Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1997 - 2004 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Group 27 Battery on 16' Bambi

Jamie
I played around with upgrading the single group 24 to a group 27. I found the 27 will not fit in the same area as the 24, at least if you want to use a battery box. One thing I did try that would work is to position the group 27 battery box long-ways, instead of sidways like the 24. So it sits on the two welded bars, instead of between them. The battery box will fit, but I found the battery cables are not long enough to reach the relocated battery terminals. I looked a long time for a cable stretcher, then considered replacing the original cables with longer ones. The way the cables are routed into the trailer has a large amount of some kind of sealer that would have to be dug out and then replaced, and I didn't want to get into that since the group 24 is OK for my trips with hook ups, and the single group 27 wasn't enough for my boondocking trips, anyway.

If someone has done the job of digging out and replacing that sealer stuff I would like to know how that went - I was afraid I would never get a good seal again. Otherwise, the group 27 would be better than the original, and not very much more weight.
Bob
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
I have the Honda EU3000i to run the air conditioner. I'm told the 2000 can run the air but is iffy for start up. Rarely use the air so the generator is used like Bob's, during a power outage which we seem to get at least once a year. Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Lew, if I recall, you were putting in a new converter....does that play nice with the 6v batteries? Are the 6V batts AGM?
I did put in a new 55amp WFCO converter and I'm pretty happy with its' 3 stage charging, but it's not perfect for AGMs. I have a new charger on order that is actually a 4 stage unit and has selectability between lead-acid/gel/AGM. I'll report back after some experience with the new one.

On another note. Be sure to use the SAME TYPE BATTERY if you are adding a second or third. By that, I mean the same brand, size and rating. Otherwise, you WILL have charging problems.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
try to consume less.. change those halogen lamps to LEDS.. makes a huge difference.
a battery inside the Bambi is not a good idea... toxic fumes do escape from batteries.

A generator is an annoyance in my opinion... I hate the sound of them.. even the "silent" ones.. it really ruins camping for me..

Solar panels, on the Bambi's roof there isn't enough space for a decent amount of solar energy.. separate panels... mmmh.. one thief and they're gone.. There are some Photovoltaic panels that can be rolled up and linked to eachother.. so easy to store overnight though... I even thought of incorporating them in the awning.

Or, an expensive, but a solution I'm considering myself, is buying a portable AirGen hydrogene generator.. makes no noise, consumes little..there is another brand...smaller... but I cannot remember the name.. it's an American brand and made for RV's... it automatically tops up the battery if needed, is completely noiseless and needs almost no looking after...
sos10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:18 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Check out what I did.

http://www.airforums.com/photo...00&userid=4749

I didn't mess with Gr 24 or Gr 27 batteries. I got a heavy-duty sweeper/scrubber battery for my 22' CCD. This should also work on a 16'. The bracket fits in the tight space between the gas cover and jack. The battery has the capacity of 2 1/2 Gr 24 batteries. I also had a cover fabricated for it. Don't forget the PowerPulse desulfator to protect your battery.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Ogden , Utah
More info on scrubber battery set up?

rseagle
That looks like a good setup - can you tell more about:
1) What did you do with the battery cables to make them reach?
2) How did you fabricate that mounting bracket, and any photos?
3) The cover - any more details, or photos?

I never saw a battery like that but it is exactly what is needed for more capacity, permanently mounted - go taller, not wider!

Thanks
Bob
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:44 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
I got tired of trying to deal with one series-24 battery on our Bambi, so I've reinstalled longer battery cables, welded two 15" L brackets 11" apart crosswise in front to the propane to hold an 11"deepX15"wideX12"high plastic box with cover. This will hold 2-24s side-by-side. The cover is held in place with a few stainless screws and I drilled holes in the bottom of the box for the cables. You'll need a couple of additional short cables to connect the two batteries. The box is white and the whole thing looks good. Adds 40# to the tongue weight which hasn't been a problem.

I also changed out the interior lighting to lower wattage (several threads deal with that (search "5 Watt Bulbs in CCD")). Additionally, we carry a Honda 2000 generator which we use sparingly so as not to disturb others.

Larry
jglabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
alternative energy source

Found the info again... SFC A50 is the generator I was thinking of... not for running your Airco.. but for keeping the battery up all the time.
here some basic info from their website:

The SFC A50 is a battery charger based on DMFC (Direct Methanol Fuel Cell) technology. Using Methanol as a fuel, this system offers much higher energy density than Pb-batteries, which are widely used today. The unit delivers up to 100Ah per day (1200Wh per day), operates almost quiet and is very environment friendly. The replacement of an empty fuel cartridge can be done in seconds compared to several hours needed for charging an empty Pb-battery. The SFC A50 is intended to operate in combination with a 12V Pb battery. The battery can provide peak power as well as startup power for the SFC A50 while the SFC A50 offers a significant extension of energy density to the Pb battery.

The Smart Fuel Cell works as a battery charging unit. If the voltage at the connected battery drops below 12.5V for longer then 10 seconds, the SFC A50 automatically initiates the charging process. The charging process of the SFC A50 will be completed and the unit will switch to sand by mode when on of the following conditions occur:
Battery voltage is higher than 14.5V
Battery voltage is over 14V and charging current is less than 1A
Battery has been charged for six hours and the voltage is higher then 12.5V

Complete Data Monitoring Interface includes Live access to SFC A50 internal system parameters e.g. stack voltage, stack current, temperatures. Delivers all necessary information for evaluation, testing and system integration.
Remote battery charger for 12 Volt Pb-batteries whenever solar power, grid power or combustion engine driven generators are not an appropriate solution. Works well with solar for a hybrid solution.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Power: 50W (continuous)
Voltage: 10,5 - 14,5V DC
Ambient Temperature: -20 C to +40 C, -4 F to +104 F
Storage Temperature: +1 C to +45 C
Humidity: 20% - 90%
Fuel Methanol Consumption: 1,3l Methanol/kWh at continuous operation
Noise Emission: less than 40dB(A) at 1m distance during operation
Dimensions: (WxHxD) 380mm x 260mm x 150mm
Weight: App. 6kg (without fuel cartridge)
Electrical Interface: 12V DC output including sense wire to automatically charge 12V Lead Batteries.

