Old 11-30-2004, 01:45 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Angry Phone Jack is Wack! 16CCD 2004

I ran a phone line out to the trailer and found I could not plug it into the jack. I had to remove the plate in order to clip it in. It seems to be wired too short to make it with the plate on. The cable connection is week as well, quality control surely didn't check this one, as with many other things on our unit.
Something else to get fixed when we take her in for the axel recall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AStelejackWack.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	9617  

Old 12-02-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Your just weak from the week. There is no wiggle room for you to pull the cable and phone wires just a couple of inches further out? If not it's a trip back to the dealer.
Welcome to the 'lack of quality control club'.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Hi Tinsel Loaf:
Thanks, but this point, I consider myself a charter member of that club. No, the phone jack is not gonna budge. Though I'm not going to try and give it any kind on substantial yank. At least I can use it with the cover off. It makes me worry about what I haven't found yet.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
You know>?
Retirement looks better every day~!
No phone lines, no television....
Just good ole campfire heated beans...lmao
MaShep,
Sorry to read abt your "poor quality control" issues...
This is no excuse but, you can imagine what kind of "labor pool" Airstream must have available to pull from, given the local farm countryside of Jackson Center, Ohio.
What with the recent surge in profits and increase sales for the year 2004 over the last business year..
You'd think that someone at Corp. level would bring in from retirement more of the old troops to oversee the quailty/training of the new work force. I'd think just having a few of the old hands show up for a day, unscheduled, walk around, and make suggestions on improvements.
This might even be a good part time job for a A/S owner to have..Just pull into JC for a few months and help out~When you're ready to pull out, another A/S owner could pull in to take over for another month or two..
Look at it this way, not only would you help improve the quailty of the units but, you could get a price break on your own parts/work done while there...KWIM??
win-win for everyone..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 08:28 AM   #5
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
You know>?

This is no excuse but, you can imagine what kind of "labor pool" Airstream must have available to pull from, given the local farm countryside of Jackson Center, Ohio.
53FC
We have the same problem in Minnesota. What a bunch. All thumbs, don't know anything about mechanics, wiring, or work ethic.

Would much rather have a few good video game playin', iPod wearin' slackers from the suburbs.

Old 12-03-2004, 10:29 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Linda--sorry to hear you're having problems with you 16. However if that's the only one that crops up I'd be surprised. We've had ours for a year now and I think I finally have all the assembly issues fixed, but mind you it took a YEAR. Ever trip brought out another stupid assembly problem.Nearly every one of ours can be attributed to a careless, uncareing employee. They can talk all they want about how quality contol has been stepped up but I have yet to see evidence of it. Have walked through dealers enventory and see the same problems with new "on the floor" units that I had with mine. I stand by my previous statements on this forum, that no matter what they say,NEITHER THE EMPLOYEES NOR THE MANAGEMENT CARE !!!!!! As long as people are standing in line to buy them in this condition you can expect NO IMPROVEMENT.
Pieman
Old 12-03-2004, 10:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

53FlyingCloud
I like that idea of Airstream owners helping the poor old Aistream factory out. But I think their insurance carrier would not like that or their union. They are union workers aren't they?
Old 12-03-2004, 12:39 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

I'm of the opinion, if you can't get it right don't install it and charge me for it! It seems like AS just stuffed it together and pushed it out the door with a wait-see if it's discovered before the warranty ends.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Good Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
53FlyingCloud
I like that idea of Airstream owners helping the poor old Airstream factory out. But I think their insurance carrier would not like that or their union. They are union workers aren't they?
Tinsel Loaf,
A.
I honestly don't know the answer to that question abt it being a union shop.
I gather that A/S draws many of it's labor force from a farming community and, that's not a put down either as many of todays farmers are well educated individuals. My brother-in-law in Mo, who is a farmer, has a PHD.
(Pole-Hole-Digger>???)
B.
Airstream conducts daily tour and, if insurance was an issues you best believe that wouldn't be happening..Ya reckon?
Somewhere, there's gotta be a bridge to convey the owners input to the ones who can do the most about cleaning up the QC issues..(Who better to address this to than the workers themselves?)
Having said that:
I'll be honest with you, from a personal level, I've seen far more units that were close to perfect leaving the factory than I've seen otherwise. (Note the key words here: That doesn't mean that all of the units made are perfect as we'd like for them to be)
Yes, there's still those issues of wiring being crossed, etc.
It's a learning curve process due to an up-surge in business volume that should be worked out in time.
Most of what wasn't that I've seen were damages caused while being delivered by a transportation company.
I,for one,think that quality has vastly improved in many areas. Example, take the issue of "peeling clearcoating" of years past..When was the last time you've heard of a recent unit peeling? (say, from 2000 onward..)
I still like the idea of selected A/S owners putting some time in at the factory with the power of inputting positive feedbacks.
MaShep, thanks for allowing me to vent on your thread...
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 12-03-2004, 07:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Funny you should mention that. Before we bought our A/S, the salesperson was extolling the high quality craftsmen that work at the factory, mostly Amish, you know ....

Dennis
Old 12-03-2004, 11:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Nothing wrong with

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Funny you should mention that. Before we bought our A/S, the salesperson was extolling the high quality craftsmen that work at the factory, mostly Amish, you know ....
Dennis
Dennis,
I've heard it said that was among one of Wally's original reasons for moving there..Historically speaking..
Another plug' for Vintage A/S...lol
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 12-04-2004, 01:40 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

<MaShep, thanks for allowing me to vent on your thread... >
Hey 53FC, no problems with me. Seems we gotta hear each other or go crazy with some of this stuff. If it were not for the forum and such great feedback, I think I'd feel a lot worse about all the trouble we have had.
Seems to me the workers are not the problem, it goes to the management. Airstream should not pay based on number of units produced, but the keep up the quality expected under such a fine reputation. I feel sorry for the pressure that the factory workers must be under, because it shows in the product.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up I peeked

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaShep
<MaShep, thanks for allowing me to vent on your thread... >
Hey 53FC, no problems with me. Seems we gotta hear each other or go crazy with some of this stuff. If it were not for the forum and such great feedback, I think I'd feel a lot worse about all the trouble we have had.
Seems to me the workers are not the problem, it goes to the management. Airstream should not pay based on number of units produced, but the keep up the quality expected under such a fine reputation. I feel sorry for the pressure that the factory workers must be under, because it shows in the product.
Linda,
Just peeked at your website...
Most interesting~!
Enjoyed perusing thru your "Syllabus"...
I take it from your pictures, that you were present when your unit was built?
Kewl`
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 12-04-2004, 02:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quality Control

I took a tour of the factory on FRIDAY October 22 this year. At 2 pm most of the workers were leaving early because "the week's production was already complete". Of course we saw at least 10 units sitting on the line in various stages of BEING finished, so.... (well it was October and orders would be slowing down)

One thing that I saw which really turned me off was a hole for a stove vent in a 16 ft Bambi. It looked like it had been cut freehand by one of those little saw tools that looks like a cross between a router and a drill. The edges were wavy and it sorta resembled a rectangle. I thought to myself - jeez, don't they have a jig (pattern with edges that control the cut) for the vents and windows? Why wouldn't those items be cut out on the flat aluminum before it's rivited?

I also didn't see any "Inspected by" tags on ANYTHING - and I got inside several units that did not have their inner skins LOOKING for inspection tags on plumbing and wiring. If you're building a house you can't put the drywall up until all of the plumbing & wiring has been inspected. I didn't see any evidence that they even pressure test the water supply lines! When I had work done on my house the inspector tested every plug for correct polarity, and ran a complete pressure test on both supply and drain side plumbing.

As for hiring - I have 25 employees and even with competitive wages, decent benefits and a great work climate we've gotten to the point where it's "hire 5 to find 2 worth keeping".

Unemployment is at record lows in our area, maybe that's so in Ohio too. Of course, I say hire divorced women with children for the work: they have low confidence - but they NEED the income from a fairly high paying job because 50% of them never collect child support and half of the ones who do, don't get it regularly. Once they are taught that they can master the mechanical skills they will be excellent and nit-picking detail oriented workers.
(Anyone who can assemble and disassemble a food processor can master a drill press or a metal shaper!)

People don't do what you expect, they do what you inspect!