Old 08-08-2004, 07:47 AM   #15
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
An outdoor shower can be installed by ordering the parts described in this thread. I am contemplating doing the install on ours. The little door for taking the shower outside is a very neat feature on the 16's. We have three dogs...

I've been wondering where to carry a generator, too, without the advantage that a pick-up truck provides. I would not carry it inside the coach unless it were in a sealed container and I'm sure that is reason enough for taking extra precautions with gasoline (like draining the tank, etc.). Probably not a good idea no matter how you try it. Here is Grizzy's solution for carrying dual generators. I would probably use his setup to carry a single generator and spare gasoline if I decide to pursue the generator issue.

We've opted instead to go solar, which, if we live carefully, should carry us through in most boondocking situations here in the southwest (much sunshine). I was goofing around yesterday and was running the audio stereo and one Fantastic Fan on medium high and the 75W solar panel was keeping up with demand. I have to admit that solar is a pretty cool install and I am very satisfied with the results so far. The CCD's (at least) come prewired for solar which makes it a pretty easy project.

Also, we took delivery of our '04 CCD in late April which was one of the last one's built in that model year. It was flawless except for a missing (and ordered) 2nd Fantastic Fan which A/S had installed at their cost by the local dealer. I remember quite a few people telling me that I could expect a neat job on our coach as the ones that were coming out in the late season were coming out without problems. I find it odd that there should be problems in a new model year when there have been minimal changes made... I think it more of a personnel issue, frankly. Mike I's experience is the exception and not the rule, thankfully, as many can attest.

Hope to see you out there somewhere!

Old 08-08-2004, 01:27 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Red face

<Mike I's experience is the exception and not the rule, thankfully, as many can attest.> I dunno about that X. So far I can count on one hand those who have written having few or no issues with QC. Some of those folks haven't really had them out much yet. Keepin' the faith tho!
The outside shower option is great, although I wonder if it would have been better if the galley and bath were switched, so the shower opening would be on the streetside. But it's fine as it is, we have used it a lot. Turtle (Jaime) gave a great solution and pics for a shut off button for the shower head.
Your solar sounds great X.
We keep our generator in a rubbermaid container in the back of the truck, but we have put it into the trailer while we are out and it didn't fill the coach with gas fumes. I think I'd rather have it in the trailer than in my car, but I don't know what would be best between the two.

Old 08-09-2004, 12:17 AM   #17
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
Quote from Xray "An outdoor shower can be installed by ordering the parts described in this thread. I am contemplating doing the install on ours."

If you get it and do it yourself, please post pics X, as we are not so handy but would attempt if the path was clear, (I think), or would hand them to our dealer if too intimidating. It seemed a big deal according to Vickie at AS, involving advanced planning and engineering for the water to redirect to the shower unit. Would have prefered to have it done at AS, living in San Diego we are far from factory.

Jonathan recommended this add to us and it is something we would use often, as the sinks are small and our Jack Russell "Ernie" tho short would barely fit in sink for a bath. I guess we'll just take him in the shower with us if need be!

Reguarding shoddy workmanship in new units due to a push in production numbers, that is a cause for concern and I hope we are not a recipient of this, as we will drive the thing to Ohio for them to fix. In the end, they will spend more time with a picky customer instead of doing it right the first time, and lose $. I know the dealer can address minor issues, but I believe quality is why they command these prices, and with forums such as this their business will decline as we all will hear about it.

I have my fingers crossed our unit is trouble free!

P.S. I still don't know how to "select" a quote to respond to, any help here much appreciated...only other forum is knitting and that is not as sophisticated as this forum!

Barbara (slept in, son home tonight to babysit mom!)
Old 08-09-2004, 07:51 AM   #18
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaStreamin
Quote from Xray "An outdoor shower can be installed by ordering the parts described in this thread. I am contemplating doing the install on ours."

If you get it and do it yourself, please post pics X, as we are not so handy but would attempt if the path was clear, (I think), or would hand them to our dealer if too intimidating. It seemed a big deal according to Vickie at AS, involving advanced planning and engineering for the water to redirect to the shower unit. Would have prefered to have it done at AS, living in San Diego we are far from factory.

Jonathan recommended this add to us and it is something we would use often, as the sinks are small and our Jack Russell "Ernie" tho short would barely fit in sink for a bath. I guess we'll just take him in the shower with us if need be!

Reguarding shoddy workmanship in new units due to a push in production numbers, that is a cause for concern and I hope we are not a recipient of this, as we will drive the thing to Ohio for them to fix. In the end, they will spend more time with a picky customer instead of doing it right the first time, and lose $. I know the dealer can address minor issues, but I believe quality is why they command these prices, and with forums such as this their business will decline as we all will hear about it.

I have my fingers crossed our unit is trouble free!

P.S. I still don't know how to "select" a quote to respond to, any help here much appreciated...only other forum is knitting and that is not as sophisticated as this forum!

Barbara (slept in, son home tonight to babysit mom!)
Barbara,

First of all, simply click on the "Reply" at the bottom of a message you want to quote and "whallah", there it is the original message in between what web people call "tags". These tags tell the forum software to format it in a "quote" fashion.

For instance, I will put the following text in between the "open" and "close" QUOTE tags to show you the effect:

Quote:
On my 22' CCD all the plumbing is on the street side of the coach. If I want to install the outdoor shower on the curbside, I will need to run both hot and cold water lines. I suspect this should be fairly easy as there is a large storage area under the front bed and the water heater is adjacent to this storage area. At the water heater is where I'll find both my hot and cold water sources. I'll probably need about 20' of PEX (the plastic water line that is used on A/S's) in order to run lines around the front of the coach under the bed over to the curb side. If you have never had experience with PEX, it is an easy product to use if you have the correct tool for cutting it to length. Other than that, all you do is connect and tighten compression fittings. A key, however, is to have all the fittings you need in advance.

Finding a suitable location on the shell of the coach is probably the biggest factor. The moment you cut into the outside aluminum is probably a monumental experience. Make no mistakes here by preparing carefully. Since my location will likely be on the outside shell from under the bed, I may even make an exploration hole from the inside to verify that I won't run into anything important from the outside. Just writing this has gotten my confidence up to the point where I am getting itchy to get the project done.
Here is what it looked like when I typed out the above in order to format it as a quote:

Funny, we have a Jack Russell too (Buck). What a hoot they are! Buck seems virtually "self-cleaning" though... Something about his coat - probably his diet. He's digging and rooting and covered with dirt and just a quick shake and he's cleaned himself. Amazing.

Anyway, I hope you learned something here.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:46 AM   #19
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Barbara,

First of all, simply click on the "Reply" at the bottom of a message you want to quote and "whallah", there it is the original message in between what web people call "tags". These tags tell the forum software to format it in a "quote" fashion.

Funny, we have a Jack Russell too (Buck). What a hoot they are! Buck seems virtually "self-cleaning" though... Something about his coat - probably his diet. He's digging and rooting and covered with dirt and just a quick shake and he's cleaned himself. Amazing.

Anyway, I hope you learned something here.
Thanks X, I deleted some of text out to see if it works!

Jacks do have that self cleaning coat, especially the smooth coats which is what both of us have, but Ernie goes to the dog park so he gets bathed after that or we would sleep with other dogs slobber and who knows what else! This is our second JR, Martha passed at 14 1/2 and they are the funniest breed....very bossy too!

Barbara
Old 08-09-2004, 09:57 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Linda---regarding "birth date" of our 16 I ran across what looks to be an order sheet from my dealer to mfg. It shows the order date to be 8/18/03--"project start date"
10/30/03. Not sure of exact delivery date but it was in the last week of NOv. 03.
"by the way"--My list of complaints are not posted to discourage anyone from purchasing an AS. More to make them aware of things to look for before taking delivery. Seems most live several mile from their dealer but even if close by it's still a hassel for everyone including the dealer if you have to return for warranty work. I still maintain Airstream quality is heads above anything on the market. My complaint has never been with the product it'self but with the assembly the components.
Pieman
PS--thought maybe you fish was a statement of your faith. Rexhall Motor co even paints them on their motorhomes.