Old 02-25-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Cool Questions? I may have answers

I have torn apart the inside of my tree mashed 2003 Bambi and seen all the secrets behind the liners glue and fiberglass. Even some of the interesting uses for brad nails in aluminum!!!!!!

Any questions I may have answers.

Old 02-25-2004, 08:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Question Could you post some pics?

Sorry to hear about your Bambi..Annie

Old 02-25-2004, 09:05 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Pictures comming soon

As soon as I get a digital camera. If you are interested in seeing some of the damage got to the Bambi forum and look at "repairable or totaled" The answer is Totaled! The reply is insurance buyback.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:19 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Poor Bambi! Bad Bad tree!

Ok, I'll bite..how did they use brad nails and aluminum? I'm always curious about how they put these guys together.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 08:00 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Brad nails and Aluminum

I would not have thought of it until I saw it but when pulling apart the trim over the toilet I found it was fastend with
brad nails though the interior aluminum. Also In the partition between the spice rack and the bedroom. Inside the divider is a shim block attached to the interior skin with about 6 nails on either end. I also found that duct tape works well for holding wiring up against the outer skin and they must buy spray adhesive by the truckload, it is used all over to hold the insulation up. You can also see in the headliner how there were some holes drilled for rivets but they were off the mark. You can see a trail of holes leading to where they finally hit a rib to attach a rivit to.

I just orderd a digital camera; should be here in a week or so. I will take some pictures.

Want that new Airstream smell in your home? just gut your trailer and put all the parts in your spare bedroom.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:42 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
That's a real sad pic. I have seen the pics when you first posted them & was wondering how you came out. In fact I asked my ins (State Farm) how they would handle something simular & they would give me book value for the unit. Quite a bit under what I would have considered a fair settlement. It would be real helpful & I would be interested when you get the pics up & running if you could get an inside pic of how they mount the box ( is it screwed to the rib?) for the exterior electrial connection. We have a 02 Bambi & one of the items I would like to change is the way the power cord is now permanently connected to the A/S. I'd like to install a twist loc connection simular to the one on your model, however I am reluctant to cut that hole in the side, without know how they mounted the box. A pic, if possible, would be most helpful.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 08:55 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
I will get a pic for you

The electrical umbilical on the outside of your trailer goes through the wall via the barger receptacle. On the interior side of the receptacle is a yellow heavy duty romex cord that runs into the back of the magavolt power dis center. You can see it by removing the vanity sink and magnavolt.

Mine is mounted with screws and a bunch of vulkem or sikaflex to the wall.

I would guess if the screws were removed the vulkem would still hold it in place and would need to be cut off the back of the receptacle. I dont know how far you would like to relocate it but it only has enough slack to relocate a few inches forward unless you replace the romex with a longer piece.

FYI the vent stack for the trailer runs through the closet and is put in after the closet is in place and then glued. I had to disasemble the shelves to get the closet/wardrobe out. If you can get to the romex without removing the closet do it I do not recommend trying to remove the closet unless you absolutly have to its a #@!!! I had to to get the ceiling headliner and aluminum out.

Looking back if I had to do it again I would use a cable pipe cutter and cut the vent pipe below the interior shelves and pull the pipe up through the roof this would make the wardrobe easier to remove.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:07 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Thanks for the info. My elect panel is located right below the closet door. The cord goes left from the panel thru the floor & to the rear of the unit. I'd like to just run a new cord from the panel box thru the side of the unit, located inside just below the vanity. I can get access to that part without removing to many "things". I know what you mean regarding the closet. Wow, I tried that way first & it got to be a real bear. I'm mainly concerned if the exterior box needs to be fasten directly to a rib. I can't see it just being fasten to the side panels without any support.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:13 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
I will look closer

When I go back inside I will take a closer look all I remember is there being vulkem slatherd all over were the romex went into the wall.
Most all my problems have been above my head. It gives me a real kink in my neck looking up all the time, I don't know how the folks at the factory handle it.