Old 04-03-2003, 04:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master
The water heater is the only thing I travel with full. I put 10 gal. or so fresh water in the tank before leaving home, then turn on the pump and open a hot water faucet to fill the hot water tank.

This gives me a few gallons of fresh water to use on the road, if necessary, and I need only finish filling the fresh water tank when we arrive at our destination and we have the maximum fresh water capacity.

It is amazing how long it took for me to figure that out, by the way.

j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 04:56 PM   #16
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois

Those are good points and I didn't consider it. Is there any metallic taste in from the water in the tank. Kind of a silly question, but since I don't use it.........

Also, I know the weight issue and all with about 30 gallons of water, but the places I go, the water from pumps has a very high iron content. It made the tank in our SOB somewhat discolored. I tried CLR and other things, yet it was stained beyond repair. Plus the taste is not all that great. I can filter all the water I place into the main tank against lead, and other things and save the room I would bring bottled water in for other stuff. The only issue is the head, I spend some of the water on flushing, so some of it is a waste more or less, but I know the water that is in the main fresh tank is pure based on the water quality reports the EPA does here on the town water supply and the fact that I use a dual filter system before going into the tank plus a Brita on top of that.

I know, a bit much, but you should see what they did to Lake Michigan in the 70s, it took years for it to get back to acceptable.....guess that kind of answers a bunch of questions about me though (all that water we drank from the Lake in the 70s)...

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 06:48 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Thanks for all of the info. When I bought the Bambi, I bought all of the options. The only thing that I don't like on the Bambi is the color of the awning which is a grayish brown.

Has anyone bought an inverter. Has anyone taken out the rug and put in a floating floor? I guess that I will spend a little time this weekend getting used to my Bambi after I add a 30amp line to plug the camper into for electricity.

Ed & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 11:35 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
replacing carpet with other type of floor

Ed, Nancy,
Take a look at my photos. We did remove the carpet and put down an industrial grade vinyl. It is a lot of work as the carpet is put down prior to the cabinetry. Once you get the carpet up, you have a subfloor that is not adequate for vinyl, but would be okay for Pergo or such. I have used Pergo, and did consider using it, but wound up with the more involved process of laying a layer of luane and then applying the vinyl as the look we wanted was a vinyl product. I wish A/S would stop this foolishness with carpet. I have yet to find ANYONE that likes it.
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Hate the carpet!

The tan carpet shows every bit of dirt, leaves, etc. I have to spot clean the carpet after each trip.

I wish I would have known about the vinyl floor otion when I bought.

I intend to put cork in the galley area. I'm starting to seriously think about cork for all but the bedroom area.

In my old TrailManor, I replaced the blue carpet (worse than the tan!) with a salt and pepper pattern Berber carpet from HD. It was great. Wonder why Airstream doesn't use something like Berber.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 02:26 PM   #20
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I too had no idea that the carpet was optional. I figure, it's not that bad (although had I known of the option, I might have ordered mine). Once the carpet goes south, and it will, I think I'm going Pergo.

Old 04-04-2003, 02:50 PM   #21

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
check out my pix of my pergo installation in my photo album. glad to get rid of the smelly old carpet....
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 03:01 PM   #22
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think those are the photos I saw a few weeks ago that made me feel like I could take the plastic off the carpet and where I got the idea for Pergo.

Nice job.

Old 04-04-2003, 03:43 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
Bigfork , Montana
Gotta agree on the carpet in the Bambi. It sure shows all the dirt. But, my wife likes the warmth, especially on the cold mornings in the mountains, so until the carpet gets bad, we're gonna live with it. If we still have the Bambi at that time, then Pergo, hardwood or cork are my choices.
Rick Klein
Seeking another Bambi
'08 Honda Ridgeline
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 12:37 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

I wish A/S would stop this foolishness with carpet. I have yet to find ANYONE that likes it.

Yes, I totally agree. I will eventually replace the carpet in mine (32' excella) with something that's easier to take care of. I hate carpets in general

Justice - When you get what you deserve. Mercy - When you don't get what you deserve
Grace - When you get what you don't deserve
ipso_facto is offline   Reply With Quote