Old 04-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Good information. How did you access this information? I'd be interested in seeing what other manuals are available online.
Believe it or not I just did a Google search for "1999 bambi".

I was surprised since I had already spent considerable time looking over the Airstream website for info on my new Bambi. I'm pleased to be able to share the secrets I have learned from the Airstream website.

Quote:
Airstream's online library includes parts books for all models from 1998 through the present model year. The library also includes Owners Manuals from 2001 through the present model year, and a host of other helpful information.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:40 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Bambi info manuals

Thanks Snake,Do you know if my 1999 bambi has the same Capacities black,gray and fresh water as the 2001 model?

wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu http://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog
Thanks Snake,Do you know if my 1999 bambi has the same Capacities black,gray and fresh water as the 2001 model?
I did a test on the black tank in my '99 Bambi, it took almost two 5 gallon buckets of water to fill 'er up.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:15 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Black water tank

Hi Snake, I think that would be plenty of capacity,for 1 person for 2 weeks.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #61
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake
I did a test on the black tank in my '99 Bambi, it took almost two 5 gallon buckets of water to fill 'er up.
For about $1,000, you can probably upgrade your black tank to the 18 gallon size. We ended up doing that as the 8-gallon tank was a nuisance (i.e., constant unhooking and dumping over the course of a camping trip or using public restrooms). We justified the cost as we plan on keeping our Bambi for a long time.

The only reason I considered it is because Airstream eventually started putting 18-gallon tanks in 19' Bambi's so that meant it could be engineered. The reason it costs so much is because the factory had to re-engineer the frame to accomodate the larger tank.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
$1000, for black water tank.

Gee, thats 100 per gallon.Wowy,did I do some wrong buying a Airstream.Maybe I can get a aftermarket 18 gallon Black water Tank.What do you think?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:41 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Running Springs , California
I'm with you on your frustration with the 8 gal. blackwater on your Bambi. I've got a 2001. I don't feel that 8 gal is enough for boondocking more than a couple of days. I did get a quote from a gentleman that was nearer to the $500.00 range. He works exclusively on ASs, and his quality is good. He gets the tank custom made and installs at his shop. Not quite worth a trip to CA for, but at least there appears to be some spread on the going rate. You can always haul a chemical port-a-potty in the back of your truck for use if you are boondocking. Alot cheaper anyway...
Old 04-12-2006, 09:18 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
I don't think that the 8 gallon black tank diminishes the value of my Airstream as a lawn ornament in the slightest.

It's gonna be a while before we get to put it to the test since my wife decided to change jobs just about the time I headed to the east coast to pick it up, so it looks like we won't have anything more then maybe some long weekends for a while.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:09 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake
...It's gonna be a while before we get to put it to the test since my wife decided to change jobs just about the time I headed to the east coast to pick it up, so it looks like we won't have anything more then maybe some long weekends for a while.
From past experience with my 8-gallon black tank, I can safely predict that you WILL in fact be putting your black tank to the test if you both use it over a weekend camping trip. The primary reason we upgraded to the 18-gallon tank was because we mostly do weekend-only camping and the 8-gallon tank couldn't take care of all the business we needed it to take care over the course of the weekend.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:19 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geosouth
...I did get a quote from a gentleman that was nearer to the $500.00 range. He works exclusively on ASs, and his quality is good. He gets the tank custom made and installs at his shop. Not quite worth a trip to CA for, but at least there appears to be some spread on the going rate...
I had the work done a couple of years ago at the Airstream factory because I couldn't find a dealer/repair shop who had experience in this type of work. Airstream had recently re-engineered the 2002 19' Bambi in the middle of the production year to accommodate the 18-gallon tank so I felt comfortable that Airstream knew what they were doing. When I inquired at my local Airstream dealer about doing the work, they indicated that they had never done it before but they would be willing to try. I didn't feel comfortable with that answer, no matter what the price was! As it turned out, that Airstream dealer couldn't even install a new furnace without damaging the exterior of my Airstream!

The bottomline is to know what you are getting for the price. I'm not saying that this guy doesn't do quality work, but I would investigate further to understand what you are getting, what his experience is, and what other people say about his work.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:00 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Big Toe in Water...

I just had to make a post here so I can find it again later.... (nothing like forgetting where you put your post.) I'm getting my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder (rated 6000lb tow) ready to tow my 2004 CCD Bambi...19fter. I originally had a 2004 GMC Savanna Cargo Van for business that I had rigged with all stuff and then went out of business, sold the van...lost the hitch etc until I was inspired to go to the NorCal Rally next month! I am so glad that I've found some friends here on the Forums who live nearby and are helping me regroup, to make all the connections I need to really get going...I'm 'Jazzed!' ....Lake San Antonio here I come!

I originally bought my Bambi to be used as a guest quarters in my side driveway, then found I couldn't quite disguise it,...something like trying to hide an elephant? What was on my mind??? FEVER !!!! Airstream that is.....Movie Stars...!

Debs

http://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:27 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babeebloos
I originally bought my Bambi to be used as a guest quarters in my side driveway, then found I couldn't quite disguise it,...something like trying to hide an elephant? What was on my mind??? FEVER !!!! Airstream that is.....Movie Stars...!

Debs
Having visited Laguna Beach I can see how it would be hard to hide a Bambi there. Beautiful part of the country though; beautiful spot to park a Bambi too (what isn't?).

Have fun with it!

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:13 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
2006 Safari SE LS 19' Bambi

Hi all...this is an old thread wanting to know why we chose a Bambi...so here goes. First, we had an SOB 22' motor home for 3 years before we went after an Aristream experience. We enjoyed the MH a lot, liked it size, but we did not tow a vehicle, so we always felt locked into our campsite unless we wanted to pull up stakes and haul the whole camp with us...so we we decided to sell the MH and get an Airstream TT so we could have "wheels"... We had been oogling ASs forever, so when we finally got serious we started looking at options and decided the 19' Bambi was right for us. Not too big, separate shower, and full-time bed (neither of which were in the little MH), and easy to tow. In March 07 we lucked out and found a new 2006 Safari 19' LS SE 75th Anniv...not the special 75th Edition of which only 75 of made (we considered one of those and came close, but in retrospected we're glad we went with the Safari)...and put our money down...and we love it, love it, love it. It's loaded with the LS SE offerings, including factory solar panel, flat screen TV, 10-disc CD changer, fantastic fan, AM/FM/DVD, set up for Sirius radio and wired for satellite (but not equipped with satellite). It's got an inverter to convert 12 volt to AC for small-draw things like computers, radio, DVD, TV, etc... We pull it with a 2007 Toyota Tacoma with a tow package rated at 6500 lbs so it's a good match. We have done three 1-week long trips since March 07 and a couple of shorter trips, and I can tell you we are so pleased we can hardly stand it. We enjoy finding items that we can use in it that are aluminum or brushed stainless steel...you know.."all things aluminum"... My partner is very handy with a sewing machine so we are creating different "decors" to fit our mood...slip covers for the dinette, curtains, bed spreads, and throw rugs...we started with a "Safari Decor" which seemed highly appropriate... have recently completed a "SoCal Decor" and are now working on a "TropiCal Decor"...Bambi's are so small it doesn't take much to change the whole feel of the interior...and aluminum goes with everything, you know...and we have several more ideas in the wings. We travel with 2 Cocker Spaniels who love hitting the road as much as we do...and though it's cozy, we find there's plenty of room for everybody and their stuff. (The dogs' dishes are brushed aluminum!) We have pretty much been in state and county parks where there is electricity and water and sometimes sewer hook-ups, but we have dry camped a few times in national forest camp grounds when we relied on the solar panel to keep us going...and so far so good. Since getting the Bambi, we've had people stop at our camp site as they walk by and comment on it...or if we are inside and they can't see us, they'll stop and look and point and admire...and of course, if there's another AS in the park, we can't help ourselves...we have to say "hey"...

That's our life in the Bambi...and we love it! We hope everyone else enjoys thier little Silver Trailer as much as we do!

Happy Trials!
TB
Old 07-25-2007, 08:25 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
TBRich -- Thanks for sharing your new Bambi experience. I love it that you're towing with a Tacoma! and looking forward to hearing more about your experience with that. We're driving a Tundra now, but would love to move to a Taco someday if it's really a match for our Bambi. Your Bambi is very much like ours, with just a few more doo-dads than we have. One thing I love about the Bambi is learning to think small, economize, find ways to do more with less, size-wise. A compact bundle of fun!

Happy trails!

-Jamie

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote