Old 07-01-2003, 05:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Safari Tim

Make sure that your roof vant is unobstructed.

A fan will help your situation even with a roof vent. It gave me an extra few degrees of cold in my old Scamp which had a roof vent.

Camping World and just about every RV place sells vent fans. Some of them are even solar powered. In my old Scamp, I simply bought a used computer muffin fan for a couple of dollars and cut a mount for it out of aluminum angle.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Bambi and International owners

If you think about it, that fan hanging there at the louvers is not more than about 25% efficient in moving air. Air will take the path of least resistance and most of the air entering the fan from the bottom and sides never made it to the finned radiator. There is probably some recirculation as well.

I replaced the fan with a much lower powered, quieter fan and installed a crude baffle from scrap aluminum so that most of the air entering the fan is pulled from the area of the finned radiator. I can barely hear the fan now and the refrigerator works fine. The existing fan could very easily be quieted with a resistor in series.

WBCCI #9632
Old 07-01-2003, 05:34 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Safari tim,

If your refer is original, or old enough to have a drivers liscense it may be helped by a flue cleaning. Rust forms on the heat exchanger and can insulate it form the flame, making the refer less efficent. A fan shooting air straight up to assist the natural air flow will do wonders too. I have one that came off a large CPU heat sink, It moves a ton of air and allows me to freeze stuff in the refer no matter the outside temps.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:36 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Pahaska,
Interesting that you mentioned that you replaced that refrig fan, as I did the same on our '02 Bambi. As you noted, it was noisy and given its placement DIRECTLY against the exterior louvered door, most of its air flow was blocked. I installed a significantly thinner and slightly larger design that is much quieter and I now have a significant airflow out of almost all the louvers on the upper door. This new unit turns at a lower RPM and has blades with more surface area to turn a higher volume of air. Being thinner, it sits well behind the outside door, unlike the original. The whole idea of the fan was not so much to directly cool the condenser, but to ensure that the heat was removed from the upper area of the enclosure so as to allow the condenser to do its job properly. I have also thought about changing the design even more by using a set of CPU cooler fans that would mount underneath the entire length of the condenser along with a baffle to ensure that the exhaust above the condenser vents to door (not into the enclosure) and that the intake to the fans is from below (so as to not circulate the hot air). I think several of the small CPU fans might be quieter yet than a single high volume, low RPM unit, but I need to do some further investigation.

On the thermostat setting, we too have to be VERY careful. Set the thermostat much above 4 and it turns into a deep freeze. We have NOT noticed any difference in cooling ability with regards to outside temp.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:46 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just pulled apart the wiring on mine and there is not an inline fuse anywhere on the power lines.

I think my fan might be dead or the sensor has gone south.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 06:18 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
I am certainly no expert on thermostats, although I will say that the settings for the refrigerator seem fairly simple. We generally set the temp at 4 and get good cooling in the main box and freezing in the freezer box. I have noticed that at this setting, on one occasion when camping in sub freezing weather, our salad fixings froze, the next night I set the thermostat back a bit and no freezing occured. Perhaps this was due to other causes I am overlooking. In hot weather, I can still get very good refrigeration, and the vent fan, as supplied by Airstream seems to help in the efficiency (I've run the reefer with the fan operating and without and did notice a difference as to the initial time it takes to reach an acceptable cold level). I do agree that it is a bit loud, but I generally am not in the trailer, nor around it for that matter, during the day when the fan is running. I like the idea of a quieter, more efficient fan if ever the sound becomes a problem and appreciate the suggestions.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 07:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Similat thoughts

Quote:
I think several of the small CPU fans might be quieter yet than a single high volume, low RPM unit, but I need to do some further investigation.
I wandered into a surplus store a couple of years ago and found a bin of huge heat sinks with 2" muffin fans attached for $1 each. I bought 10 on the spot. I have been experimenting with the little fans and found that if I series them in pairs, they are completely silent but still move quite a bit of air. I have been thinking of putting 6 fans across in 3 sets of 2 in series in just the manner that you have described. However, since my low power fan with a baffle works so well, I probably won't bother.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-01-2003, 09:14 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
success

I replaced my existing fan with two smaller 3 inch models and hooked them in series. They are much quiter and they do not make the vibration against the aluminum shell like the old one because I mounted them directly to the refrigerator fins. They do a fine job of evacuating the hot air.

Just in case I relocated the old fan to the bottem vent and installed a toggle switch so I can leave it hooked to the thermostat or shut it off. With all three running I get alot of circulation. The one on the bottom pulls air in and the ones on the top push it out. COOOOL
Old 07-02-2003, 01:28 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Eric,
I just saw your post where you think your fan may have failed. Have you looked back against the inside of the refrig enclosure just below the top door. My Bambi has an on/off switch and from the factory it was set to off. As the switch is NOT visable you might not know it existed unless you stuck your head in and looked down.

david
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Fan photo

Just a followup with a picture.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #25
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
I just purchased new 23' International, the fan was on most of the time, noisy and irritating. According to my Airstream dealer service manager, the thermostat on new A/S is located at one of the cooling fins and set at 80 degrees. However, he voluntered to add a switch for the fan. He think the auto fan runs more than needed.