Here's a situation almost every RV aficionado is certainly well familiar with: on a holiday journey there is a beautiful spot beckoning to linger longer than originally planned - but the on-board batteries have almost completely run down. Unfortunately, the most scenic locations are not connected to the power grid. This is where the SFC A50 comes in, representing an attractive alternative to conventional power supply systems.
Reliable power supply throughout the entire winter season

Even if solar cells fail to do the trick in the dark winter season, you can count on the SFC A50 to provide adequate power. The fuel cell is capable of feeding a daily 100 Ah to the battery and delivers an output of 50 watt. With only a single five-liter methanol fuel cartridge the SFC A50 will deliver electricity for a five to ten day period - depending on the season and personal consumption. In this way, RVs can operate independently - without the unpleasant exhaust and noise of a generator. Moreover, the fuel cell can be reloaded in only a few seconds.

Thanks to its own thermal discharge the capacity of the battery increases. Especially in the wintertime, this ensures a one hundred percent availability of on-board electricity. With its mobile, clean and silent power generation, the fuel cell offers a far more comfortable alternative to generators or solar cell systems.

The unit weighs around seven kilograms and is about the size of a briefcase. Thanks to the compact dimensions and light weight the unit can be easily retrofitted and integrated into vehicle interiors. Power supply is fully automatic due to the charge controller: whenever battery voltage drops below a certain level, the SFC A50 is activated and recharges the battery. A remote control unit is available as an accessory for easy operation from anywhere inside the vehicle.

Clean and silent power generation by methanol

Also available in a lightweight weatherproof box...

and here an article on fuel-cell integration in a trailer: Fuel Cell Works Supplemental News Page

and here some other, portable models..
EFOY - Energy for you
US dealer: Sandpiper Technologies Video Cameras and Surveillance Systems: Home Page
Old 01-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD
rseagle
That looks like a good setup - can you tell more about:
1) What did you do with the battery cables to make them reach?
2) How did you fabricate that mounting bracket, and any photos?
3) The cover - any more details, or photos?

I never saw a battery like that but it is exactly what is needed for more capacity, permanently mounted - go taller, not wider!

Thanks
Bob
Hi RDM16CCD,

Here is the link to the current battery manufacturer. Douglas was bought out by East Penn Manufacturing. This is the Deka line:

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/scrubber.pdf

The 9C12 with 228 Ah is a monster!

1. The fabicator just spliced in some longer terminal leads to reach the battery.

2. Get some cardboard or foamcore board and make a mock-up baseplate that fits precisely in the space between the gas cover and jack and rests on the tongue rails. Place battery footprint in the center of the baseplate. Size baseplate to leave about a 1 1/2" to 2" front and back for clearance between the gas bottle cover and jack plate. This will give the fabricator something to work from. I also did an engineering drawing to go with it. You can PM me for that, but it may be a little different for the 16'. He can weld in the L-iron stiffeners and threaded rods for the holdown.

3. The fabricator carefully tack welded aluminum to fit the bracket. Like I said, I had to spruce it up by polishing and adding trim. The aluminum trim and rivets are from Lowes or Home Depot. The International Medallion was from Airstream via my local dealer.

All the photos that I have are posted on my photo page under RSEAGLE.

Hope this helps.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 01-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
I guess if price is no object, the $3,898 cost for the SFC A50 and the $79 per 4-Pack of Fuel Cells and the $25 Hazardous Material Shipping Charge wouldn't bother me.

Smart Fuel Cell - POWERS YOUR INDEPENDENCE

I'll guess I'll have to stick with my Honda generator for now.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 01-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Yeah, it doesn't come cheap.. although it does come cheaper then that.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:44 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
The EFOY 600 (25W) is $2600. EFOY 1200 (50W) is $3900. EFOY 1600 (65W) is $4500.

10L of ULTRA PURE methanol fuel is $29.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Will the 2 6V golf cart batteries fit in the battery box on a 19ft Bambi? Sure doesn't look like it.

Replace the 2 group 24 batteries that come with it with the golf car batteries would require replacing the battery box, from photos below, not sure if there is room?

Group 24 batteries: 10.87 X 6.58 X 9.97
Golf Car Batteries: 10.37 X 7.13 X 11.57

Swapping batteries would add a total of 16lbs to the tongue weight

Has anyone done this mod on a Bambi?

campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk
Will the 2 6V golf cart batteries fit in the battery box on a 19ft Bambi? Sure doesn't look like it.

Replace the 2 group 24 batteries that come with it with the golf car batteries would require replacing the battery box, from photos below, not sure if there is room?

Group 24 batteries: 10.87 X 6.58 X 9.97
Golf Car Batteries: 10.37 X 7.13 X 11.57

Swapping batteries would add a total of 16lbs to the tongue weight

Has anyone done this mod on a Bambi?

Did it! First, remove the hatch and place the 6VDC golf cart batteries in the box. Give yourself enough room for the cables and use some wood to see what height for the riser you will need. Then have a welder fab the riser from aluminum 'C' channel, rivet it on, spray to match and re-rivet the hatch back on. DONE DEAL! Now, 2 Lifeline 6VDC golf cart batteries.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote