Old 06-08-2005, 11:58 AM   #15
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
In my tour of the factory at Homecoming it looks like the issue has been addressed in the current production. The cabinet looks to be attached to the inner skin with a plethora of screws, the inner skin is then installed into the coach with the cabinet pre-attached. These screws go into the edge of the plywood and are spaced about 6 inches apart. I could be wrong, but that was what it looked like to me.

Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:14 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2005 19' International CCD
Roswell , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to desidou Send a message via Yahoo to desidou
sdairstream -

Can you tell those of us who have a 2005 CCD what to look for in the cabinets to make sure ours are fastened properly?

We're taking ours out this weekend (even thought our WH isn't working right now) and I want to check before we sleep in it again. Ours is brand new as well -- we've only had it since Memorial day weekend.

Any advice you can offer on this is appreciated.

2005 19' Bambi CCD
2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
AIR # 8298
desidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:42 PM   #17
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I would guess that if you open your roof locker and look up at the piece of wood that is up front top, you could see additional screws (more than the standard two). I had one that looked (might not have been an issue) like it might be working it's way loose, when at the factory at the end of April, they sunk two more in and the case was closed.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:18 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

I'm not sure what to tell you to look for. I have not had a chance to see the "fix" from the A/S service center. My CCD is still there. I was told by the service manager at that shop that the folks at Jackson Center did not "hit the rib" when they installed the cabinet. According to him the screws attaching the cabinet to the ceiling should go through the rib of the trailer and not simply through the inner skin. I'll see if there's something I can pass along once I get the trailer back.

Here's my question... and maybe I'm just stupid for asking, but why doesn't A/S hang the cabinets using some kind of bolt or anything to secure from the other side? Again, I just probably don't understand the mechanics of how the shell system, etc works, but it seems like a screw and bolt would be more secure than just a screw?
sdairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:22 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
Don't be afraid to fix it.

I've owned a Bambi 16 ccd for about 30 days. I've read all the information that I could find in the Airstream forum, regarding Bambi 16's. I examined my trailer and found many problems that have been discussed in the forum. Rather than take my trailer in to have the work done, (it is still under warranty) I did the work myself, or had a friend help me when in doubt. I've owned trailers in the past and I've found that it's better to endure the learning process and fix it yourself. The Airstreams are a wonderful product, so don't be afraid to invest a little of your time and some additional money to make them better. I know if you take a little bit of ownership for your Bambi you will love it all the more.
gbrentsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:04 AM   #20
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I would be amazed if AS just relied on hitting the mark of a structural "rib" when hanging a cabinet.

When I was working on our house, I installed "blocking" as I was framing out our renovation. The blocking was used when fastening things like towel bars and cabinets. Not only did this take the guess work out of finding the stud, but it is much more secure than attaching a towel bar or cabinet to drywall using traditional toggle bolts or mollys(?).

My point here: If AS does not do it already, putting a few extra pounds in a trailer for blocking to make the cabinets or what ever to stay in place is a small price to pay, I think.

A house stays in one place, but RV take a lot of beating on the road. All the more reason to build them with extra consideration of a solid structure.

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:46 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2004 16' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I've had a 2004 16 CCD for over a year now - and the cabinet over the bed came loose while I was camping in Aspen last spring. I read that others had had this problem - but I understand the shock of seeing your own very large and heavy cabinet swing (or fall) onto your bed.

As there was no AS dealer for many, many hours - and the cabinet was swinging on two screws, we went into town. We found a few long screws, took the cabinet apart - - - - and about 2 hrs later - all was good. So I have to agree that a little self sufficiency goes a long way.

This winter - I took it to the AS dealer in New Mexico - they were great. They called AS, got the story on a fix - and installed many screws (and added an aluminum bracket under the cabinet - I think this was their own invention).

If it falls off now - I think the back of the trailer will fall in with it.

Thanks to the AS forums for discussing these issues (so I don't feel like I'm the only victim of the cabinet with a mind of its own).

The People from the Pod
pod people is offline   Reply With Quote