Old 11-09-2003, 08:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
airstream cover

We bought a '67 safari over the internet and when we had it
shipped to us it needed alot more work than we could ever tell
from the pictures(have you ever heard this song before?) Anyway
before you start sending me crackers to go with my" California
Whine"; we decided to trade the safari in on a '04 Bambi.
If I was at a different stage in life or if we had a larger property
we would love to keep the safari and restore her but we
got it to get away, and we haven't done any of that.
My question is about maintenance; do you cover your bambi?
I would like to cover ours with a soft water repelent tarp to
keep the water off and the sun out. What do you clean the
outside of yours with? I was thinking nonabrasive dishwashing
liquid would be good; and I could use a big sponge for where I
can reach on the sides but how do you clean your tops? I would think that someone must make a pole with a nonabrasive brush
on the end or maybe a sponge??Do you put anything on the outside of yours after you wash and it dries to help protect the clear coat???

kent osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 02:03 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Covering your Airstream is discouraged since covers will move with airflow thusly causing wear points through the finish on your new Bambi.

Many of us recommend the Armor-All car wash liquid. The reason is two fold. The product contains no petrolium products or amonia products, both of which can be detrimental to the finish of your Airstream.

To keep the surface slick and protected I recomend the Walbernize Super Seal product. It's easy on and off. Do this twice a year and your new Bambi will keep its good looks.

I use a soft brush with a telescopic pole that I bought from Camping World. Here is a link to the site.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 07:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Definitely don't put any cover or tarp on your A\S. I put one on a small teardrop once and it wore thru the paint in some spots in only 3 months it was covered during the winter. I was looking into those pole framed car, boat, whatever covers at Menard's. Turns out they wouldn't handle a snow load. Mayby in S. Cal. it could work for you. Good Luck.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 09:21 PM   #4
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin

look here, they may be able to solve your problem.

i have a 10 x 20 foot canopy that i use for my truck from time to time.

got lucky and have inside storage this winter.

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:08 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member
While checking out the Bambi's at the Dealer, they had just received a new one from the factory and it hadn't been cleaned up yet! What a shocker...but then, it travelled more than 1/2 way cross country to get here in So. Cal. It looked like 'Roadkill' or one of the Rehab wannabees. I was surprised and asked the dealer how they clean them up 'so nice and purty' and if they run them thru a car wash??? He said 'NO, just high pressure water!"
Well....go figure!
"A mind stretched to a new idea never returns to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Babyblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I have 2 follow-on questions to this:

Do you think I can safely put an ADCO Rv cover on my new Airstream when I get it?
(It's on order from the factory now)

I'll be storing my trailer in a 40'x100' steel building that is open at one end. I"ll be keeping my unit at the closed end of the building, and very little wind gets in there. (The open end is protected from the wind by another steel building that sits in front of it.

I need to have something over my trailer because there is occasionally rusty water that drips from the roof, but I don't want to rub the finish off by putting a cover over it either.

The other question is do you need to strip the first coat of walbernize off before applying a second coat? How about applying more than 2 coats per year?

flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:36 AM   #7
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I would place a tarp across the roofline of the shed (on the inside to defect any water), but not let it touch the coach. I too was thinking about an RV cover, but folks said that any rubbing might wear out the Aloca coating on the coach. So I'm passing that warning to you too.

As for Walburnize. I wash my coach with Armor All Car Wash based on Jack Canavera's findings that it has no PDs(petrolum distilites) in it. After that, I Walburnize prob 2-3 times a season-- no stripping required.

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Eric -

You may be right about the cover. I thought of putting a tarp up near the ceiling of the building -- the only thing is it's about 20' high, and would be a job just to get up there, much less trying to figure out how to fasten a tarp. I'll have to look at it some more. Putting a tarp up would probably be the least cost alternative.

flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote