safari in May, moving up from a 19' HI LO Funlite. When we make preparations for travel we freeze some of the food and some blue ice packs. We use the blue ice packs to keep the fridge cool. We pack the frozen food and some blue ice packs in the freezer. We travel with the fridge off. Everything stays cold, even through the high desert country in the Columbia Basin (temperatures in the 90s and no clouds in sight) and during travel in Utah high desert in August. Each morning we rotate that night's dinner (ie, the frozen meat) along with a couple of blue ice packs to the fridge from the freezer compartment. At night we rotate the blue ice up to the freezer to re-freeze it. That way we save gas and don't worry. Of course, we have always had only a 4 cubic foot frig but this method works just fine. By the way, we don't pack "prepared foods": we use fresh meat, eggs, milk, butter, cheese and vegetables (and of course, beer) so the frig is important to us. We never have to worry about refueling stops etc. One word of warning: don't overpack the refrigerator; it will take too long to cool down when it is turned on.

We had no idea that people travelled with the refrigerators on until we began to read this thread. The discussion about the danger of having the gas on and refueling is exactly the reason why we had never thought of leaving the propane on during travel. Now we are really going to think twice before we stop at gas stations where other RV's are fueling!