Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1997 - 2004 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Lightbulb Leak at bannana wrap on 2003

Recently I developed a wet spot on the floor next to the refrigorator cabinet and the door. Having had my trailer hit with a tree I suspected a roof look. I discovered however that the 2003 model has a trim rail that covers the joint between the aluminum shell and the banana wrap. This hides the rivet work that holds the shell to the frame.

Well when they put on the trim they used pop rivets and did not seal them.

Then the trim piece fills up with water and the water follows the inside of the pop rivet into the trailer and makes the floor wet.

I had to remove the trim next to the entry step and recaulk the bannana wrap joint and drill out and seal all the pop rivets with new rivets. As you may notive the 04 models don't have this trim around the trailer. So all those who have the 03 with the trim wrap, rub rail, belt line or whaterver its called keep em sealed so water doesn't collect behind them.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Great post

We ran into this problem with our 75 model and that beltline you are talking about. For the last several weeks we were looking for a leak and we would think we had found it by water hose testing seal recheck and still have a leak. Come to find out the belt was loose and the water was coming in there.
It will be somthing I watch all the time and all along the trailer.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Running Springs , California
I just found the same problem on my 2001 at the beltline. In addition to the beltline not being sealed, the 'Airstream' emblems were not sealed and I have corrosion at the bottom edges of the emblems that have to be repaired. Seal, seal, seal!

I'm glad someone is using this sub forum. I have tried to post to it many times but have been frustrated after putting my thoughts in writing to find that they just disappear when submitting. I dig all AS trailers but am really only interested in reading and writing about mine, and like, Bambis. Here goes! to this forum!
geosouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
2001 Bambi with leaky banana wrap

I posted recently about my '01 Bambi having brake, rust and corrosion problems on the frame and underbelly (see the thread under skin and rivets). To do the proper job on the frame I've removed all the bellypan and banana wrap.

I too have the water entrapment problem on the banana wrap. When the factory replaced my four quarter panels due to filiform corrosion, they used 2in long hardened drive screws to re-secure the belt, and they rusted badly, leading to rust stains- so when the adhesive trim belt came off, there were the reasons.

However, can I possibly re-use the adhesive belt trim, or should I plan to buy new adhesive belt trim? Mine is in excellent condition on the outside, but of course the adhesive is gone. I will plan to remount the aluminum wrap with SS screws and seal carefully.

I agree- as a Bambi owner this is a great forum.
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:17 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Trim

If the trim piece can take the heat the adhesive residue can be heated with a heat gun and scraped off. Then use goof off or WD 40 or lighter fluid to get the rest of the sticky off. Then use some 3M automotive adhesive tape to re attach.

I seem to remember something about stainless screws in aluminum I think it makes the aluminum the sacrificial metal and causes it to corrode /disintigrate. My trim was held on with aluminum rivets.

After its installed seal the trim line with acrylic-r sealer. http://www.airstream.com/shop/dynami...nce&action=cat

Also to slow other corrosion try Corrosion Block lubricant spray.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
screws and adhesive on banana wrap

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm planning to use isolation washers under the stainless screws.

As for the filiform corrosion, I've been using ACF-50 (same brand as Corrosion Block from Lear Chemicals) for awhile now and it does stop the corrosion, but does not prevent new sites, so I have to be vigilant. With the belt off, I found plenty of new sites.

By the way, what is the proper name for the aluminum belt? Belt? And what about the plastic/silvered adhesively attached insert strip?

Finally, do you know what adhesive has been used under the aluminum belt? While it appears Vulkem or Acryl-R was used along the top corner to the Alcoa panel, there was also a tenacious white sticky foam used along much of the perimeter. This may not have been original- I think it was done when JC replaced my quarterpanels under warranty for corrosion problems in 2002.

Finally, do you know if it is safe for the clearcoated Alcoa panels if I use the 3M brand of automotive adhesive remover in this area?
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
[quote=

By the way, what is the proper name for the aluminum belt? Belt? And what about the plastic/silvered adhesively attached insert strip?

Finally, do you know what adhesive has been used under the aluminum belt? While it appears Vulkem was used along the top corner to the Alcoa panel, there was also a tenacious white sticky foam used along much of the perimeter. This may not have been original- I think it was done when JC replaced my quarterpanels under warranty for corrosion problems in 2002.

Finally, do you know if it is safe for the clearcoated Alcoa panels if I use the 3M brand of automotive adhesive remover in this area?[/quote]

Well I imagine someone out there has the poper name for it, if it was a boat I would call it a rub rail .

As far as the adhesive its just double back foam tape, airstream uses it alot to hold parts in place before they rivet/screw/glue things together. I bet they sell it by the roll. As for the 3m remover ????? Don't Know if it would damage or not .

The clear coat is not bullet proof, I would go with WD 40 and work my way up in an inconspicuous spot. To remove the grey sikaflex a little heat from a heat gun and a popcilce/paint stick works.