Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1997 - 2004 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
1965 17' Caravel
La La Land , Wisconsin
Question about Bambi Fridge

We are just starting our hunt for the *perfect* trailer. There are only 4 of us - Mom, Dad, two little girls. I am wondering if the refrigerator has a freezer. If it doesn't, do you miss it? Is it possible to have one of the double door fridges put in place of the smaller one? We only want a small AS, but I think I would love an ice cream bar or frozen pizza in there! Any thoughts??
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
The bambi has a small freezer with an internal door separating it from the refrigerator section.

A question for somebody...my freezer door hinge has sprung and won't stay closed. How hard is it to remove the door and replace the hinge?
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
nsbcpa...I don't know how to take off the freezer door, but I'll bet it can be done...there are a couple of tabs in there where the ends fit into the sides of the frame... those may release it but I didn't want to experiment with it ... for fear that I wouldn't be able to reverse the operation!

funhouse...as pointed out, there is a freezer in the 19' Bambi frig...inside... I doubt that putting in a double door version would give you any more freezer room than that of the freezer in the stock frig. It's not huge by any means, but there's certainly room for an ice cream bar...but a frozen pizza? Not so much. (We've made our own pizzas in the oven, though.)

We have a few hints to maximize the frig room. We removed the bottom shelf with the cut-out for the gallon milk jug and put in a set of Sterlite drawers...(see pic below). They hold a lot of smaller items (cheese, eggs, celery sticks, etc) and then we have room for taller items to the left of it...and things on top of it.

We also use Snap Ware storage containers because the stack well and fit perfectly in the shelves and in the door shelves (see pic).

In the freezer we use a plastic jar for ice.... (the jar is Kirkland, the Costco brand that they sell nuts and some types of candy in)...it fits perfectly on it's side with the wide mouth lid facing out...and holds a decent amount of ice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sterlite Drawer Box_Sm.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	121174  
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
TBRich I love the idea of the drawers. Where did you buy those. Great way to keep small items organized. I am going to do that right away. Great trip! Thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
1965 17' Caravel
La La Land , Wisconsin
Thanks for the great information. Our nearest Airstream dealer is an hour away and right now we have a blizzard outside So, I'm dreaming of better days ahead!! Tomorrow is Ground Hog day and I'm hoping we'll have six more weeks until spring
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaP View Post
TBRich I love the idea of the drawers. Where did you buy those. Great way to keep small items organized. I am going to do that right away. Great trip! Thanks!
Lisa...

I think we got it either at Big Lots or Ace Hardware, but you'd probably be able to find one at anyplace that handles storage systems or totes. Just measure the inside measurements of your frig for the best size. Ours is 9" wide x 9" high x 9.5" deep (counting the drawer handles)...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
funhouse,
We have a small freezer in our fridge, my wife really enjoys a glass of ice water after a days drive. I enjoy something in a brown bottle. Enjoy!
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote