Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1997 - 2004 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Beaver , Pennsylvania
Gas or Electric water heater

I recently inherited a never used 2003 Bambi and am trying to figure out if the water heater runs via electric and gas or just gas. The panel above the bathroom sink doesn't give me much help. Also, since I do not believe the hot water system was ever used, what do I need to do to be safe before turning it on? From my understanding, water has to get into the hot water tank via the water pump? where is that located and how does that work. I've very new to all of this and although I've been reaching the manual, I'm not much of a technical person. Any help would be great. Thanks!
bambiangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Either fill the fresh water tank and turn on the pump, or connect a hose to the city water inlet. Then make sure your water heater is not bypassed for winter storage. Run the hot water taps at every sink, shower, outside shower, etc. until it stops sputtering air and you get a steady stream of water.
That fills your water heater, and it's now safe to turn on the heat. Turn on the electric heater first (connected to shore power) and let it heat for 10 minutes. Run the hot water and see if it's warm. If so, turn off the electric heat and turn on the propane switch. Go outside to the water heater vent and listen for the burner operating. If it's burning, you're good.
Be careful if it gets to full temp, I think mine is set to 140F. Probably not enough to injure, but it is plenty HOT!
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
MIDDLETOWN , RI
was electric hot water, in addition to propane heated, a "standard" feature?
GaryRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryRI View Post
was electric hot water, in addition to propane heated, a "standard" feature?
The other way around.

Propane allows you to camp off the electri grid. Many county, state and federal campgrounds have primitive camping. So, with water in your white (supply) tank and the gra uh and black tanks to store waste water, add propane for cooking and heating water, and batteries for 12 volt lights, you can stay several days without services.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambiangel View Post
I recently inherited a never used 2003 Bambi and am trying to figure out if the water heater runs via electric and gas or just gas. The panel above the bathroom sink doesn't give me much help. Also, since I do not believe the hot water system was ever used, what do I need to do to be safe before turning it on? From my understanding, water has to get into the hot water tank via the water pump? where is that located and how does that work. I've very new to all of this and although I've been reaching the manual, I'm not much of a technical person. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Did your 2-year old questions get fully answered?

Happy Trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote