Old 12-10-2003, 10:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
I'm somewhat out of the loop being a motorhome owner, but I would go with the replacement option. God knows these insurance companies can afford it. However, if you don't have the replacement coverage, like me, here's some food for thought. You've done a good job of documenting this unfortunate event. Maybe you can present this to Airstream as a PR opportunity...they wouldn't total a real one for a commercial ad, but reality? They may consider something like this and cover the repairs later. This would make a great ad for showing how safe these babies are, especially when people are still inside!

Whatever you decide, thank your Guardian Angels, and just remember, this too shall pass.

Old 12-10-2003, 10:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Glad to hear you are OK!!,

I would say lucky and unlucky you, unlucky Airstream for sure.

I would also say it is beyond repair but probably has some decent salvage value, maybe a few grand?? I am sure Inland Andy could tell us more as he has probably seen a few like this in all his years.

Chas

Old 12-10-2003, 12:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
If the tree was dead and the campground left it standing it is a safety hazard. I would think the Campground is responsible for not maintaining the property.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:26 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by 59toaster
If the tree was dead and the campground left it standing it is a safety hazard. I would think the Campground is responsible for not maintaining the property.
That's true, but if you look at all the pictures, you'll see that the tree actually appears to have unrooted itself, not just a limb falling on it.

It would be my guess that it is an act of god and as such the campground might not be liable as there would have been no way to tell or prevent this from happening. Now I say this because looking closer at the photos, you see few leaves on any of the trees so the tree that fell might not be dead after all (most of the green showing is evergreen).

I agree it might be a total.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:44 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Value

In my area you can't find a used 2003 for sale and if you can find one its still new on a lot somwhere else in the USA. Sad thing is I really like the interiors of the 2003 better than the 2004. Airstream doesn't put the wraparound curtains and valances in the new ones.

I am going to take a break from the trailer sailor buissness for awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my pictures0012.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	4068  
Old 12-10-2003, 12:53 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Check with Sutton RV to see what he thinks.....

www.gmsrv.com

If you like the curtains, take them off the existing unit and xfer them to the new one if you decide to get another one.

As for the price of an '03, I just got $25,900 on trade (what I paid for it new). There are still a few dealers asking near $30k for a new '03 Bambi and the '04s had a price increase, so work with State Farm. If they are clueless, then you have the advantage.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 12-10-2003, 05:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

CampCollector,

Just spoke to "Steve" at George Sutton RV, and he says they have an '03 22 ft International AS (as oppsed to the CCD) this one has the dinette over the curb-side tires) , and has a wish price of $29,995.00
You might be able to talk them down a bit if they are motivated.
Glad you weren't hurt. Things will work out.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:25 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
One thing about the 22' International is that the side dinette on one side of the dinette near the curb has the wheel well covers that make it very hard for 4 folks to use it.

Check one out....

Eric
Old 12-10-2003, 05:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Slivertwinkie,

If I'm not mistaken, the 22 ft International "CCD" has the curbside dinette. The "AS" has the road-side dinette with the bed that runs long-wise up front. It may have the wheel boxes under the dinette as well. This is what George Sutton RV has in the form of '03 Intern'l AS.Airstream. The "CCD"bed runs cross-wise.
I was trying to find a viable unit to replace CampCollector's Bambi.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:01 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Whoa there TEX

Thanks for the help guys but lets just see what happens with my Bambi before we all get on the wagon and hitch up a new horse.
Beside I like the new 25ft International Blue streek with the front sofa. Also the 22ft doesn't have the dual battery box or the larger propane tanks, and the shower is different, Im 6 foot tall and in the 22ft AS shower, my head hit the ceiling.

Good things come to those who wait
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my pictures0017.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	4071  
Old 12-10-2003, 06:11 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bus,

You're right about the CCD vs the AS. The CCD is a bit nicer but as you pointed out it too might have the same issue. The dinette on the CCD is just a bit further back than it is on the AS on the other side.

I've not been in a CCD, but have been in the AS. Not a big fan of that one. Compared to the Bambi it's a very different camper. The only thing I liked about the 22' units was that they had a dual axle. Some of the same other compalints collector mentions were also why I didn't care too much for the 22 foooters as well.

All in all, I agree the 25' make the most sense to me after the Bambi..so much so, I'm trading my Bambi for a 25' Safari.

I noticed that you had a Jeep, was that your tow vehicle for the Bambi?

Eric
Old 12-10-2003, 06:15 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here is the AS version:
Old 12-10-2003, 06:16 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here is the CCD version....it looks to me like they both have the wheel well hump.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:20 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Jeep Cherokee

Yes the jeep is the tow vehicle for the Bambi.
Though it can do the job, It struggles. I was about to by a new Dodge Ram 3/4 ton truck with a Hemi as my new tow vehicle (Bright Silver with chrome/ Laramie package) But Now I will have to wait and see what the future holds.

I do not reccommend the Jeep cherokee classic to anyone who is considering it as a tow vehicle. The 4.0 liter is a strong engine but the jeeps short wheelbase and lack of wheight make it a poor tow vehicle for long hauls or a comfortable driving expierience with this size of trailer.

Get a truck or Large SUV