Old 04-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Bambi axle problems?

I'm new to the forum because I'm still an Airstreamer wannabe. I thought I wanted a Bambi but read from someone that the Bambi has axle issues. Can anybody enlighten me as to what these issues are and how serious they are? I'm not ruling out any other Airstreams but I do need a small one that I can pull with my Land Rover LR3 HSE. Any suggestions? I'm certainly open to a vintage trailer with minor restoration needs.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymcdog View Post
I'm new to the forum because I'm still an Airstreamer wannabe. I thought I wanted a Bambi but read from someone that the Bambi has axle issues. Can anybody enlighten me as to what these issues are and how serious they are? I'm not ruling out any other Airstreams but I do need a small one that I can pull with my Land Rover LR3 HSE. Any suggestions? I'm certainly open to a vintage trailer with minor restoration needs.
The original Bambi and Caravel axles are prone to failure, due to a spindle that is to small.

What that spindle usual does is fatigue crack and simply snaps in half, when you hit the right bump.

Many warnings have gone out about that problem.

The fix is easy, by simply replacing the axle, as many have done.

Andy

Old 04-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Axles

So, ours was new in April 06. I noticed it could only carry 90 lbs of our stuff. But, I thought, what the heck, it's an Airstream, it'll be fine. When we weighed it, it was only "overweight" by 160 lbs or so, so we went with it.

1. Sept, 06, for 6 weeks-Denver to the northwest, to southern Arizona, back to Denver.

2. Sept. 07, for 7 months-Denver to northern Minnesota, to South Carolina, to Florida, to western Texas, then to Denver.

3. Mid October 08, 7 and one half months-Denver to Yuma, then north to western Montana, back to Denver.

One badly damaged tire (I must have hit something, I didn't see it) in all that.

Serious hail damage July 09. Timeless Travel Trailers has it now for a full rebuild including a higher capacity axle and some other stuff. Why not, it's only money. I'll be able to sleep easier now. But, Airstream says this model going to Canada had a heavier axle under it. I say why not here in the US. That galls me.

Having said that, I will not let that kind of treatment sour me on Airstreams, they are the finest travel trailer I've ever seen, but they shouldn't have done it that way in the first place. Rant over.

Bottom lines in my opinion. Nothing is perfect-do your research carefully (watch this forum like a hawk-use the search button)-check everything before you buy, and remember, life is full of compromises.

Good luck on your search, and above all, enjoy.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
Andy,

It's been seven years since I took my 2001 Bambi off the road, got the Kodiak brakes installed (and they worked fine!) and awaited enough time to replace the belly, insulation, etc. The trailer has sat on wheels since late 2006.

Now that I have the time, I see my original axle has essentially zero starting angle (horizontal) and when the wheels are off and the axle is unloaded, the starting angle is about 8deg down. This seems far too little, but I cannot find a reference to what this should have been in the forum or my email from years ago.

Any help would be appreciated.
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswartz View Post
Andy,

It's been seven years since I took my 2001 Bambi off the road, got the Kodiak brakes installed (and they worked fine!) and awaited enough time to replace the belly, insulation, etc. The trailer has sat on wheels since late 2006.

Now that I have the time, I see my original axle has essentially zero starting angle (horizontal) and when the wheels are off and the axle is unloaded, the starting angle is about 8deg down. This seems far too little, but I cannot find a reference to what this should have been in the forum or my email from years ago.

Any help would be appreciated.
Marshall.

Extended non useage of the trailer on the road, has a bad effect on the rubber rods within the axle tube.

That rubber must be exercized to stay alive.

The starting angle of your axle, unloaded, was 22 1/2 degrees down.

The following article will help you to check your axle out in a more positive and easier way.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy