Old 06-26-2003, 07:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Question Good price for a 1 year old Bambi?

Hi, We're getting ready to purchase our 1st Airstream, and have found a used 2002 19' locally. The owner says it's been used 6 times and has a minor dent near the top. They're asking $25K. First is that a reasonable price? We're going to a dealership this weekend to check out new ones and then will visit the used one. Any specific things to look for? Any help for this 'newbie' is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
KL

Old 06-26-2003, 07:18 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think it's in the ballpark. For example, the '03 was listed at just a tad under 30k and we got it for about 25k and some change new.

My .02 would be to offer about 20k or less depending on the size of the dent.

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 07:30 PM   #3
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I would say ... NO ... that is not a reasonable price. Especially with a dent.

Keep in mind that 2004 models are now on the lot ... retailing for just a hair over 30K ... you should be able to get one in the 26K to 27K range.

Be sure to tell the dealer you are considering a used Bambi ... that should help you on the price negotiation.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:34 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
We bought ours at an RV show in January when few are actually buying let alone thinking of RVing.

Right now might not be the best time to beat up a dealer cause those who want to get some camping in this season are almost standing in line for one in some parts of the country. It all depends on how hungry your local dealer is and how low he or she is willing to go.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 09:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
We purchased our new 2003 Safari 25SS for $30K on a list of $40K, a 25% discount. I would think that another 10-20% off for first year depreciation would be about right - plus an allowance for the dent (what it would cost to fix).

So $30K list, less 25% is $23K, less 10% is $21, less allowance for the dent (?) is $20K.

Your mileage may vary...
Old 06-26-2003, 11:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Smile Thanks!

Thanks Guys! This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. This really gives me some perspective on pricing. Any other things to be on the look-out for? Tires, brake wear, running ligths, plumbing? Things somebody new to RV'ing and Airstreams wouldn't look for? I'll crawl under it with a flashlight etc...
Gracias,
KL
Old 06-27-2003, 08:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I'd verify that the plumbing has no leaks due to improper winterizing. Make sure it's full of water and try the pump, light the water heater, check water flow from all faucets, check for plumbing leaks by looking under cabinates, under the trailer, in exterior storage areas, and around the water heater.

Also look for rain water leaks - stains on the ceiling, curtains, mold on the carpet.

Otherwise verify that everything works - stove, fridge (on gas and electric), furnace, A/C...

You should be okay with a trailer that new - if it has no signs of abuse.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:24 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One other positive statement is that dependent upon the original purchase date of the trailer, it could be still under the original 2 year warranty.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 09:14 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Check the VIN #...

Something few people know is that prior to VIN 514492 (last 6 digits), the 19' Bambi had an 8 gallon black water tank. Starting with that VIN, a running production change was made to use the same black water tank as the 25C Safari (which had the same bathroom arrangement) increasing the black water tank to 18 gallons. May seem a minor detail until you do a little boondocking. I know this as my Bambi is VIN 514492 and I called A/S to resolve the documentation conflict and they informed me that mine was the first Bambi with the 18 gallon tank.

Also take a look at my pics so see what can be done with the rather bland factory interior. You will love the Bambi. It is easy to tow and while not a good choice for long term housing, it is a wonderful weekend and vacation unit.

On the price, I got my '02 just as the '03 were coming out. Mine listed for just a few $s shy of $33 (it had all the options along with custom changes that added to the price). I got mine for $27, so not the deepest discount that has been reported, but a none the less a nice one that made all the $s we put in it afterwards a little more easily justified.

Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote